Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Panther67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Question Oil catch can?

Anyone install an oil catch can on a 1ss or 2ss in socal and if yes is it street legal or for track only??? Just incase you dont know what an oil catch can is for:An oil catch can is used in turbo applications, or high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

Last edited by Panther67; 05-30-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Panther67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
kobSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I've had one installed for a while. Seem like they are pretty common as a mod now on LS engines. The 1LE even comes with one.

In terms of it being "legal" for the street, I dont think any engine modification is considered legal in CA. Highly doubt you'll run in to any problems though.

Have the RX Can on mine. Catches a decent amount of oil each time I do an oil change. Glad I've got it installed.
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
kobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Panther67

Kobss,thanks for your input regarding the oil catch can I'm sure that when smog check time comes we will have to remove this mod so the visual inspect will pass there for having to go back to stock soon i will be doing this mod for the sole purpose to keep the intake clean from contaminants and unwanted oil gunk build up.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I doubt that you would need to remove your catch can for visual inspection... I would be willing to bet that most SMOG inspectors wouldn't even notice it, let alone know if it came on the car from the factory... I have an Elite Engineering catch can on my car.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Panther67

13fastblkss, did you have a difficult time installing the Elite Engineering catch can if so I am looking into purchasing the Billet | # BC-175 from http://www.billetcustom.com and this sure looks like a piece of cake can to install hopefully I won't run into any difficulties so they say good ole murphs law lol..
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
13FastBlkSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther67 View Post
13fastblkss, did you have a difficult time installing the Elite Engineering catch can if so I am looking into purchasing the Billet | # BC-175 from http://www.billetcustom.com and this sure looks like a piece of cake can to install hopefully I won't run into any difficulties so they say good ole murphs law lol..
No difficulties at all.. its super easy to install.. hook up 2 hoses and mount it thats it.

Here is a quick picture of mine...

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Panther67

That catch can looks great in the engine bay it sure blends with every thing else and looks almost stock..I see you used some taflon tape to seal from any leaks excellent work 13fastblkss kudos on that..
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
13FastBlkSS

Thanks

Build#24869
Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Panther67

Quick question how and where did you brace the can to what area of the engine block/head or other... from the picture I can't tell where the brace is at..
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
13FastBlkSS

You mount it to the bottom bolt on the belt tensioner mount..

EDIT:

Build#24869
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Panther67

Right on, ,thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
It will not pass the visual inspection where it is a modification to the vacuum system.

If you want one just get the 1LE setup. I think it's $179 and then you can let the inspector know its an OEM part. No issues then and you don't have to add a bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Panther, you really want to add one that traps all, or nearly all the oil...if you install one on looks like you mention, you still have 40-50% of the oil passing right through an ineffective can. Not all are created equal. You want to stop ALL the oil, not just a part of it. There is a thread here titled "catchcan needed" or something like that with pictures of the internals and why some work and others let oil through.

What you do not want is one with no designated inlet or outlet that holds oil saturated steel wool right at the outlet. It is like taking a wet washcloth and sucking on it.....what happens? You suck water right out of the wash cloth. Same principal with oil. Don't pick a can by looks, pick it by function. Most don't ever test a can, they just install it and as all catch some oil (even a beer can w/2 fittings in it).....you want one that does not allow oil to just pass through and still cause the problems.

Also, out of over 11,000 of the RX can in use over 9 plus years in every state and many countries no customer has ever told us they failed emmissions, and that include visual inspections. But that's not to say it cant happen.

If you want more detailed info let me know and can give you all you could fit into your head.

Also, the 1LE separator is the cleanside....only 2-3% of all ingestion enters via the cleanside.....the dirty side is where it all enters from.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
i run a rx catch can and a 1LE seperator. one dirty side one clean side. works well. i recommend rx whole heartedly. I have a few friends and tuner that use the elite which also works.

Easy as pie install fyi. Catch that oil and your car will love you. It wont pass ca smog fyi as even the 1LE seperator is offroad use only...hate california taking care of your car is illegal.