Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Wow those tires sound like a PITA. If I owned a car that used them I would definitely have a set of "Cold Weather Tires" to put on.
For me, my 1LE isn't my daily driver so I have no need to replace the tires, specially living in SC. I'll most likely replace them with the same kind when they wear out. They performed great at the track last weekend. I can see why people are upset but they're making the right call.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

Yes - TIRES.

You don't have to believe me - but I simply tell you to go look at this very site last March - people were upset because their 1LEs and ZL1s were sitting at the plant.............

Yes. Tires.

No conspiracy here.

Please read this over, and over, and over again guys.

Couple of important highlights to consider:

(1) If you don't have an order in for a 1LE or a ZL1 - please don't complain too much - because this doesn't effect you at all.

(2) The Goodyear Supercar G2 tires are REQUIRED to achieve the performance levels the Camaro team designed these cars to offer. And they cannot build a car with non-spec tires.

(3) The number of people who actually HAVE orders for these cars in the two-three month period of holds on orders...is quite small. Many more people buy standard SSs, LSs, and LTs.

(4) and finally: Sorry to folks with orders in the south, but the plant is in snow-ville...and no plant employee's safety (driving around in the cold), nor the integrity of the tires...is worth two months of time.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #45
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by papsz View Post
I have a hard time believing GM would suspend production of $55000.00 cars because of tires unless they are obligated to mount GY F1s. My 13 was loaded to rail from Oshawa and transported via truck late January, then tested by the dealer Feb. 1, as as result the tires were severly cracked before I took delivery. Of course no one knew about the tires
at the dealership. It is my opinion the GM really layed an egg with these tires and now won't produce the cars because of them. How about all of the folks in the south that just have to wait
My car was also built in early Jan. And I bought in late Feb. 2013. I had no problems. I guess was lucky all around.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #46

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just one more reason that global warming, if true, would be a good thing...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #47
CamaroW&b

Drives: SS / ZL1 Kit retrofit
I just crashed my car two weeks ago because of the these dam tires. The traction couldn't hold the car -.-

Performance: ZL1 Corsa Catback Exhaust - CAI - Kooks 1 7/8"x3" Long tube headers.

Exterior: Full ZL1 body kit conversion.

Suspension upgrades
CamaroW&b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
suzook

Drives: camaro
While we are on the subject of "summer" tires. The people on this board are being ridiculous with worrying about driving on the pzeros in cold weather. I have driven a few times the last few weeks in temps of 18degrees.... and guess what? Im still alive!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #49
papsz

Drives: Crystal Red 2013 ZL1
Here is the point I was making, GM builds a car in Canada and sells it to all areas of the country, I'm assuming only a small percentage of dealers knew about the tire issue, matter of fact the factory itself didn't appear to know until problems started to surface. After I ordered the car I read the online owners manual and was aware of the "summer only tire", but read nothing about storage below 20 or driving below 40.
I live in ND and in my town alone there are at least a half dozen zl1s. Rather than produce the car with a tire that will work in all areas (I read on Camaro5 about several options that won't crack, even apps for Corvettes), they suspend production instead, seems economically flawed.
papsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #50
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
There may be something to do with artificially curbing production due to several factors. One of them that cars don't usually sell well in winter months overall, there's plenty of ZL1s from 2013 still hanging around, 1LEs, not sure if they're selling a crap load of them, although percentage-wise Camaro5 SS buyers tend to lean that way if possible. And the tire issues are one headache they don't have to deal with this year. Probably a learned lesson from last year, and there was probably a back and forth fencewalk on whether or not to continue production. In the end, you want a ZL1 or 1LE, you'll just have to wait.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #51
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just one more reason that global warming, if true, would be a good thing...lol...
Please tell me you're joking.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
There may be something to do with artificially curbing production due to several factors. One of them that cars don't usually sell well in winter months overall, there's plenty of ZL1s from 2013 still hanging around, 1LEs, not sure if they're selling a crap load of them, although percentage-wise Camaro5 SS buyers tend to lean that way if possible. And the tire issues are one headache they don't have to deal with this year. Probably a learned lesson from last year, and there was probably a back and forth fencewalk on whether or not to continue production. In the end, you want a ZL1 or 1LE, you'll just have to wait.
The dealer by me has 3 ZL1's . 1 vert 2 coupes . Had them all summer,too.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #53
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The ZL1 was engineered, designed, and federally certified with the Goodyear tires. The EPA ratings and all safety ratings were done with those tires. In order to sell the car with different tires, I would imagine that they would have to recertify with the Feds. That is the bureaucracy for you. There are a lot of people in this country that live in areas that never reach 20 degrees and some that never see 40 degrees. However, the cars are built in Canada. I would imagine that 20 degree weather is not very uncommon in Canada in the winter time. Since these cars will be driven around in Canada for the process of moving them from the production line to the parking lot to the rail cars it only makes sense to temporarily suspend production. Compared to the total sales of Camaros, the number of customers impacted by this will be minimal. The customers for these cars also generally know exactly what they want and will be willing to wait a couple of months for their car. I waited nearly 4 months before my car was even accepted for production. I placed my order the first week of July 2012, and did not even know if the car would be produced until the very end of October 2012.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #54
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
LOL. Really............
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_727 View Post
The dealer by me has 3 ZL1's . 1 vert 2 coupes . Had them all summer,too.
....is there an ADM on them? Whats their asking price? BTW in regards to the other post prior to yours, 1LE's don't hang around here too long.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #55
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Time to move the assembly line to , let's say FL
Problem solved ,
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #56

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Ok, you got me...

However, I will take a retreating glacier over an advancing glacier every chance I get...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote