Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Steering wheel making a weird noise

Anyone else experience this? My steering wheel makes a weird whiny noise as I turn it. It sounds like whale songs... I can't describe it any other way.

I'll be taking it to my dealer soon, just wanted to see if I'm alone here.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi buckeyemike,

That doesn't sound like a good noise coming from your vehicle! I would be happy to assist in scheduling a dealership appointment for you if you would like to send me your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership through a private message. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
Anyone else experience this? My steering wheel makes a weird whiny noise as I turn it. It sounds like whale songs... I can't describe it any other way.

I'll be taking it to my dealer soon, just wanted to see if I'm alone here.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I've noticed the same type of sound (I think) It's coming from inside the car.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
You're not alone. This has been happening in my car since I bought it. It doesn't impact how it drives or responds so I don't worry about it. If you search you will see this was a big deal a while back but I think most people either live with it or take it to the dealer. There is a tsb on this issue and if I recall it has to do with the steering gears. I don't think I will take mine to get "fixed" as even the replacement units can have this problem.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Mine just sounds like it might be the vinyl rubbing around the wheel itself
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
My wheel makes a cracking sound when I use it as support to get in our out of the car, but no whale sounds.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
seminolejon

Drives: 2011 2LS V6
Wow, I have the same issue, just in the past couple of weeks.
seminolejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
5150 Maro

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I noticed it on mine......sounds like a whining noise when you turn the wheel sharply.
5150 Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I actually have a bit of the opposite. I can hear a whistling sound when the wheel is straight (like someone sucking through a straw), but when I turn the wheel it goes away.
- Separate Clutch Reservoir

To-Do List
- Solo Performance Axel Back Exhaust
- Headers (Undecided)
- Tune
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
It's the airbag clockspring under the steering wheel. Replacing it *might* fix the issue, but likely only temporarily.

The flat conductor ribbon rubs against itself, making the noise. Humidity sometimes makes it worse. It won't hurt anything, it's just an annoyance.

It's GM's way of telling you to turn up the stereo, or get a louder exhaust system.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
It's the airbag clockspring under the steering wheel. Replacing it *might* fix the issue, but likely only temporarily.

The flat conductor ribbon rubs against itself, making the noise. Humidity sometimes makes it worse. It won't hurt anything, it's just an annoyance.

It's GM's way of telling you to turn up the stereo, or get a louder exhaust system.

My SS has made this sound since day one. It is almost a moaning sound that changes in pitch with the speed in which you turn the wheel. I only notice it when I am backing up into my garage because the stereo is off and I am only idling. Otherwise the exhaust and sound system overpowers the moan.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator2U View Post
My SS has made this sound since day one. It is almost a moaning sound that changes in pitch with the speed in which you turn the wheel. I only notice it when I am backing up into my garage because the stereo is off and I am only idling. Otherwise the exhaust and sound system overpowers the moan.
Exactly!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
CAMARO_SS_2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
My 2012 SS also made the same sound since day 1. Kind of like the noise it makes when you scratch your jeans.

Took it to my dealer, they replaced the rack and pinion in the steering rack. It was fully covered under warranty, just had to demonstrate the noise to the service mechanic. After servicing, it hasn't made a single noise since.

2012 2SSRS Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic
CAMARO_SS_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_SS_2012 View Post
My 2012 SS also made the same sound since day 1. Kind of like the noise it makes when you scratch your jeans.

Took it to my dealer, they replaced the rack and pinion in the steering rack. It was fully covered under warranty, just had to demonstrate the noise to the service mechanic. After servicing, it hasn't made a single noise since.
Really?

Hmm, I hope my problem is what strych said and not yours. Mine has done it since day one. I don't want the dealer monkeying with it but maybe I should bring it up tomorrow during my oil change.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote