Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #57
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
Yes, it's a Quicktime format. It's what I get when I pop a cd into the PS3 and tell it to import.
Damn dude, that sucks.

When I copy music to my PS3, I just load up a hard drive, or a flash drive with mp3's.... then copy and paste the mp3's to the PS3's hard drive. And it works just fine.

Just like you have copied every CD you have to your PS3... I've copied mine to my computer, in mp3 format. And I can burn an mp3 disc and listen to it while I'm driving my old lady's GMC SIERRA (or my own old Chevy pickup with the Alpine deck), or I can copy it to a flash drive and listen to it in my sister's AVEO.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #58
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Dude, have you EVER driven a new vehicle that reads mp3's off hard drives or cd's?
Yes, but I'm beginning to think you haven't. My VW with its base model stereo plays mp3, wma, and can play from a m3u playlist.

Quote:
And YES, I have plenty of time to manually select the folder full of my favorite songs while I'm driving. I'm not some techno-fearing old-fart.
Oh. Well, I try to keep my eyes on the road, and I think others probably do too.

Quote:
Do you realize that m3u files are merely "shortcuts"?
They are not shortcuts or symbolic links or anything like that. They are merely lists. In linux or CygWin, you could generate an m3u of everything in/under the current folder with the following command:
find > playlist.m3u
(except maybe they require a backslash instead of a forward slash, I can't remember)

And you are right -- they don't contain ANY actual music. You have to copy your mp3 files (in their folders) along with the list.

Quote:
So IF the stereo's computer actually recognizes m3u files, you would still have to manually copy and paste all these mp3's that are listed in each of your favorite playlists to your new hard drive or flash drive to use in the Camaro... then create an identical m3u file that is associated to the files on your mobile drive.
You make it sound so difficult.
1. Organize mp3s into folders the way you describe, or whatever your current structure is will be fine.
2. Create playlist using your favorite media software. Save it in the folder that contains all the folders with your music in them.
3. Copy the folder containing the playlist and files to your hard drive/flash drive/CD.

Quote:
If you were my neighbor, I would bet you $100 that the Camaro's stereo system wont recognize m3u files.
In that case, I'll have to transplant VW's cheapest base model stereo into the Camaro. You think Chevy can't do at least as well as VW? I sure hope they can beat VW's cheapest base model stuff in the Camaro. If they can't, that's not good news.

Quote:
When you listen to mp3's in a car, you don't open WINAMP or WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER and then ENQUEUE the files that you want to listen to.....
That's precisely why playlists are a worthwhile investment of an extra 90 seconds.

Quote:
And who keeps suggesting that it will play WMA files as well? First of all... And secondly... does anyone here really have all their music ripped to WMA files? Why would anyone do that?
I don't know who has been talking about WMA, but that's not so far-fetched. Some people prefer WMA or ripped with default settings and didn't know the difference. Some people downloaded stuff that was already WMA. Anyway, I have to believe that if VW has been able to play WMA since at least 2006 (which is I think when my stereo became standard), that Chevy should be able to do it too by 2010.

Now, if a WMA is DRM-protected, then you can bet it will never play on most car stereos.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #59
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Play genre Rock.

Select Shuffle.

Done.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #60
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Oh. Well, I try to keep my eyes on the road, and I think others probably do too.
You sound like a guy who might have owned an original Camaro 40 years ago.

Quote:
In linux or CygWin
I'd be willing to bet that your average computer user - uses neither of these.

Quote:
And you are right -- they don't contain ANY actual music. You have to copy your mp3 files (in their folders) along with the list.
So what's the problem here?

Quote:
In that case, I'll have to transplant VW's cheapest base model stereo into the Camaro. You think Chevy can't do at least as well as VW? I sure hope they can beat VW's cheapest base model stuff in the Camaro. If they can't, that's not good news.
Again with the stubborn old man talk.

Quote:
That's precisely why playlists are a worthwhile investment of an extra 90 seconds.
Ok old man. Apparently it takes 90 seconds more to create a playlist than it does to just make a folder with the music in it. I could use those 90 seconds to scan through all my music while going 80mph on the freeway and paying no attention at all on the road.

Quote:
I don't know who has been talking about WMA, but that's not so far-fetched. Some people (((old people who don't know any better?))) prefer WMA or ripped with default settings and didn't know the difference. Some people downloaded stuff that was already WMA (((who in their right mind has ever done this? have you?))). Anyway, I have to believe that if VW has been able to play WMA since at least 2006 (which is I think when my stereo became standard), that Chevy should be able to do it too by 2010.
I'm not saying "It wont be able to read WMA" - I'm asking "Who actually archives their music in WMA?" I can listen to WMA's in my 33 year old truck, but why would I? Are there people who still buy cassette tapes or VHS? I have never in my life met anyone who listens to music in WMA format.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #61
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Play genre Rock.

Select Shuffle.

Done.
Go buy a Ford hahaha

They have all that voice activated schtuff, right? Do I have to press the MUTE button before I give commands?

Even if driving a car was 100% hands-free, you'd still see broads holding cell phones to their ears.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #62
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Wow, get off your high horse buddy. We're all Camaro fans here and you're bashing people left and right.

The question of whether playlist files will work with the Camaro head unit is perfectly valid.

I sure don't know, but I can't see why not.

I wasn't refering to voice activated "schtuff."

Use the deck to select the genre you want to listen to, and set it on shuffle. You're good to go.

Or you can keep flaming people. By all means.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #63
FNKNSTN
Banned

Well all that works just fine, assuming each mp3 has its ID Tags filled out properly.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #64
FNKNSTN
Banned

There's a genre selector?

I know you can scan XM/SIRIUS by genre... but didn't know you could scan mp3's by genre.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #65
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

From what I saw on the training videos, it looks like the deck has the same basic operations as any normal mp3 player you buy off the shelf. You can select songs by artist, album, genre or select all tracks and then you can also select how it plays the songs (i.e. on my mp3 player you can select normal, repeat track, repeat all, shuffle, shuffle repeat, or track once).

I'm willing to bet the deck will be pretty much idiot-proof when it comes to playing your songs. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #66
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
FNKNSTN

Geez, what is up with the attitude????

Take a pill and calm down. Good grief. If I want to (and I do in many cases) I have many of my files ripped in WMA as well as MP3 formats.

So why don't you just settle down and for heavens sake quit bashing people.

And, Yes, I am one of the Older Types with which you seem to have an issue.

It is fine to disagree, but I would encourage you to do it in a respectful manner regardless of the other person's age.

Last edited by greenrail; 04-14-2009 at 12:11 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #67
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
FNKNSTN

Geez, what is up with the attitude????

Take a pill and calm down. Good grief. If I want to (and I do in many cases) I have many of my files ripped in WMA as well as MP3 formats.

So why don't you just settle down and for heavens sake quite bashing people.

And, Yes, I am one of the Older Types with which you seem to have an issue.

It is fine to disagree, but I would encourage you to do it in a respectful manner regardless of the other person's age.

here's a thread you should probably read
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239

ps - you should check out the multi-quote button. it's in the bottom-right beside the quote button
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #68
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
It turns out I could have set my ps3 to import cd's in mp3 format, but I had it set to the stupid Quicktime option instead. Looks like I'll have to re-import everything if I want to put it on a memory stick and listen to it in the car. /sigh.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #69
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
It turns out I could have set my ps3 to import cd's in mp3 format, but I had it set to the stupid Quicktime option instead. Looks like I'll have to re-import everything if I want to put it on a memory stick and listen to it in the car. /sigh.
Now that sucks. Reminds me of when my family first got a computer that had a cd-rom drive and I was ripping cd's to mp3's at 96kbps thinking the sound was awesome.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #70
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
If you really want to, you could convert them in your computer. You may lose a little quality, but probably not anything you'll ever notice. I like WinFF for a free, no-BS converter.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote