Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #43
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The z28 is going to be the new top tier camaro period. It will be more exclusive than the zl1. It will perform better as a track car and probably in the 1/4 mile as well. Who cares what the price is time will tell. If you need recaros or carbon ceramics brakes they can be aquired like anything for enough money. I have had the good fortune to enjoy my car and feel privileged to own it. I would love to own the z28 as I have enjoyed my previous z28's. I dont think I could replace my zl1 with the z28 despite the performance and cosmetic enhancements. I do thank GM for building both models they make the choice difficult for those who have not purchased a camaro. I myself don't feel anger or resentment that this car was released dethroning the zl1 as the "latest greatest". I look forward to checking out the z28 at a show or the track and talking with its owner.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #44
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
I'm stoked that this Z/28 has been made.

The reason I am happy about the z/28 is that all that engineering that went into giving the z/28 a handling advantage over the ZL1 can be purchased for our ZL1's! Thanks to the Z/28, I can eventually purchase "direct fit" lighter rear glass, lighter seats, carbon brakes, stick on fender flares, and lighter/wider wheels and tires for my ZL1. So I benefit from all those hard spent GM engineering hours. . A corvette owner could bolt z06 and zr1 parts to a C6, and it is still completely differrent frame and body - the Z corvette supercars were engineered from the frame up differently and just looked like a corvette. But for us, they basically just announced that Gm has designed new "bolt on" handling parts for our ZL1's! . I bet, just bolting on the Z/28 tires and wheels will put our performance numbers ahead of the new z/28. Go team ZL1

And as far as 1/4 mile times on the Z/28 vs ZL1, I would bet the Zl1 trumps it. That is probably why GM omitted the 1/4 mile info on the sheet that compares all the models. Even with the 300 lb wieght diff, the zl1 has more power, and a much better power to weight ratio (7.1:1 compared to 7.5:1 --- they left that spec out of the comparo sheet too.) We will both have PTM and both have more power than available traction.
I had a 2006 Z06 with the LS7, it was very, very, very, fast. But that car weighed 3000 lbs(after market exhaust cut weight) and cut through the air like an arrow. The camaro has the drag coefficient of a brick. I put CAI, headers, no cats, and a tune - I bumped the Z06 up to 540 HP :( ($4000 netted me 35 hp, where as $4000 on the ZL1 would probably net 150hp.) . Even with 540, the car could feel a 200lb passenger and a tank of gas. I don't think the rpm happy LS7 is going to like lugging 3800 lbs around. It will show at the drag strip.

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 04-02-2013 at 01:59 AM.
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #45
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Memphis View Post
Anybody heard about pricing on the Z28, think it is going to between the LT and the ZL1. Imports like to charge more if they strip a car down. Example Porsche, Aston Martin, Yugo.
From what I have read it will be more limited production and more money.

that is why people are going of the deep end IMO. The Z28 is going to lap better but there will be trade offs.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #46
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I'm not sure if this has been said yet but I think what I'm about to say is correct. I think the Z/28 is going to be faster than the ZL1 on a road course, as has been pointed out with supporting reasons, but it will require a more skilled driver. Most of us would probably be able to wheel our ZL1's around a road course faster than we could the new Z/28. That thing is going to be bad-fast in the hands of a skilled driver, but make no mistake it will take a skilled driver.
Blueclyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #47
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I wonder if the Z/28 will have the PTM's the ZL1 has.?

IIRC, the rear end in the Z/28 is entirely different than the one in the ZL1.
Different type of gear set, different method of LS, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #48
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
The devil is in the details on this one..........I was semi-pissed when the announcement was made as well, but as I read further, realized it wasnt for me.......
I also was disappointed at first but realized that I am happy with my ZL1. BUT, I want those RECARO seats for my ZL1!!! LOL!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
IIRC, the rear end in the Z/28 is entirely different than the one in the ZL1. Different type of gear set, different method of LS, etc.
Yes, according to GM to preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28 and to save weight, the Z/28 doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #50
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Yes, according to GM to preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28 and to save weight, the Z/28 doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing.
This is what I was referring to......

Power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential featuring a helical gear set, rather than traditional clutch packs. The new design enables the driver to apply more power and get through corners faster, by continuously adjusting the torque bias to maximize available traction.
The differential works in unison with Chevrolet’s proprietary Performance Traction Management system, which allows drivers to adjust the level of throttle and brake intervention to match their capability and driving environment
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
While the Z28 is going to be the most expensive being the best 5th gen that's debatable.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #52
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
tires

Everyone who wants the wheel and tire combo need to realize that the tires on the z/28 are a full 2 inches shorter than the ZL1's rear tires. If you dont lower the ZL1 this will look bad! Wile i am sure it will perform well on the track it wont look right!
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpclutch@msn.com View Post
I'm the proud owner of a 2013 ZL1. I am also a proud owner of a 2008 Z06 Vette. Having said that I must admit that the 7L engine seems to be so much more responsive than the LSA, I'm not sure why but it is definitely quicker to rev, higher reving and puts the power down much better. Now this might have something to do with the "nannies" but I just don't know. I will not be exchanging my ZL1 for the Z/28 but I have a feeling the Z/28 is going to be the real "beast" with the engine, brakes and other differences!
If you ever want to check if nannies are operating, tune to an AM station. You will hear the nannies kicking in audibly. Seriously. lol
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #54
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I really don't think anybody with a ZL1 should be sick and disgusted with their purchase. Still an amazing car!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #55

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I really don't think anybody with a ZL1 should be sick and disgusted with their purchase. Still an amazing car!
I haven't interpreted their comments like that. "Sick, Disgusting, purchase"???

LOL.... Buyers simply wanting to know where exactly they might have spent $60K if they had the option at the time. The fact that this car won't come out for another year and that by that time, the Gen 6 will be well on it's final drawings...... RIGHT NOW, they know their $60K was spent on the highest performance Camaro ever produced. The Z/28 is not a drag car. I agree with you -- purchasing the Z/28 we hear is not street friendly (noisy, rough, uncomfortable, wind up windows, no A/C) will require some unamazing compromises that only time will tell are worth it. Meanwhile the ZL1 will bury just about anything it comes across and already is a legend in it's own time!

But that's what you said.... Amazing Car! Highly Agree! Great Product!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #56
WhiteyChev

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1. 1/94 produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Guys, it's not a competition. The Z/28 is made for a totally different purpose than the ZL1. The majority of ZL1 owners would not like the Z/28.

Lets not turn this into a situation of ZL1 vs Z/28. That would be short sighted. They are both really awesome cars and be happy for first what GM one with this platform, and second for those that have been waiting so long for he rerun of theZ/28.

One more point, don't think it would have been as easy to obtain a Z/28 as it is to get a ZL1.

I'm totally stoked to see the release of this new car.
what he said!
meanwhile, over at the drag racing forum, they're geeking out on which tail lights to stick on their car. It is a good time to be a Camaro fan.

Quote:
Drag racers have long turned to the Chevrolet Camaro to serve as their platform-of-choice for all-out, quarter-mile action. Chevrolet knows that Camaro fans are also fans of drag racing, so it only makes sense for the company to market directly to customers, with cars like the turnkey COPO Camaro. But what about those racers who weren’t offered a chance to buy one of the extremely limited number of COPO cars built last year, or in 2013, or those who would simply like to go their own way in terms of powerplant? For them, GM will build a limited number of NHRA-approved Camaro rolling chassis, which are outfitted with everything but a drivetrain. That part is up to you.
Just because these chassis don’t have an engine or transmission doesn’t mean you’re getting it for cheap. In fact, at $55,000, these rolling chassis are about the same cost as a Camaro ZL1, but don’t come with Vehicle Identification Numbers, and thus cannot be legally registered for road use.
That's TWO dragster versions. Sorta.
WhiteyChev is offline   Reply With Quote