Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
GibbyGil

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Blue halos

Do ya'll know if blue halo rings are illegal in Texas?
GibbyGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
aren't they all illegal in texas.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
GibbyGil

All colored halos? That would be disappointing
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
yea blue light's are more for law enforcement knowing them easy ticket for you.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
We have a DPS Officer in the HTCC club. He says the only halos illegal to use on the road in Texas are red. He has blue on his camaro.

You can't have your halos blinking while on the road.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
In Ohio I read the laws and Blue and Red are illegal, and it doesnt say anything about other colors, But I run my greens all day with no problems. And, if I get a ticket ill just pay it and keep running them.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Hope this answers your question (from Texas Motor Vehicle code):

Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS. (a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:
(1) at nighttime; and
(2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.
(b) A signaling device, including a stoplamp or a turn signal lamp, shall be lighted as prescribed by this chapter.
(c) At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle.
(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:
(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

So, unless they flash or are over 400 candle power technically they can be any color. Now, for officers actually knowing the Texas Motor Vehicle code enough to know that you are NOT in violation??? I would not take the risk and just stay away from any colors other than white or yellow. Sure a cop runs a color on his, but he wont get a ticket even IF he is stopped. You probably will and will have to show up in court and have the prosecutor prove a code that does not exist. Sure, you will probably get off, but you wasted a day for each time you get pulled over.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyGil View Post
Do ya'll know if blue halo rings are illegal in Texas?
More on my previous post. Technically they are illegal in any color. Code specifies that the vehicle can only have 4 lights total on the front of the car. Running lights with head lights is 4, head lights with fog lights, 4; so halo, head and any of the others would be in violation. Chances are you wont get called on it though since they are surronding the headlight.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post
Hope this answers your question (from Texas Motor Vehicle code):

Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS. (a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:
(1) at nighttime; and
(2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.
(b) A signaling device, including a stoplamp or a turn signal lamp, shall be lighted as prescribed by this chapter.
(c) At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle.
(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:
(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

So, unless they flash or are over 400 candle power technically they can be any color. Now, for officers actually knowing the Texas Motor Vehicle code enough to know that you are NOT in violation??? I would not take the risk and just stay away from any colors other than white or yellow. Sure a cop runs a color on his, but he wont get a ticket even IF he is stopped. You probably will and will have to show up in court and have the prosecutor prove a code that does not exist. Sure, you will probably get off, but you wasted a day for each time you get pulled over.
I have had this laminated and clipped to my insurance just in case. Per our DPS members suggestion. There are a lot of laws and no one knows them all.

Running halos on since March of 2010 and never pulled over. I have had officers controlling traffic come over and shake my hand and ask where I got the nice lighting. I gave them business cards and tri-folds for AAC. lol
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
From a police officer, YES. They are illegal when used ON THE PUBLIC ROADWAY. private property is fine.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
GibbyGil

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
From a police officer, YES. They are illegal when used ON THE PUBLIC ROADWAY. private property is fine.

Many Officers out there have no idea. When you consider how many laws are on the books you can understand why.

I'll go along with what the Texas Department Of Public Safety Officer says. More so since he runs blue halos.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
GatorUSMC

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Many Officers out there have no idea. When you consider how many laws are on the books you can understand why.

I'll go along with what the Texas Department Of Public Safety Officer says. More so since he runs blue halos.

If it's not white or amber, I'd pull you over.
GatorUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
How do they define "beacon" in the context of the bolded line?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote