Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
How I temporarily disable Hill Start Assist

Sorry if this is a repost ---

Hill Start Assist is deactivated whenever the red BRAKE warning light is lit.

So, whenever I am on a hill, I lift up on the eBrake handle JUST ENOUGH to see the red BRAKE warning lamp. Even if the display says Hill Start Assist Active, it is not! You don't have to lift up the handle enough to hold the car, just enough for the warning lamp to come on. When you want to drive off, do what you normally do and put the eBrake down as you go. It's starting to become second nature to me now.

I no longer have to wait 2 seconds or look like a complete idiot who doesn't know how to drive a manual.

Now, the display "Hill Start Assist Active!" is a reminder to me to slightly lift up on the eBrake when I want the car to release the brakes!

It's not the best solution (I want it switchable, or at least release the brakes when I touch the gas pedal), but it's something that I can live with better than that @#@$%^ 2 second delay.

Maybe someone can find a way to trick the HSA computer to think the red BRAKE warning light is lit, even if eBrake is not on, and create a CAGS defeat type device that's easy to install and won't cause the display to remind you of the eBrake while moving, or show the red BRAKE warning light.

Hope this all makes sense.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
I don't understand what the issue is that guys are having with the hill assist feature. In my car it works great. Never have an issue with hesitation. I like how it holds the car on the hill but when i'm ready to go it disengages and i'm gone. Maybe it can be adjusted?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
the issue is there should be a switch to turn it off. that is the real issue. I just read that a porsche DOES have it. Now I see a Honda accord has this too.

This kind of car lets you turn OFF the hill assist:

youtube video for the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. The driver was able to turn OFF the hill assist by first holding a "traction control button" till some yellow light went off. Right after that within 3 seconds, he pushed the "traction control" button again, and then on his dash he saw a little light indicator saying the hill assist was turned off.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 04-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
SackDaddy

Drives: 2013 SIM ZL1
Not my favorite feature of the car, but I am getting used to it.
SackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
I got used to it on a prior car and have no issues with mine at all. I wonder if some guy's HSA is not set up properly. It should release when you hit the gas. Mine does.
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Hill start is a waste... I'd tune it out.. Not needed... Just gotta be quick with the feet...
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Does it turn off when all the nanny's are off?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combover View Post
Sorry if this is a repost ---

Hill Start Assist is deactivated whenever the red BRAKE warning light is lit.

So, whenever I am on a hill, I lift up on the eBrake handle JUST ENOUGH to see the red BRAKE warning lamp. Even if the display says Hill Start Assist Active, it is not! You don't have to lift up the handle enough to hold the car, just enough for the warning lamp to come on. When you want to drive off, do what you normally do and put the eBrake down as you go. It's starting to become second nature to me now.

I no longer have to wait 2 seconds or look like a complete idiot who doesn't know how to drive a manual.

Now, the display "Hill Start Assist Active!" is a reminder to me to slightly lift up on the eBrake when I want the car to release the brakes!

It's not the best solution (I want it switchable, or at least release the brakes when I touch the gas pedal), but it's something that I can live with better than that @#@$%^ 2 second delay.

Maybe someone can find a way to trick the HSA computer to think the red BRAKE warning light is lit, even if eBrake is not on, and create a CAGS defeat type device that's easy to install and won't cause the display to remind you of the eBrake while moving, or show the red BRAKE warning light.

Hope this all makes sense.
for sharing this.. i absolutely hate HSA( ) and i think it's abhorrent that there is no disable .. i love everything about my car except this and skip shift.. at least the skip shift can be corrected easily. i'm gonna find a hill and try it out.
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Buy a 2012? Oh sorry, I'll read the post

Someone else mentioned that trick, good to know should I find myself in a car with one
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
I don't understand what the issue is that guys are having with the hill assist feature. In my car it works great. Never have an issue with hesitation. I like how it holds the car on the hill but when i'm ready to go it disengages and i'm gone. Maybe it can be adjusted?

Do you actually have "hills" where you live? If you do and it hasn't activated when least expected it will eventually. I have had mine kick on in reverse going up my driveway! Useless drivers aid feature added to sell more cars to drivers that cannot drive a stick shift car on a hill! The complaint from me is that it is inconsistent.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
As I posted in another thread, my HSA has actually gotten better. It doesn't wait two seconds, but releases when I press on the gas and start releasing the clutch. I'm not using the eBrake trick right now.

I've had my car in at the dealer, but he says (and I believe him) that they didn't do anything to the HSA.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
Same here really a non-issue, it disengages as soon as you start to move forward.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combover View Post
As I posted in another thread, my HSA has actually gotten better. It doesn't wait two seconds, but releases when I press on the gas and start releasing the clutch. I'm not using the eBrake trick right now.

I've had my car in at the dealer, but he says (and I believe him) that they didn't do anything to the HSA.
Glad to hear that you have gained some ground with the HSA feature Combover. Be sure keep us updated if this continues, we're interested in progress.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
For those who totally freak-out and HATE the Hill Start Assist feature someone posted a permanent solution in the DIY section. The guy figured that if he switched out the Yaw Sensor with the one from the Automatics, which doesn't have the longitudinal accelerometer, that would be the end of the problem. He has the part number as well as detailed info on how to swap out/install. Unbelievable the resilience and persistence of the folks on this web site. It seems irregardless of the nature of the problem, someone will have the perfect solution just like it came from the factory that way. I have to say I always I'm always impressed. Personally I'm starting to really like the HSA and have no problem with it, but I think an on/off feature should be available.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote