Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
New rasp with Flowmasters

I've been running the American Thunder Flowmaster Axle Back for 3-4K miles now. I have been very happy with it up until recently. I've started to have 2 problems:

1. An intermittant vibration transmitting through the shift lever (auto). It only happens at idle when in gear.

2. A loud raspy moment with hard acceleration. It's always had some rasp at certain RPMs, but this is something I can hear in the car with the windows up.

I do have it clamped on, but I see no evidence of an exhaust leak. I've also checked for clearance issues, but it looks fine.

Anybody have any thoughts, I'm thinking of getting the stock suitcases welded back on.
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Or throw on a magnaflow resonated X pipe for probably the same or not much more as the cost of someone putting the stockers back on.

Plus side....I'm willing to bet your rasp will reduce quiet a bit or go away completely, and the tone may lower a bit.

Down sides (to some, not all)....your exhaust will become very smooth, with almost no burble/rumble to it. The loudness may also go down.

That said, its still better than stock. There is a video of someone with the AMT + resonated X in the flowmasters section of the sticky exhaust thread. Check it out if you want. Listen with decent speakers and you can hear the nice lows, but loud...it isnt. (and again, not everyone wants 'loud')
Old 10-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachocheese View Post
I've been running the American Thunder Flowmaster Axle Back for 3-4K miles now. I have been very happy with it up until recently. I've started to have 2 problems:

1. An intermittant vibration transmitting through the shift lever (auto). It only happens at idle when in gear.

2. A loud raspy moment with hard acceleration. It's always had some rasp at certain RPMs, but this is something I can hear in the car with the windows up.

I do have it clamped on, but I see no evidence of an exhaust leak. I've also checked for clearance issues, but it looks fine.

Anybody have any thoughts, I'm thinking of getting the stock suitcases welded back on.
1. I get this too sometimes, seriously doubt its anything to worry about. im over 15k.

2. maybe check the hangars, could be vibrating against something else thats metal. I had some noise like that too, made some adjustments and it went away. If its not that, then try the resonated x.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
cajun2010

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Resonated X-pipe works for the sound!

cajun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
while adding a resonated x may help with the rasp, it doesn't explain why the sudden change.... ????
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
the rasp coming during hard accel after a cold start? thats normal even with the stock cans....so is the vibration

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Weld it. That's what I'd do. Hell, that's what I did.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
ZaBeast07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: IPF SC'd 2010 LLT 2015 1SS/RS
I had the same problem. I went cat back custom exhaust with the resignator removal and it was raspy as helllll from 2800rpm on up. I went back and had my exhaust shop put in the X-pipe and it eliminated almost 100% of the raspy sound. I get it a little bit on cold starts, that's it!
ZaBeast07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
a red maro

Drives: Victory Red 2lt RS V6 auto
where can i find the resonated x pipe? I have flowmaster AT and I'm not getting a raspy noise going on 10G miles on it and still purrs like a kitten. I took mine to a local muffler shop and got them welded on also IMO. I don't understand why your having problems with your AT system. it must be the instillation that's giving you the problems.

a red maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
ZaBeast07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: IPF SC'd 2010 LLT 2015 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a red maro View Post
where can i find the resonated x pipe? I have flowmaster AT and I'm not getting a raspy noise going on 10G miles on it and still purrs like a kitten. I took mine to a local muffler shop and got them welded on also IMO. I don't understand why your having problems with your AT system. it must be the instillation that's giving you the problems.

I think my problem was I had them remove everything from the cats, resonators and all. Once he put in the X-pipe though it took the rasp away. Oh, and I had my X-pipe custom made the shop that did the exhaust originally.
ZaBeast07 is offline   Reply With Quote