Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Attababy Sucks to go through what you're going through. Sounds like you have an excellent attitude about it. Whoa is me won't get it rebuilt bigger and badder. Best of luck to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Someone needs to catch the gremlin running around the country breaking engines!!
No kidding. It was not a good weekend for 5th gens for sure
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Can't wait to see this build!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Definitely coming back bigger and badder. Going with an aluminum block this time and more cubes with more compression.
Now your talking!! I have a Warhawk block like we use in the record holding GTO,runs 8.70s @3900 lbs..Call me up ill help you all I can
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Wow Jason, sorry to hear but you know the reason... So I'll not state the obvious... I'm thrilled with my ERL, they are running a bit behind now though. Their main engine assembler passed earlier this year... Having said that, they are extremely good blocks... Look at their Turbo Extreme build... If I blow mine up again that's what I'll go with...

http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-...-block-sleeved

It lists 1500 hp but my four bolt is way beyond that at the flywheel with no issue with the motor. We are not pushing any water... LSA heads and oversized head studs... There is a sand dragster pushing 2200 hp with turbos on my exact same rotating assembly, with four bolt heads...

Give em a call and see what they can do for you... I'll get you a contact name if you need it...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Hey brother been a while sorry for your loss but I have to amit I am excited to see what you do next!

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Definitely wasn't the block as it was timing that caused the heads to lift. It was hot out and intake temps went up and computer couldn't pull timing fast enough. Since I now have the option I'm going with an RHS or an ERL block this time. Can u price me a 436 block?
How is a new block of any brand going to solve the computer timing adjustment problem that you mention?

Shouldn't a better grade of fuel be in question instead?

If you go RHS or ERL LS9/A block there is the piston squirter option that will reduce the heat of the piston. Seems to help the ricers while they run timing and high boost numbers that your F2 is capable of producing.

Other than increasing the deck thickness of the heads or block, the other item is the head bolts and making sure that the strongest grade is used.

None of above which will change how the computer responds.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
How is a new block of any brand going to solve the computer timing adjustment problem that you mention?

Shouldn't a better grade of fuel be in question instead?

If you go RHS or ERL LS9/A block there is the piston squirter option that will reduce the heat of the piston. Seems to help the ricers while they run timing and high boost numbers that your F2 is capable of producing.

Other than increasing the deck thickness of the heads or block, the other item is the head bolts and making sure that the strongest grade is used.

None of above which will change how the computer responds.
Thanks for your insight but I already stated I knew the cause. Surely your not implying I actually thought a new block would fix this issue? I'm only talking about the new block because it will be much lighter. The timing wasn't that far off as yes it allowed the heads to lift but it didn't eat plugs and throw shit everywhere. Intake temps went up and it didnt pull enough timing fast enough. Again, this is not a street car that is tuned to run pump gas and be a daily driver. It's a full out race motor that only runs c16 race fuel so fuel is not an issue. We r still learning the Holley dominator software. If u ever go to the race track people blow shit up everyday. That's just part of this sport when your pushing the limits. Ill get my new motor installed and be safe on timing and back in the power from there. Most people would freak out over this but I fully expect to be breaking stuff trying to push the envelope.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
How much boost were you running when you lifted the heads?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Thanks for your insight but I already stated I knew the cause. Surely your not implying I actually thought a new block would fix this issue? I'm only talking about the new block because it will be much lighter. The timing wasn't that far off as yes it allowed the heads to lift but it didn't eat plugs and throw shit everywhere. Intake temps went up and it didnt pull enough timing fast enough. Again, this is not a street car that is tuned to run pump gas and be a daily driver. It's a full out race motor that only runs c16 race fuel so fuel is not an issue. We r still learning the Holley dominator software. If u ever go to the race track people blow shit up everyday. That's just part of this sport when your pushing the limits. Ill get my new motor installed and be safe on timing and back in the power from there. Most people would freak out over this but I fully expect to be breaking stuff trying to push the envelope.
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #24
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
30lbs
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Jason, have you looked at the LSnext block from Dart?

http://www.dartheads.com/products/en...ext-block.html

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=518959

I realize this may not be exactly what you want and I am not sure about oil pan fitment but might be worth looking into.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would be going with an RHS block if I were in your shoes.
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
So this sounds more like the tune/r was a contributor.

Yes, I have seen lots of other people breaking on the track since the 1980s. I have even personally made my own scrap.

As for the RHS, you probably already know of the proprietary ancillary components since it sounds like you are already looking into it. I am enjoying mine.

good luck with what ever you decide. hope everything works out with your track car.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The RHS block does come with the cam plate/rear cover plate.. The one aspect is the front timing cover. You can weld up the stock cover and move the cam sensor up, which we do most of the time.. LPE offers a cover for $159, and then $250 through Comp for the 2 piece cover kit. C5R timing chain with 2 extra links not a problem.. Past that you need a link bar lifter set (I like the Comp Short Travels for Hydraulic or the Comp race solids), and plugs for the oil squirters if you are not using them.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote