Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
sir574

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So I curbed my wheel...

Now what.... I have about a 3 inch scrape on my front passenger side wheel. It's there any simple ways to minimize this with out having to pay too much?
sir574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
There should be a place that repairs wheels in your area. The dealership probably knows someone. They usually have a trailer and will go dealer to dealer. Much cheaper than a new wheel.
woodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Dep130
Póg mo thóin!

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM
I did the same thing last year. I took it a guy outside of Massilon, I think it was Tuslaw. He did a great job. You can't even tell where it was , the cost was around $80, took around 3 hrs
Dep130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
Yeah it's a great morning to curb your rim.
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I've done this, theres a local place that fixes them for $120. Check your yellowpages I'm sure theres someone by you.

PS Don't try to fix it yourself. I did and while it can get close, its not right, and you'll never do a polish and clearcoat job like a pro shop does.. I'm having all 4 of my wheels refinished later this year due to this.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've done this, theres a local place that fixes them for $120. Check your yellowpages I'm sure theres someone by you.

PS Don't try to fix it yourself. I did and while it can get close, its not right, and you'll never do a polish and clearcoat job like a pro shop does.. I'm having all 4 of my wheels refinished later this year due to this.
Quit going to mcdonalds
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
There should be a place that repairs wheels in your area. The dealership probably knows someone. They usually have a trailer and will go dealer to dealer. Much cheaper than a new wheel.
That's what I was gonna say. Good advice!
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I bought a kit from a site online and was able to cover up a scrape on mine, but I wasn't too impressed with the results. I now have a couple other "bites" because the lot I now park in at work has a gated exit, that is slightly curved and ridiculously narrow, with curbs on both sides. That, and the fact that I can't see where they're at from inside the, means I have a few boo boos.:(

You could give these guys a try:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/

Honestly though, mine is my daily driver, so I'm just going to accept the fact that there will be some bumps & bruises. It costs at least a 100 bucks to fix one wheel, and it's bound to happen again anyway.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I bought a kit from a site online and was able to cover up a scrape on mine, but I wasn't too impressed with the results. I now have a couple other "bites" because the lot I now park in at work has a gated exit, that is slightly curved and ridiculously narrow, with curbs on both sides. That, and the fact that I can't see where they're at from inside the, means I have a few boo boos.:(

You could give these guys a try:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/

Honestly though, mine is my daily driver, so I'm just going to accept the fact that there will be some bumps & bruises. It costs at least a 100 bucks to fix one wheel, and it's bound to happen again anyway.
+1 This is who I use in ABQ, just refinished all my wheels and they quite honestly look better than new. They strip the clear coat polish the wheel and repair then reapply, they are stunning. If you don't mind the maintenance ask them to leave the clear coat off.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I bought a set of chrome curb feelers from JC Whitney... stylin'!!!

Kidding, but you almost need them in this car.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:

I am curious where u went to..
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
Quit going to mcdonalds
It was actually Checkers that I curbed one bad HEHEHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyo View Post
I am curious where u went to..
Wheel Fix It in Freeport, HIGHLY reccomended

http://www.wheelfixit.com/
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
Do a Yelp or Google Maps search for "wheel repair" or "rim repair" in your area. There should be a few companies that do it. I curbed my passenger side rear last Friday (one week after picking up the car! ) and have an appointment to have it fixed tomorrow. Most of these outfits are mobile for a number of reasons. For one, the materials they need are easily carried in a van or truck. Plus they'd prefer to come to you so that the car has been sitting for a little while and has cooled to ambient temperature. Radiated heat from brakes, engine & exhaust make it hard for them to use their fillers and such.
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #14
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:

Wow, you guys need to be more careful with your wheels.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote