Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
TMoneySS

Drives: 2007 Shelby GT500
When can i start to add parts?

Im no sure if this should be in here or in the break-in section so if it needs to be moved please do so, thanks. My questions is when is it ok to start adding aftermarket parts on a new car? Does everything need to be broken in before i add shorties, hfc, cat-back exhaust? What about adding bolt in subframe connectors does the suspension need to be broke in first? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any and all help.

TMoneySS (Taylor)

TMoneySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You may want to get a few hundred miles on it but it doesn't really matter.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Sign papers, drive home, call Apex!

When the parts arrive, put them on and don't even bother trying to wipe the smile off your face.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Install them NOW !!!

No reason to wait.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
You guys are freaking hillarious!

Common sense would tell you this.

Break in motor per specs. Allow your suspension to settle in a bit.
Do your first two oil changes. 300 miles and 1000 miles.

Then go for it. You will need to get a new tune after your mods is why you want to let everything settle in otherwise the new tune will have to be re-tweaked after the engine loosens up.

I would drive like heck and start the mods tomorrow..lol
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
livefr33ordie
Looking for new home

Drives: Summit White 2SS/RS
I don't know of any reason to wait, other than not having the money to purchase all the stuff you want at once. I will add this, the longer you wait before / between mods the more you will notice / appreciate the mods that you do.

My Opinion.

Cheers
livefr33ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i would wait a little. make sure the car is good
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySS View Post
Im no sure if this should be in here or in the break-in section so if it needs to be moved please do so, thanks. My questions is when is it ok to start adding aftermarket parts on a new car? Does everything need to be broken in before i add shorties, hfc, cat-back exhaust? What about adding bolt in subframe connectors does the suspension need to be broke in first? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any and all help.

TMoneySS (Taylor)

We build many Brand new car with as little as 10 miles on them, but I recommend that you put at least 2000 miles on the car to be sure you don't have any defects in the car that should be taken car of before you start you mod list.

Be sure and do your research before you start spending your hard earned cash.

We test everything we sell on the Dyno, on the Street and on the Track.

So we can guide you in your purchase decisions to buy the right parts the first time.

We deal with many customers who make bad purchase decisions then have to purchase parts twice.

I am here to Help.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
livefr33ordie
Looking for new home

Drives: Summit White 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Be sure and do your research before you start spending your hard earned cash.

We test everything we sell on the Dyno, on the Street and on the Track.

So we can guide you in your purchase decisions to buy the right parts the first time.

We deal with many customers who make bad purchase decisions then have to purchase parts twice.

Great advice.
livefr33ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
TMoneySS

Thanks for all the info guys! Im not planning on tunning thats why im doing the shorties (for looks) and if my research hasent failed me the other parts shouldnt need a tune.

Planned parts list so far:
Corsa cat-back/Solo cat-back

Solo HFC

Doug Thorley Shorties

Halltech CAI

BMR/UMI bolt is subframe connectors

Then pay on the loan...

i think i have my priorities in order.

I already bought while waiting for the 2012s to become available:
Elite Engineering Catch Can

SLP skip-shift Eliminator

Last edited by TMoneySS; 01-27-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Forgot somethings...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys! Im not planning on tunning thats why im doing the shorties (for looks) and if my research hasent failed me the other parts shouldnt need a tune.

Planned parts list so far:
Corsa cat-back/Solo cat-back

Solo HFC

Doug Thorley Shorties

Halltech CAI

BMR/UMI bolt is subframe connectors

Then pay on the loan...

i think i have my priorities in order.
I am just trying to help when I say this but, Shorties and No tune, your totally missing the boat.

The car will never be all it can be without a Tune, Trust me I tuned over 300 of these cars.

Ted.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am just trying to help when I say this but, Shorties and No tune, your totally missing the boat.

The car will never be all it can be without a Tune, Trust me I tuned over 300 of these cars.

Ted.
Trust the Master on this. Don't waste your money on shortys!!!! My .02 cents, no change required, he he he.

LT's and a Tune TOTALLY change this car into a BEAST. I have the some of the parts you are looking to get already and OMFG it is like night and day. My car is SOOOO much better. While you are waiting for your break in period do some more research so you don't waste some money, again my .02 cents.

Good luck with whatever you choose though.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
TMoneySS

I greatly appreciate it Ted and TBone maybe i will just hold off on shorties i want to wait to tune till my warranty is up, so shorties do require a tune then?

Almost forgot i have been a member since September but i have been researching on here for about a year. I have been following your posts for about a year now Ted and i turst your word and have nothing but for you.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I greatly appreciate it Ted and TBone maybe i will just hold off on shorties i want to wait to tune till my warranty is up, so shorties do require a tune then?

Almost forgot i have been a member since September but i have been researching on here for about a year. I have been following your posts for about a year now Ted and i turst your word and have nothing but for you.
I appreciate that, I just don't like to see anyone WASTE Money on Parts that Don't Perform as advertised.

Ted.