Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Mongojoe

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE NPP, NAV, Recaros
First Week with My 1LE - Goods (and Others)

This car is absolutely sick! Thanks to all on the board that talked me into the 1LE vice a straight SS.

I was concerned about fitting in the Recaros (snug but not uncomfortable), ride quality (VERY impressive for what the car is - light years beyond any Mustang I have driven), and wet traction (this is hairy - Michelin AS3s for me come winter). The car is comfortable, noisy where it should be (NPP is the best), and the tech is modern enough for me. Visibility isn't as bad as everyone bitches about on car mags, in my opinion, and the quality of the interior fit and finish is much better than I experienced in a 2010 rental SS. The car is a bit heavy but is still very nimble - 426HP and those fat wheels will do that!

Now, for some other items. Have tried the #5/#20 fuse pull to reset the Octane map after 2 tanks of gas. This works! Everyone should do it after they have run a few tanks of hi test through. I'm sure the dealer had regular grade in there.

Can't live with CAGS. Bought the SLP skip shift override cable and will install it shortly.

Found a drip mark in the finish from what appeared to be bird poop. It will not come off and I will likely have to have a body shop look t it. Must've occurred before I picked the car up. I have since found out that Camaro paint quality is really piss poor. I had a 67 RS with original paint in High School (Grandma's car), and never saw anything like this. Also have had Toyoats and Hondas left outside daily for years and have never had this issue. Hopefully the move to the ATS line will improve this. Clear bra is going on today.

Finally, the car is making a clattering, rattling racket in the driveline exhaust just behind the driver seat. I understand this is a "feature" of the NPP that is easily corrected by resetting/removing a disk in the exhaust manifold. It may also be "normal" for the TREMEC 6 speed, but the damn thing sounds like a UPS truck at low rpm/low speed.

Overall, a great car! Others may be faster or have better build quality, but few could get my pulse racing as much or have me look back at it as I walk away. Plus, the kids think its the coolest.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
This post makes me want one even more.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
I've had mine a month now and still have that stupid 1LE grinn every time I go out in it.......hope it never goes away !!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
I've had mine a month now and still have that stupid 1LE grinn every time I go out in it.......hope it never goes away !!
It is an I gotcha grin. Trust me on that lol.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
This car is very fun to drive for sure! I find myself driving down the highway, just because. After 1 month, I have driven 1038 of funfilled/grinning miles! Welcome to the family!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
zim2323

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongojoe View Post
... #5/#20 fuse pull to reset the Octane map ...
Huh???

I missed this. Anybody have links to this information please?
zim2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
RADEARTH

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE (RED HOT)
Whats the deal with the Octane map? Is there a thread that addresses that?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2323 View Post
Huh???

I missed this. Anybody have links to this information please?

I'm sorta confused about that as well.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
zim2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
I'm sorta confused about that as well.
I remember back when I had my 2005 GTO, there was a conspiracy theory floating around about the "octane map reset", even then. What was found, was that even if you reset it, it re-learned back to practically what it was before after a few hard runs (not fuel fills) and was largely found to be a pointless practice. Even then the big risk would be knock retard from improper fuel maps because it was starting from scratch.

The reason I wanted documentation is that I'm betting somewhere that someone has found out the same with any car. I would also put money down that any of the performance/tuning shops or experienced tuners would laugh that practice right out the door.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
zim2323

I guess this is the info he's talking about...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964

Not sure what year/model (manual vs auto) it's for, but ... um.... ok.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I love your picture..... Candygram for mongo haha
Old 05-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Damn it! My 1LE was built on 4/28 and was supposed to be here today! Found out it is still sitting at the plant waiting for pick up! This makes me just even more anxious and nothing I can do but wait!

Thanks for the feedback!
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
BUSHMASTER

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS 1LE NPP
Mongo I am happy to hear you love your ride! The fuse pull for fuel table was one of the first things I did when I got mine in March of 2013. I later learned that there was another fuse pull we could do for the NPP that makes the car switch to loud mode all the time. I had thought about doing it for a long time but never did until 30 min before heading up to Baytown for C5FEST. A buddy of mine who also has a 1LE talked me into pulling the NPP fuse before we headed out and I reluctantly agreed. The only regret I have now was not doing it sooner! The car sounds amazing and the crackle and pop when slowing down makes heads turn. Congrats on your ride and welcome to the 1LE family.
Bushmaster
BUSHMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #14
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongojoe View Post
This car is absolutely sick! Thanks to all on the board that talked me into the 1LE vice a straight SS.

I was concerned about fitting in the Recaros (snug but not uncomfortable), ride quality (VERY impressive for what the car is - light years beyond any Mustang I have driven), and wet traction (this is hairy - Michelin AS3s for me come winter). The car is comfortable, noisy where it should be (NPP is the best), and the tech is modern enough for me. Visibility isn't as bad as everyone bitches about on car mags, in my opinion, and the quality of the interior fit and finish is much better than I experienced in a 2010 rental SS. The car is a bit heavy but is still very nimble - 426HP and those fat wheels will do that!

Now, for some other items. Have tried the #5/#20 fuse pull to reset the Octane map after 2 tanks of gas. This works! Everyone should do it after they have run a few tanks of hi test through. I'm sure the dealer had regular grade in there.

Can't live with CAGS. Bought the SLP skip shift override cable and will install it shortly.

Found a drip mark in the finish from what appeared to be bird poop. It will not come off and I will likely have to have a body shop look t it. Must've occurred before I picked the car up. I have since found out that Camaro paint quality is really piss poor. I had a 67 RS with original paint in High School (Grandma's car), and never saw anything like this. Also have had Toyoats and Hondas left outside daily for years and have never had this issue. Hopefully the move to the ATS line will improve this. Clear bra is going on today.

Finally, the car is making a clattering, rattling racket in the driveline exhaust just behind the driver seat. I understand this is a "feature" of the NPP that is easily corrected by resetting/removing a disk in the exhaust manifold. It may also be "normal" for the TREMEC 6 speed, but the damn thing sounds like a UPS truck at low rpm/low speed.

Overall, a great car! Others may be faster or have better build quality, but few could get my pulse racing as much or have me look back at it as I walk away. Plus, the kids think its the coolest.

I have had my 2014 1LE for almost three weeks now. I traded in my low mile 2009 Z06 and have no regrets. I love the Recaro seats, the heater controls do not require you to read the info-screen to adjust and the car is simply a blast to drive. I have no rattles or alarming noises at all. (I am also free of the LS7 valve guide issue.) That is the bonus in all of this for me! This is just a fun and relatively worry free car to drive.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote