Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Motor trend takes challenger to the track...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lenger_rt.html

great read and to my suprise the RT had a great 1/4th going to it in 13.5 sec.
That is only .5 slower than it's 11k+ sibling.

great news for all car enthusiast
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That's a great run. I'm glad to see the Challenger put up such good numbers.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lenger_rt.html

great read and to my suprise the RT had a great 1/4th going to it in 13.5 sec.
That is only .5 slower than it's 11k+ sibling.

great news for all car enthusiast
I'll tell you what's not good news for car enthusiasts... The as tested price! Of that particular car, it's just under 40k. That's crazy.

Pretty respectable straightline performance for the mid level car. I'll tell you a few things that stand out to me.

1: They tested the middle of the road V8 car, yet the as tested price (which they gave no indication of it being an estimate) was a tad under 40k.

2: The manual transmission version of the SRT-8 (4146) is heavier than the auto version (4137). And the Manual version of the R/T (4154) is even heavier than that. According to MT that is. So I guess the argument that we don't know how much the manual will weigh compared to the manf. est. of the manual camaro's 3860 is out the window...

3: The R/T with an as tested price of just under 40k barely out performs the base Mustang GT.

4: The SRT-8 has the same steady state grip as the 28k Mustang GT.

5: The SRT-8 is only 4 tenths slower than the more expensive GT-500. Although the SRT-8 is outdone in most other territories.

6: If the Camaro is priced at or around the R/T manual's starting price of 32k, it'll be the best price performance deal of the bunch. Even if it's priced a few grand more it'll be a better deal than any challenger or mustang. And given that everyone expects it to be 30k (I think 33k or so is more reasonable) it'll be an even better deal. This is all speculation though.

Oh and according to Motor Trend's test gear, your quoted numbers are a tenth faster than theirs. They got 13.6 for the R/T and 13.1 for the SRT-8. I'm guessing it was just a typo since you got the difference between the two right.

edit: 7: The SRT-8 Manual is faster than the SRT-8 stick. According to their measurements of course. Better technology, huh?

Last edited by MajorTom; 09-30-2008 at 10:14 PM.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
kevin2323

majortom the rt must have been fully loaded, so imagine it without all the crap.

It did 0-60 in 5.1 as well, that is on par with the mustang gt.

There goes out the window the whole RT will never keep up with the gt argument. The old one was 5.6 now it does it in 5.1. I think dodge hit it out of the park with the manual.
So with a CAM, headers and tune you will beat a stock srt8 ....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so good.

I am seriously debating canceling my order....-_-
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
MajorTom

I bet it was fully loaded. But did we not read that the stick is an extra cost option? So you're not getting away with less than 33k. Which means you're getting ON PAR with Mustang GT performance for an EXTRA 5k. I'm sorry about all the capital letters, they make me laugh harder. The R/T performs moderately well, but unless you can get one with a stick and without a lot of options, you're going to pay a lot for only a mid 13 second car. According to the article the start price for the R/T stick is 32-33k. So put cams and headers on a GT and see where that gets you compared to R/T performance. I'm not a Mustang guy, but they seem to have Mopar beat when it comes to performance for dollar.

Face it. The way it looks now, you're paying a big premium for a nicer looking car. The best thing they had to say about the Dodges handling over the Stangs is that it absorbed bumps a bit better. Not to mention the GT matches it in figure 8 times. No, wait it matches the 15k more expensive SRT-8 in figure 8 times! It would seem Motor trend hates Mopar because they surely exposed the poor price performance ratio with this article.

Yeah, Dodge really hit it out of the park with the R/T manual. Mustang GT performance for only 5 extra grand. 10 with options. The GTO runs about even with the SRT-8 for R/T price. I'll say the Challenger has a more appealing look, but c'mon I have no doubts now that the Camaro will be equal in price to the GTO or R/T. You're kidding yourself if you actually believe this car was somehow a homerun.

And one guy in the comments section of that article put up a link to minivan testing and there are minivans, DODGE minivans that out-brake it.

I have to say it again, because it amuses me so. 5k extra to keep up with the CURRENT GT Mustang. And you're proud of them for that. Let's see how it looks when the new Mustang comes out. It seems like Dodge is making a car to compete with both the Mustang and the Camaro. Yet it's going to be more expensive than both of them. Is the retro look really worth that much?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
MajorTom

Quote:
Don't the SRT-8s come decked out? On a serious note, the SRT-8 for 40 or so thousand comes with brembos and more extreme suspension settings as well as a better equipped interior. Why get the R/T when you can get the SRT-8 similarly equipped for only a few grand cheaper.. Go faster without voiding any warranty (I'm sure that lifetime warranty would be affected by a cam install) and get better brakes and suspension tuning as well as better seats. Considering what you pay to get a decked out R/T, you'll have better luck a more valuable package. You seem to be forgetting there's more to a car than how fast it can accelerate.

I still think you're paying too much for a disappointing car. The car accelerates like a GT, but actually handles slightly worse. The SRT-8 will probably be a similar story to the Camaro. The Camaro will handle a lot better, but accelerate near the same. Think of your purchase that way, then tell me why you still want the Challenger.

One good thing about tihs article is that it shows the Mustang is over 3500 pounds unlike everyone claims. So the R/T only weighs what? 600 pounds more? And the Mustang guys say the GTO was fat.

Last edited by MajorTom; 09-30-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Don't the SRT-8s come decked out? On a serious note, the SRT-8 for 40 or so thousand comes with brembos and more extreme suspension settings as well as a better equipped interior. Why get the R/T when you can get the SRT-8 similarly equipped for only a few grand cheaper.. Go faster without voiding any warranty (I'm sure that lifetime warranty would be affected by a cam install) and get better brakes and suspension tuning as well as better seats. Considering what you pay to get a decked out R/T, you'll have better luck a more valuable package. You seem to be forgetting there's more to a car than how fast it can accelerate.

I still think you're paying too much for a disappointing car. The car accelerates like a GT, but actually handles slightly worse. The SRT-8 will probably be a similar story to the Camaro. The Camaro will handle a lot better, but accelerate near the same. Think of your purchase that way, then tell me why you still want the Challenger.

One good thing about tihs article is that it shows the Mustang is over 3500 pounds unlike everyone claims. So the R/T only weighs what? 600 pounds more? And the Mustang guys say the GTO was fat.
I don,t care about warrantee or full package because I was going to mod the srt anywayz but it would take longer. For example, I am swapping out the seats...so I rather pay less and get cloth, I am going to upgrade the suspension ect ect...so I rather start with a cheaper car with similar power and make it unique. My order came out to 39 at invoice price due to the stupid 2500 gg tax and added $ for the stick. The RT is 26999 invoice price, and is ready to be modded. I dunno my car is still not even in d status so who knows when it is going to get built since dodge decided to build the stick srt8s last. Oh and trust me the RT will probably handle better due to IRS but that is yet to be seen.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
kevin why even mod the srt8, its still gonna be slow.....=P
Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
kevin2323

haha according to motor trend I can officially brag about the srt vs the estimated camaro numbers.

auto camaro= 4.9
auto challenger= 4.7 tested
manual camaro=4.6
manual challenger=4.6 tested

looks like the old fat pig aint so fat after all eh?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
no its still ate all the cakes
Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
I bet it was fully loaded. But did we not read that the stick is an extra cost option? So you're not getting away with less than 33k. Which means you're getting ON PAR with Mustang GT performance for an EXTRA 5k. I'm sorry about all the capital letters, they make me laugh harder. The R/T performs moderately well, but unless you can get one with a stick and without a lot of options, you're going to pay a lot for only a mid 13 second car. According to the article the start price for the R/T stick is 32-33k. So put cams and headers on a GT and see where that gets you compared to R/T performance. I'm not a Mustang guy, but they seem to have Mopar beat when it comes to performance for dollar.

Face it. The way it looks now, you're paying a big premium for a nicer looking car. The best thing they had to say about the Dodges handling over the Stangs is that it absorbed bumps a bit better. Not to mention the GT matches it in figure 8 times. No, wait it matches the 15k more expensive SRT-8 in figure 8 times! It would seem Motor trend hates Mopar because they surely exposed the poor price performance ratio with this article.

Yeah, Dodge really hit it out of the park with the R/T manual. Mustang GT performance for only 5 extra grand. 10 with options. The GTO runs about even with the SRT-8 for R/T price. I'll say the Challenger has a more appealing look, but c'mon I have no doubts now that the Camaro will be equal in price to the GTO or R/T. You're kidding yourself if you actually believe this car was somehow a homerun.

And one guy in the comments section of that article put up a link to minivan testing and there are minivans, DODGE minivans that out-brake it.

I have to say it again, because it amuses me so. 5k extra to keep up with the CURRENT GT Mustang. And you're proud of them for that. Let's see how it looks when the new Mustang comes out. It seems like Dodge is making a car to compete with both the Mustang and the Camaro. Yet it's going to be more expensive than both of them. Is the retro look really worth that much?
The sticker on my loaded 2006 GT was 31k. Having sat in both, I can tell you that the Chally's cabin is far more comfortable and better looking. That near 40k price includes everything, like a sunroof and those little r/t decals. The base Chally R/T will cost right at 30k, and includes a good bit of the luxuries that the Premium GT has. I'll agree its base price should be in the mid 20's like the Mustang and not at the 30 mark, but it still has a fair bit of equipment at that price.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want an R/T with B5 blue paint.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
So with a CAM, headers and tune you will beat a stock srt8 ....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so good.

Between the SRT-8 and R/T I honestly think you'd be crazy not to get the R/T for the reasons you listed. Plus you don't get those fake carbon stripes, and even after the mods you'll still have saved a few grand for a faster car that gets much better gas mileage.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #13
kevin2323

Quote:

you can get a rt with a stick for 28k invoice , you get cloth seats in both the base gt and rt....except the RT looks better, has IRS, and has a 6 speed tremec transmission. So yea 1k for a better stick exterior and cabin interior, oh and a better motor....yeaaaaaaa dodge definately hit it out of the park with this one. Don't hate...appreciate...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
MajorTom

Quote:
I don,t care about warrantee or full package because I was going to mod the srt anywayz but it would take longer. For example, I am swapping out the seats...so I rather pay less and get cloth, I am going to upgrade the suspension ect ect...so I rather start with a cheaper car with similar power and make it unique. My order came out to 39 at invoice price due to the stupid 2500 gg tax and added $ for the stick. The RT is 26999 invoice price, and is ready to be modded. I dunno my car is still not even in d status so who knows when it is going to get built since dodge decided to build the stick srt8s last. Oh and trust me the RT will probably handle better due to IRS but that is yet to be seen.
If you're switching out the seats that's a lot of modding. It honestly sounds a bit like you're planning to rice your Challenger out. You gonna take out the back seats to save weight too? Making it your own is one thing, but ripping it apart is another. But anyway....

What we have seen is that as far as numbers go, the R/T posts less than impressive ones when compared to the GT. The stock GT did their figure 8 test faster than the R/T. Numbers aren't everything, but that's certainly off to a poor start as far as impressions go.

The weight distribution is the same, but I too would put money on the independently sprung car being more responsive and easier to drive fast. The idea that there's 600 pounds heavier and has gotten bad marks for the handling being numb and having a rough chassis already really turns me off though.

Another thing, your order came out to 39 with a 2500 dollar gas guzzler tax and an extra charge for the stick? I thought you were going auto? What changed your mind?

Tell me this. When you look at the performance of the Challenger R/T. And say you don't need a fancy interior because you're going to swap out the seats and all that. You don't care that it only handles ON PAR with a Mustang GT. You don't care that every source has said it does alright, but isn't fun to drive fast because it feels big. You don't like the looks of the Camaro. You dont' care that the Camaro will likely be faster and will at least meet or exceed the modability of the challenger. That it will be more expensive than either car. That it'll be bigger than either of the other cars. That you can get a Mustang for cheaper than the RT and a Camaro cheaper than the SRT8 (most likely).

Why buy the Challenger? The look?

I'm really confused.

But hey, it's your money.