Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Installing a PikePass (Oklahoma)

I recently got a state pike pass to ride the toll roads without having to pull over and dump change in the bucket. What you get is a adhesive about the size of a credit card to mount to your windshield. The instructions say to mount it below the rearview mirror, which in our case puts it almost dead center of the window. Dont wanna do that.
Our cars also have a portion of the window blacked out around the mirror so Im not sure if mounting one in that area would work.
Does anyone here have one of these from Oklahoma?..im sure other states issue them as well. The installation is a one time deal. If I put it on and its wrong, I have to destroy the card and reorder it.
Any PROVEN advice would be appreciated.

A lil more info: the pike pass here is an adhesive that uses the windshield as an amplifier according to the documentation that came with it so any suggestions to put it in the glove box wont work.

Last edited by RIPws6; 07-16-2013 at 09:46 PM.
RIPws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I mounted my pikepass just behind the rearview mirror, it's about the only place you can put it without seeing all of it.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
What about on the flappy sun blocker thing over your head(I'm sure that's not the technical name lol) just stick it on there and whenever you wanna flash it just flip the thing down. It'll be out of sight and easily accessible.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
RIPws6

hworth, have you heard of anyone putting them in the blacked out area? I have heard of people in other states using similar technology doing this but wanted to be sure. If that is the case it would hide the darn thing. They sure do stick out!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
RIP. I have mine mounted where you're talking about. You can barely barely make it out if you're actually looking for it from the outside. Haven't had 1 issue with it not being read by the toll gates. I had it in the same place on my '12 SS with no problems ever. I've asked people to find it and they don't even see it until I tell them where it is.
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
RIPws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm T View Post
RIP. I have mine mounted where you're talking about. You can barely barely make it out if you're actually looking for it from the outside. Haven't had 1 issue with it not being read by the toll gates. I had it in the same place on my '12 SS with no problems ever. I've asked people to find it and they don't even see it until I tell them where it is.
Took your advice and placed it there. I hit the road tomorrow...will report back then. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Pretty sure my "east coast" thingy works the same as yours. I don't think it detracts at all from the appearance. Mine is just below and to the right of center.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Mine is to the right of the blacked out area, not below it. Works fine.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
hworth, have you heard of anyone putting them in the blacked out area? I have heard of people in other states using similar technology doing this but wanted to be sure. If that is the case it would hide the darn thing. They sure do stick out!
I placed mine there because I was having a tint strip put across the windshield, so I placed it a little lower but still mostly hidden by the rearview mirror.
I think it will work where you have put it, Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Here in Jersey we have EZ Pass and I have it mounted in a tag holder with suction cups in the black area without any issues or tickets from the transit dept.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I have an Indiana EZ Pass. It attaches using something similar to Velcro but it's all plastic and the pass is a plastic box rather than a sticker like Oklahoma and Kansas use. I had a Kansas pass on mine a few years ago and it was a pain to remove. It does destroy it and takes a razor blade to get it all off.

The EZ Pass I have now, I put it in the black area behind the mirror so it is nearly invisible. Can't see it from outside at all. and it works fine. I would have taped yours on to see if it works before actually sticking it on. Hope it works fine.

You could also black it out with paint or Sharpie to help conceal the ugly thing on the inside.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
I also have EZ pass in Northern Virginia. Installed in the blacked-out area. No problems.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Strzelec

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
I keep mine in the center console and when I use it I just lay in on the dash then put it away. Works every time....
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
Took your advice and placed it there. I hit the road tomorrow...will report back then. Thanks!
Cool, it'll work just fine. I couldn't stand the look of it anywhere else. Got a guy here that put his on his sun roof and it works. lol
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote