Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Best Car Jack Ever

You're on a trip for business, and your wife gets a flat. The last time this happened, you were by her side and could help. All you had to do was jack up the car for her and change the tire. In all honesty, she could change the tire, but the jack was hard to line up, and pumping it wasn't really easy for her. After all of your hard weight training—some might call it carrying the groceries for her or helping her with her bags at the mall—you're in much better shape to do this work. With you out of town, and she's stranded. :(

It's a good thing that you put a special car jack in her car. Now, she can get that tire replaced with a lot less effort. Aren't you a hero?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
how much exhaust back pressure/psi can u safley put on a engine???

Then how many to raise a SUV??
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
That could be helpful. Till some idiot flips their car over and tries to blame the manufacturer!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
how much exhaust back pressure/psi can u safley put on a engine???

Then how many to raise a SUV??
You don't need that much pressure for this. I'd guess that the air bag (exhaust bag?) has a contact area of 3, maybe 4 square feet. And it only has to hold about half the weight of the vehicle. So, 3.5 square feet = 500 square inches. For a 5000 lb SUV, it would have to lift about 2500 lbs. So thats only 5 pounds per square inch of pressure. Turbo chargers add several times that without much issue. But, if you're worried ... upgrade the exhaust system first with something thats a bit less restrictive. That would more or less counter the added back pressure of the bag.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You don't need that much pressure for this. I'd guess that the air bag (exhaust bag?) has a contact area of 3, maybe 4 square feet. And it only has to hold about half the weight of the vehicle. So, 3.5 square feet = 500 square inches. For a 5000 lb SUV, it would have to lift about 2500 lbs. So thats only 5 pounds per square inch of pressure. Turbo chargers add several times that without much issue. But, if you're worried ... upgrade the exhaust system first with something thats a bit less restrictive. That would more or less counter the added back pressure of the bag.
The top surface area is probably more around 6+ ft^2 if the entire top surface were to be touching the car directly, which it wouldn't but still. It looks like the cylinder is at least around 2 ft across which would leave a 6.28X ft^2 of area on the top surface assuming the "bubble" is cylindrical, which it looks like it is. That could just be the pic though. Also, the force vector of gravity is always downward, so you're holding considerably less than half the total weight once the car is at an angle like it is once the bag is fully inflated. The physics of it makes it a great invention, but for practical use I don't know if I would trust it for anything other than a tire change. I sure as hell would not be under that car with that thing holding it up. I guess if it did burst on you, at least you'd get a nice big wiff of CO to calm you down while you get crushed
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
GJG

Drives: 2SS
be really nice if i actually had a spare tire......she's still gonna call me even if she's 3 states over

Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Thats pretty sweet, i had one back when i had my FJ, about 2 or 3 years ago. Never got a flat.

so i never used it.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
The top surface area is probably more around 6+ ft^2 if the entire top surface were to be touching the car directly, which it wouldn't but still. It looks like the cylinder is at least around 2 ft across which would leave a 6.28X ft^2 of area on the top surface assuming the "bubble" is cylindrical, which it looks like it is. That could just be the pic though. Also, the force vector of gravity is always downward, so you're holding considerably less than half the total weight once the car is at an angle like it is once the bag is fully inflated. The physics of it makes it a great invention, but for practical use I don't know if I would trust it for anything other than a tire change. I sure as hell would not be under that car with that thing holding it up. I guess if it did burst on you, at least you'd get a nice big wiff of CO to calm you down while you get crushed
Oh, you definitely wouldn't want to be under the car with that being the sole lift. But, it'd get the car up long enough to get a jack stand underneath.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28

Would it pass a shake test???
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

only half on the bag, so its wanting to squish out, a big gust by a passing semi could f you up mid tire change.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
My brother and I once stopped to help a lady change a tire on the side of the interstate. She said she had no idea how to change a tire. We asked if she had a jack, and she said "yeah... I think I have one in the trunk..."

And proceeds to pull out a 2.5 ton floor jack. We were both like "WTF?"

She said her brother-in-law bought it for her for her birthday, because she got flat tires a lot.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
BigDan

Drives: bug
Yeah these have been out for years now and Northern Tool sells them. I'm thinking about getting one after reading all the poor reviews on the Chinese built Craftsman and most other brand affordable aluminum floor jacks.

$119 right now at Northern Tool
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&ci_sku=144747

On the way to the local track last time I went I was going to go buy Harbor Freights 3k Rapid pump aluminum floor jack which is getting good reviews but I said fug it and drove 120 miles on my DR's

Harbor Freight Rapid Pump
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...ver-47246.html

Last edited by BigDan; 09-30-2010 at 11:48 PM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Course I should not judge to much, how many here every used the old GM bumper jack with the slot in the bumper, always fun the way they rocked as it went up, let alone hoping the rusty bumper is gonna hold. Way before anyone but a shop had a hyrdo, if you had to jack it up high from the suspension hanging, its was scary.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Here he is

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote