Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #57
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Muscle cars have muscle (Horsepower ) that's what makes them a muscle car.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #58
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
In the case of muscle cars being defined as vehicles with huge engines and crude suspensions, then that makes them much alike bodybuilders: lots of power, yet rather awkward in complex motion.

I'd rather use the term with a lot more freedom. The best thing about calling something a muscle car is that if your heart tells you it's a muscle car, it's a muscle car. I think the term 'muscle car' is more of a term of endearment than it is a vehicle classification. Notice that it is hardly ever, if at all, used in a negative tone. The new Camaro is a sports car, definitely. But to me, it's a muscle car.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 01-14-2009 at 10:22 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #59
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
EEk gad....there were only two people on here that had a clue of what they are talking about. Guess you have to be an older person, or have done some research to get it.

The Camaro isn't now, or at any time in it's past a muscle car. Period. It WAS and probably still is a Pony car. The muscle car was a mid-size car with an over-sized engine stuffed into it and usually a coupe. READ - family car with two doors and large engine.

The Camaro was made to go against the Mustang which was a segment buster when it came out since it didn't fit into the muscle car definition at the time. A Pony car wasn't a mid sized family car, it was a 2 + 2 from the start, but made for the masses, unlike sports cars which were lower volume cars.

These days all those older definitions really are toast. The cars that come closest to the original definition of muscle car would be the the Doge Magnum, Challenger/Charger and to a lesser extent the Chevy Impalla SS (although front wheel drive problem). Yet they don't exactly fit either....

Pony Car is still what best describes the Camaro..although the word makes Chevy guys cringe.

Today we have new word...sports coupe to describe the Camaro and it does a pretty good job of it. Today's Camaro is much more the sports car than in the past, but still different from a sports car definition in that it is a 2+2 and never really made to be a limited production car.

Today we are going to be driving a sports couple with Pony car heritage.

Take the muscle car talk over to the Dodge forum or maybe to the G8 board (a 2 door G8 WOULD be the modern muscle car equivalent)
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #60
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
A. has to have a V8

B. has to have terrible gas milage

C. has to be built for straight line performance ... this doesnt mean it cant go around corners, just means you could care less about them.

D. has to be rugged.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #61
prasutagus

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Lol. I think this question is literally on every single car-related forum I have ever been to. I think an even more important question is "Why is it important what's considered a muscle car?" Seriously, what difference does it make? I am not saying that to be flip, because there may be a good reason. And that reason will lead you where you will find the answer to the "What's considered a muscle car?" For example, does Muscle Car status affect insurance rates? Probably not, but if so, then look to the insurance industry for the answer. Does it affect what will be covered in a particular magazine or trade publication? If so, then ask the magazine publishers what makes something a muscle car. Does it affect what your peers will think of you? If so, then ask your peers what a muscle car is. Lastly, does it affect what you think of the car you own? If so, then the answer is within, grasshopper .

You have to answer the fundamental question of "why does it matter?" before you can answer the "What". The variety of answers and debate in this thread is evidence of that.
prasutagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #62
CHVY4LF
Chevrolet For Life!!

Drives: 07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
No matter how its defined i will always call it a muscle car. Sports car sounds like the euro cars like porshe, bmw, etc. even though i agree with most of the arguements here lets look at purpose, sure they are now being designed to corner and handle well unlike the muscle of past but as for use how many people are going to road race them because my guess is there place will still be on a straight drag strip so that being the case im going to have to label it muscle plus it sounds better then sports car.

Future Plate: PNYHNTR
Camaro of Choice: 2010 SS 6.2L 6M IOM
Current Ride: 2007 Silverado Classic Ext. Cab 5.3L DBM

CHVY4LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #63
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A muscle car is a fast car that has sufficient handling to head back and make another pass at the drag strip. So for the most part I don't consider Camaro's to be muscle cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #64
SyN

Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasutagus View Post
Lol. I think this question is literally on every single car-related forum I have ever been to. I think an even more important question is "Why is it important what's considered a muscle car?" Seriously, what difference does it make? I am not saying that to be flip, because there may be a good reason. And that reason will lead you where you will find the answer to the "What's considered a muscle car?" For example, does Muscle Car status affect insurance rates? Probably not, but if so, then look to the insurance industry for the answer. Does it affect what will be covered in a particular magazine or trade publication? If so, then ask the magazine publishers what makes something a muscle car. Does it affect what your peers will think of you? If so, then ask your peers what a muscle car is. Lastly, does it affect what you think of the car you own? If so, then the answer is within, grasshopper .

You have to answer the fundamental question of "why does it matter?" before you can answer the "What". The variety of answers and debate in this thread is evidence of that.
lol.. you clearly just don't get it. Did I ever say any of those pointless things you mentioned? WOW! Way to over analyze something that wasn't that complicated to begin with. Good Job guy! you're great! *sarcasm*

Anyways... actually had a Car and Driver magazine July 2008 issue with the SRT8 Challenger and the Mustang Bullit.. the front cover itself under the pic of the cars, on the left side of the magazine states Modern American Muscle Cars.. so I would go ahead and assume the Camaro falls in the same category if they're saying that about the Challenger and Mustang.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #65
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
lol.. you clearly just don't get it. Did I ever say any of those pointless things you mentioned? WOW! Way to over analyze something that wasn't that complicated to begin with. Good Job guy! you're great! *sarcasm*

Anyways... actually had a Car and Driver magazine July 2008 issue with the SRT8 Challenger and the Mustang Bullit.. the front cover itself under the pic of the cars, on the left side of the magazine states Modern American Muscle Cars.. so I would go ahead and assume the Camaro falls in the same category if they're saying that about the Challenger and Mustang.
except that the chally and mustang both handle like steaming piles of crap compared to the camaro
Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #66
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I geuss maybe just look at the car in question and IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S NOT MUSCLE!!!!!!!!!!!
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #67
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
A muscle car is a fast car that has sufficient handling to head back and make another pass at the drag strip. So for the most part I don't consider Camaro's to be muscle cars.
+1
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #68
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
except that the chally and mustang both handle like steaming piles of crap compared to the camaro
lolllllllllllllllll relax you dont have concrete numbers tested yet...until then the challenger and mustang are better....i expect the camaro to be better but not by much.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #69
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
lolllllllllllllllll relax you dont have concrete numbers tested yet...until then the challenger and mustang are better....i expect the camaro to be better but not by much.
You haven't read the V6 prototype Camaro reviews have you??

"And topping it all off, the Camaro essentially blows away its competition - the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger seem positively primitive in comparison, a couple of rough-edged, cost-cut, sedan-derived chunks of ordinary."

"The ride quality of the Camaro doesn’t even rate a comparison with the lesser Mustang, and it makes the Challenger’s handling feel plodding."

....I can't wait for the SS reviews!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #70
Killer CamAro

Drives: 06 cobalt ss, 1968 camaro ss
Muscle Car=Bad Ass

Camaro=Bad Ass in all categories

So the Camaro would be a Muscle Car, and then some