Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
RX Catch Can Noise

Have a rattling noise coming from my RX catch can. Is anyone else having this noise and is it suppose to be making the noise? It only has about 3500 miles on it.

I know I have asked this before, but It seems to be getting worse and happening more often.

Last edited by Chaotic73; 09-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Chaotic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Is it always making the noise? Because it could be that your hearing the can filtering. Check the lines for leaks if you haven't already and make sure the can drain valve is closed.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Mine makes a hissing sound from the breather. The can itself I get no rattling. Good luck on finding out what it is. Hopefully nothing serious.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Usually if the valves are loud the drain got left open my mistake. Threads all the way out exposed is CLOSED, all the way in retraced is OPEN.

Double check (car idling place finger over the drain hose....should be no suction) and if it is to loud let me know.

Hissing is the air entering the breather and as it has a flow controlling checkvalve it does hiss.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Usually if the valves are loud the drain got left open my mistake. Threads all the way out exposed is CLOSED, all the way in retraced is OPEN.

Double check (car idling place finger over the drain hose....should be no suction) and if it is to loud let me know.

Hissing is the air entering the breather and as it has a flow controlling checkvalve it does hiss.

Can you post some pictures of your installation? I was having this issue when mine was mounted on the driver's side (on the post where the stock air intake attaches) and have since remounted it on the evap cylinder and the noise has gone away. I think I was getting vibrations through the sheet metal that amplified the noise because I couldn't hear it when I put my head in the engine compartment.

Here is a link to one installed to the evap cylinder, I installed mine on the other side of the evap cylinder:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=catch+v6
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Thanks Tracy! I wasn't worried about the breather hissing. I figured that's why it's called a breather. LoL ! A few others I asked couldn't tell if theirs was hissing or not.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Can you post some pictures of your installation? I was having this issue when mine was mounted on the driver's side (on the post where the stock air intake attaches) and have since remounted it on the evap cylinder and the noise has gone away. I think I was getting vibrations through the sheet metal that amplified the noise because I couldn't hear it when I put my head in the engine compartment.

Here is a link to one installed to the evap cylinder, I installed mine on the other side of the evap cylinder:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=catch+v6
Mine is mounted on the drivers side, I'll try and move it and see if there are any improvements.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Quote:

I have checked to make sure it was closed. I'm going to try and move it from where i have it mounted to make sure that it's not just vibrations. I'll let you know, thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
I have checked to make sure it was closed. I'm going to try and move it from where i have it mounted to make sure that it's not just vibrations. I'll let you know, thanks.
if it helps i have mine mounted on the engine cover stud and i hear no noises inside the cabin at all. From time to time i do hear the air sound when im outside the car and its idling
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Quote:

Ok, so I'm going to look like an idiot here. I went out to check again and sure enough it was opened (threads all the way in).

Thanks Tracy!!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
Ok, so I'm going to look like an idiot here. I went out to check again and sure enough it was opened (threads all the way in).

Thanks Tracy!!
This is a common mistake! You car should perform better now that its closed properly also!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Out of curiosity can leaving the valve open on the can while driving harm the engine at all?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Wont harm it, but wont catch any oil and creates a vac leak.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
that sucks
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote