Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
A6 tune for L99 - How good can it be?

I want to get a tune for my A6, to make the shifts firmer, reduce torque management in Sport mode and normal in Drive mode. And if I could really have my cake and eat it too, the tune would optimize engine performance in Sport mode and optimize gas mileage in Drive mode.

Now my options, as best as I know, are go to a local tuner or get a mail order tune. Both of these then have more options.

So, can what I want be done with a handheld tuner? If not, then I have to go to a local tuner or maybe Vector can do it. Am I correct so far?

If I get a local tune done with say HPtuners, can I store it on a handheld, so I can flash back to stock and back to the tune when I need to? Without going back to the local shop?

One last question. If I flash back to stock, go to the dealer and they flash an update for say the radio or cruise control. Then I or the local tuner reflashes the tune, will the update still be there?

I'm just looking for a solution and appreciate everyone's view.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
The best solution for your conditions is to buy HP Tuners yourself. You don't need the Pro version for what you want to do.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Tuning for maximum power won't really impact your fuel economy, as they are two totally separate operating conditions of the engine covered by different strategies. Tweaking your transmission shift points and optimizing the activation window of AFM will give you fuel economy gains. You can see some from the engine calibration, but there's always an asterisk on that.

If somebody tunes you with EFI Live or HP Tuners, then no, you can't really store the tune and flash it whenever you want unless you buy your own EFI Live/HP Tuners cable.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
Tuning for maximum power won't really impact your fuel economy, as they are two totally separate operating conditions of the engine covered by different strategies. Tweaking your transmission shift points and optimizing the activation window of AFM will give you fuel economy gains. You can see some from the engine calibration, but there's always an asterisk on that.

If somebody tunes you with EFI Live or HP Tuners, then no, you can't really store the tune and flash it whenever you want unless you buy your own EFI Live/HP Tuners cable.
DSteck, thanks. I think you are saying that a performance engine tune will also improve gas mileage, so there is no point in having separate tunes. I guess its all about combustion efficiency.

But separate tranny tunes would be beneficial? Can HPtuners or EFI Live make a tune with with different attributes based on Sport and Drive mode?

I'm a little leery of using something like HP tuners. To get good at something usually is trial and error. Its the errors I'm worried about. And I imagine that the transmission tune is even more complicated than the engine tune.

I guess if I have HP tuners, then I could get an HP tuners mailorder or local tune. I could just step back and let Vector do it, but man they are expensive, at least initially.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Tuning for power enrichment scenarios (aka wide open throttle) has absolutely no impact on your fuel economy. No, you do not need separate tunes, because maximizing WOT performance has nothing to do with your part throttle fueling or timing.

You don't really need separate transmission tunes, either. I'm pretty sure you can make normal drive tame and optimized for normal driving, and set up sport mode to be more aggressive. I haven't really dug into A6s.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Chris@HPS

Drives: 2005corvette
Tuning the new A6 automatic tranny is not for the novice tuner.
There is over 400 parameters with this new transmission alone. It is very easy to cause damage to this tranny if not tuned properly! We charge a little more for tuning the A6 since the time to do so is more involved with this tranny.
Chris@HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Get a Vector Motorsports tune or one from Jannety. They both have Transmission tunes and I can speak for the Vector, IT ROCKS! I had my AFM tuned out. Vector provides 2 levels of trans tune one more aggressive the the other!
For the A6's, a trans tune is a must !
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
You don't really need separate transmission tunes, either. I'm pretty sure you can make normal drive tame and optimized for normal driving, and set up sport mode to be more aggressive. I haven't really dug into A6s.
This is exactly what I have done. D mode is pretty much what the factory gave us. S mode is where I did most of the adjustments.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Had my A6 reprogrammed with tune and changed shift points on all settings..Dropped AFM. Speed limiter all that crap and man what a difference.

I have a friend who is going nuts over the AFM. He drove my car and went straight to the shop for a tune. Whole different car. I bought the auto for my wife but now I almost enjoy driving it as much as my LS3.

Its fast and fun no more falling on its face when the AFM kicks in..Man that drove me nuts...I mean My wife nuts

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I want to get a tune for my A6, to make the shifts firmer, reduce torque management in Sport mode and normal in Drive mode. And if I could really have my cake and eat it too, the tune would optimize engine performance in Sport mode and optimize gas mileage in Drive mode.

Now my options, as best as I know, are go to a local tuner or get a mail order tune. Both of these then have more options.

So, can what I want be done with a handheld tuner? If not, then I have to go to a local tuner or maybe Vector can do it. Am I correct so far?

If I get a local tune done with say HPtuners, can I store it on a handheld, so I can flash back to stock and back to the tune when I need to? Without going back to the local shop?

One last question. If I flash back to stock, go to the dealer and they flash an update for say the radio or cruise control. Then I or the local tuner reflashes the tune, will the update still be there?

I dont know if you are willing to Drive to DFW but I had ADM tune my l99 and OMG
I have 1 7/8 longtubes , Xpipe and Axlebacks
ADM Cold Air Race Intake
And a ADM Tune

My car woke up 50X more than stock.

off the line you gotta be gentle out of the hole otherwise you will smoke the tires About 60 mph its Climbs VERY QUICKLY to 90+ and I mean VERY QUICKLY

Thanks to ADM and there Tune this baby is totally different animal.

PM them on here or give them a call

ADMperformance.com

I Recommend Andy to anyone he knows his $hit .
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
i drove in the car with a guy that had a tune. there is a BIG difference and it will be even better with mods. i cant wait to get mine
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
A6 tune for L99 - How good can it be?

It can be DAMN GOOD!

If I get a local tune done with say HPtuners, can I store it on a handheld, so I can flash back to stock and back to the tune when I need to? Without going back to the local shop? With HP Tuners it will need to be stored on a laptop to get it back into the car. You will have to have your own copy of HPT and the cable required to interface with the car to do it yourself

One last question. If I flash back to stock, go to the dealer and they flash an update for say the radio or cruise control. Then I or the local tuner reflashes the tune, will the update still be there? Yes, it should be as that is a different set of tables than the trans uses. That is unless they come out with a TCM flash then I am not sure...

Mine was tuned with the SC install and it is night & day different! DO IT!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Jannety tunes are also awesome tunes! Any additional upgrade you add to the car, just email Ted and he will email you an updated tune! Not to mention this guy has been tuning cars for a Loooooooooooooong time! he knows his stuff! It is the reason I bought from him!

Richmond (Houston), TX
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Chris@HPS

Drives: 2005corvette
These new A6's when tuned properly change the car and the way it drives full circle. You can actually enjoy the car for the reason's you purchased it.
Chris@HPS is offline   Reply With Quote