Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
powder coating.....easier on polished or painted wheels

so if i want to powder coat my wheels, should i get the polished aluminum wheels or the painted aluminum? does it make any difference? one easier than the other?
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
It would be easier if they were painted. They will either soda blast, or use and oven to burn off the old paint then powdercoat them your color choice. Use to work for a powdercoater here in the Dallas area. Did great work. If I can eventually find a set of used ones in a junkyard I plan on having them powdercoated.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
CFPC_2010
VIN #3026 IOM/IO

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Powder coating rims

Most new rims are actually powder coated already (even polished rims typically are clear powder coated). Either way the rims need to be blasted prior to coating - the paint must be removed or the polished surface must be roughened up for the coating to adhere well. The only difference is a powder coated rim could cost 2X to blast over a painted or bare rim due to how resilient the powder coat is. Hope this helps...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
It would be easier if they were painted. They will either soda blast, or use and oven to burn off the old paint then powdercoat them your color choice. Use to work for a powdercoater here in the Dallas area. Did great work. If I can eventually find a set of used ones in a junkyard I plan on having them powdercoated.
That's my plan... I want to find 5 junked wheels. One to use as a spare, 2 to widen to 11" to put 315's and the rear and I'll powder coat them all black. Then I'll have my original set of wheels/tires to sell to recoup some of my expensive. Hopefull the junked wheels don't wind up being more than a hundred bucks each though.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote