Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
New pics and videos of 1st near production ZL1

For all of you in Texas - a special treat at the Texas Auto Show!

http://www.slashgear.com/camaro-zl1-...ideo-30184241/

Camaro ZL1: eyes-on the fastest Camaro ever made [Video]
Posted by Shane McGlaun on September 30, 2011.

Earlier this month I mentioned the new Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 that had just gone official. The car sounds very cool on paper with a new 6.2L LSA V8 that has an Eaton supercharger strapped to it. The engine produces 580 HP and 556 lb-fit of torque. The engine is all aluminum for weight savings and the car is aimed at being very streetable, yet ready for the owner to take to the racetrack at any time.

The car also has the cool Magnetic Ride Control and Performance Traction Management system inside. Other features that make the car ready for the track include a high-performance fuel system along with engine and transmission differential coolers. You can check out the original story we did on the car here and the official Chevrolet press release is online here.

Yesterday I spent some time at the Texas State Fair auto show press days where Chevrolet had the first near-production Camaro ZL1 in the country on display. I spent a bit of time with Brian from Chevrolet and he walked us through a general overview of the ZL1 engine and other interesting features on the car. After chatting with Brian about the engine, we spent a bit of time poking and prodding the car with kid gloves.

Brian informed us that this was the first of the near production ZL1 cars in the country and that this car had in fact made the trek from Canada directly to the State Fair of Texas auto show for its first viewing after getting a fresh coat of red paint. A few details that I liked about the car that weren’t mentioned in the press release include the functional hood cooling grates.

You will see these in the video below. The grates are designed to catch the heat whisked away by the cool air coming in from the front of the car and route that hot air out of the hood grates rather than letting it sit in the engine bay where it can heat things up and cause the car to produce less power. The way the ZL1 is packaged under the hood, it is very difficult to see the heat exchanger that would be used to cool the air entering the supercharger thanks to the covers and hoses under the hood.

I suspect that one of the main reasons for the hood cooling system is to get the hot air from that heat exchanger out of the car. Another benefit of the system is that the high-speed air flowing from the grill of the car over the hood will also add a bit of down force at speed. The inside of the car looks a lot like the inside of a ZR1 Corvette with quality materials spread around and seats that have leather bolsters and some sort of suede or Alcantara centers to offer your backside more grip that leather when you are on the hoon.

I also particularly like the D-shaped steering wheel that offers more leg clearance when you are closer to the wheel for track work. I did talk to one of the other folks in the Chevrolet booth and was told that the supercharger on the ZL1 is an Eaton roots style blower, similar to what the Cadillac CTS V uses.These newer superchargers produce less heat than older style roots blowers like the Shelby GT500 line uses and less heat output allows the cars to make more power.

The more timing is pulled by the engine as it heats up, the less power is made. This is what is referred to as heat soak on a supercharged engine. When heat soak sets in the car makes considerably less power than it does when cool and typically leads to slower lap times as a race session goes on for multiple laps. It remains to be seen if the Camaro ZL1 has enough cooling to prevent heat soak from being an issue. I suspect this car will carry a price in the $55,000 to $60,000 range and come in at a price a bit more than the Shelby GT500 that is the closest comparison from Ford. The official pricing for the ZL1 will be announced closer to the launch of the car. Check out the video to see the Camaro ZL1

Last edited by IOMZL1; 09-30-2011 at 08:15 AM.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
I know this is still speculation on the price, but if it starts at 55k, cross my name off the list.
Oh, and the GM guy mentions in the vid, that the torque is 563.
The host needs to go look at a current Camaro a little closer, the door latch and sill plate look the same.

Last edited by 68vert; 09-30-2011 at 08:33 AM.
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I'm pretty sure we won't see a price on this till the very last minute before production.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Even though the grilles don't match, I like the eggcrate pattern on this zl1 much better than the newer grille on the yellow version.

If the car starts that high it might price me out of reach as well...or at least it will be as basic as it could come.

Its still one heck of a camaro.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
zurk80

Drives: 13' 1LE / 1995 Z28 6M
In the video Brian from Chevrolet says the ZL1s LSA will have 563 ft lb of torque?
zurk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
errrr I hope the $55k starting price is no go or I no go for a ZL1.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Outstanding video IOMZL1. I recommend everybody watch the video, it's a sweet guided tour of the updated vehicle with detailed information, video footage and great closeup shots. It certainly made my day (so far! ) Boy I can't wait to see more of this car...this is turning up the heat for sure!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Brad02SS

Drives: 02 35th LE SS, 08 G8 GT
I wish they could route those hoses coming out the front of the engine cover another way. Doesn't look too good. As for the price, I've been thinking a well-optioned SS is around $40k, if I can afford that I can deal with another $10k for the ZL1. $15-$20k more, probably not. We'll see.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
hv92

Drives: .
Oh yes. I'm buying this bitch!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
errrr I hope the $55k starting price is no go or I no go for a ZL1.
Isn't the GT500 with the track pack around $55k? Sure it's on the high end of the pricing scale, but it does fall pretty much in line with the competition given all the performance features of the ZL1 that appear to be standard. This wouldn't shock me or stop me from buying at all, but I was hoping for low $50's as a starting price point.

Nothing is official yet though, so no need to make an issue out of this.

Last edited by Shurenuff; 09-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
hv92

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Isn't that what the GT500 with the track pack around $55k? Sure it's on the high end of the pricing scale, but it does fall pretty much in line with the competition given all the performance features of the ZL1 that appear to be standard. This wouldn't shock me or stop me from buying at all, but I was hoping for low $50's as a starting price point.

Nothing is official yet though, so no need to make an issue out of this.

On the bright said it IS 580 horsepower, magnetic ride control, and just an overall badass sportscar.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Ok is it just me or did the camera person really like the seats. I don't think that was carbon fiber on the sill plates, just engraved design on them. Also it looks like the red one that has been traveling around without the stripes. But it is a BADASS car!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
EVoLGRiMM

Drives: Pleasure aka ZL1
And I so was not planning on going to the state fair!!! Guess this changes all that. Can't wait to go now!!!!
EVoLGRiMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Chevy was really smart putting the grilles in the hood. It will help with airflow through the radiator and of course exhaust engine heat.
Heat soak is a big problem now, especially with many hoods being sealed with gaskets due to injector noise and of course a aluminum block and heads are noisier than iron.
MY GTO is completely stock and at temps over 85 degrees it falls on it's face, and probably loses at least 20hp. I am sure 5th gens have the same problem.
Add a supercharger and I am sure it becomes much much worse.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote