Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #57
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
But it is coming from excess crankcase pressure. The excess pressure is forcing clean oil through your PCV hose.
As is every PCV system with a catch can attached to it that catches oil...

Blow by is contaminants blowing by the piston oil rings into the crank case, eg fuel and carbon etc.

My catch can like almost every other catch can on this forum has only ever caught oil, that looked clean enough to be used again, i have kept all of my "caught" oil and it still looks perfectly fine there isn't any form of discolouration not even on the top where water/fuel would sit.

I do not have excessive crank case pressure the car is stock, stock boost etc etc nothing has been modified yet.

There are several changes i will be implementing once i have more engine bay room after i complete my intended mods in the next few weeks.

I plan on running 2 catch can's, longer lines, better mounting locations, additional wire mesh in both catch cans in the required areas like i posted previously in this thread and also wire mesh in the bottom of the can so the oil has something to stick to.

I plan to keep working/modifying this system until i have zero or near enough to zero oil going into my intake.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #58
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
But it is coming from excess crankcase pressure. The excess pressure is forcing clean oil through your PCV hose.
That makes sense. Would a breather cap help?

If you add multiple catch cans and more filtration in the PCV hose loop could it get too restrictive? What happens if you add too much restriction in that loop?
Old 05-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #59
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
I would urge you to try the RX Catch can (Google them for the web site). I have them on my two Camaros (SS and a ZL1) and my 2014 Stingray. When they replaced my ZL1 Blower for the recall it was clean with no oil in it.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #60
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
I'll be relocating my catch can and installing a 2nd one after I get my mods installed.
For the time being I have installed more steel mesh in the actual can base.

Z06 Bryan do you have photos of the blower with the lid removed.
Here are the pics of the opened up LS9 supercharger.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #61
ZO6 Bryan

Sorry but my phone will only one pic at a time.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 AM   #62
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

do you have a close up of the intake ports or anything?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #63
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
This is the install location of my catch can:

Update:
I am nearing 20,000km (12,427miles) now so today I thought I would take the blower lid off and inspect for oil that the catch can is possibly not collecting. Not happy I did find some oil......I just hate to think how bad this would be without a catch can at all.

Here are the intake ports which look rather nice to be honest the fuel is cleaning the oil off and the valves too although i wasn't able to get the camera in to take a picture of the valves they were crystal clean like the port where the fuel is hitting.

Zoomed in version of the same port, you can see where the fuel has cleaned the oil off the port.

Ok so what to do now and the reasons why this is happening:
I believe the issue can be a couple of scenarios or a combination of these scenarios.
1. Heat, the location of the catch can does not get cool air so the oil inside the can is not able to condense and liquefy from oil vapor into oil. (To some degree it will be condensing just not all of it in this case)
2. Heat the system just runs hot combined with the above it does no favors

Solutions are:
1. Get a glass fuel filter and mount it on the return oil line as close to the catch can as possible, this should catch anything the can misses and run back into the catch can. Looks like this:

2. mount it on the other side where there is a lot more space, once the air box is removed and you have either an OTR or a pod filter
3. run 2 catch cans and a glass fuel filter - this is what i will be doing once i get it tuned with the Duspeed OTR. I have circled where I will be mounting the 2nd catch can.

(Note: I do not currently have the OTR fitted as I have not gotten the car tuned for it yet so I am running the stock airbox as seen in the first picture)

you need to get the CC in cold air for it to work well, the cooling of gases is what condenses the vapor. I put mine in the RotoFab box.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #64
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
do you have a close up of the intake ports or anything?
Nope, it's back on the car now. There was nothing to take a pic of. They were dry.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 AM   #65
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Nope, it's back on the car now. There was nothing to take a pic of. They were dry.
I think the PCV system on the LS9 is quite different because of the dry sump.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #66
2013zl1guy

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I empty my elite can about every 500 miles and it is half full, which seems like a lot. I drove 700 miles in one day before, all highway, and it was nearly full. Can is mounted by intake so the hoses are longer. So when people have 1000 miles and 1/16" I'd think they get a lot that makes it through, or their can is more restrictive preventing the vapor from freely flowing. I scheduled a 2 week reminder on my calendar just to check the damn thing

No idea what anything looks like on the output side of my can. Either the can is working extremely well, I have other issues, or both.
2013zl1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #67
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
I think the PCV system on the LS9 is quite different because of the dry sump.
There is a vent from the oil tank on the clean air side. But on the dirty side(where you'd put the can) it has the same little loop hose from the intake valley cover to the snout as the ZL1.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #68
cbass

Drives: .
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I also don't have a ZL1 but a 1LE and a RX Catch can instead of a Elite catch can. However, I had to take the intake manifold off some time ago at around 15K miles and I have run the catch can and the 1LE pvc oil separate kit on the clean side since day 1 and there was a descent amount of oil in there. I don't think any of these catch cans are as effective as they advertise. I think I am just going to vent to atmosphere. I have had good luck doing that on other vehicles. Yes, it is installed properly.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote