Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Ice down supercharger??

Hoping to get a little help from the big boys around here.

I've been hitting the strip a lot this year and probably have around 60 passes on my car. I never really take my time there super serious but maybe its about time to start trying a little bit harder.

Couple questions:

1 - Do you suggest placing icebags on my supercharger in between runs to cool it off? I see a lot of people around me do this but I have never tried.

2 - I have had people suggest I leave my car with the ACC on (key in) so that the pump runs to my intercooler while the car is waiting for its next run. Think this helps any?

Any other little tips that you think might help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup: TVS2300, Longtubes, cat delete, noweeds, corsa (although not used as I leave the noweeds open), 3.2 pulley running 7psi, rotofab CAI. 608hp on last dyno. I do have Meth kit ready to install and tune but that may still be a few more weeks/ months away...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Hoping to get a little help from the big boys around here.

I've been hitting the strip a lot this year and probably have around 60 passes on my car. I never really take my time there super serious but maybe its about time to start trying a little bit harder.

Couple questions:

1 - Do you suggest placing icebags on my supercharger in between runs to cool it off? I see a lot of people around me do this but I have never tried.

2 - I have had people suggest I leave my car with the ACC on (key in) so that the pump runs to my intercooler while the car is waiting for its next run. Think this helps any?

Any other little tips that you think might help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup: TVS2300, Longtubes, cat delete, noweeds, corsa (although not used as I leave the noweeds open), 3.2 pulley running 7psi, rotofab CAI. 608hp on last dyno. I do have Meth kit ready to install and tune but that may still be a few more weeks/ months away...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ha, 60 passes.... That's a gd wind!!

I've heard two schools of thought on the ice thing. Obviously the gd is the cooling. The bad being the rapid heating/cooling/heating process which can lead to something cracking.

I run my ice/water chest while in the pits and use fans to cool the car. In 20 minutes it's almost to cold.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Ive heard that the cooling can cause bearing failure in the S/C. I usually just leave hood open and wait till last minute to run and keep the car off as much as possible. You can alwayd use a fan to circulate air if you have a generator or power source.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Never shut the car off when you get back to your pit. All youll accomplish is crippling the car with heat soak. I'd let it idle until the Trans temps bottom out and then all cooling ability of the car are exhausted.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
bcguy
bcguy

Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
So what times are you running. Reaction, 60 fts
Agp 62/66 ,lsx 427. , Callie's ,diamond ,all pro ,American racing ,I'ds130s,102 intake and throttle body,etc .fore triple , Turbo 400 level 5 , b and m pro , dss carbon fiber , dss ford 9 inch with strange pumpkin,3.73 ratio,1400 hp axels,boost and air fuel pillar guages. Weld rts 17x10 and 17x4.5 with m and h drag radials and skinnys
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Ha, 60 passes.... That's a gd wind!!

I've heard two schools of thought on the ice thing. Obviously the gd is the cooling. The bad being the rapid heating/cooling/heating process which can lead to something cracking.

I run my ice/water chest while in the pits and use fans to cool the car. In 20 minutes it's almost to cold.
I've never done it, but when I look to the left and right of my car they are all sitting there with open hoods and bags of ice covering the charger and hoses... I'm afraid of the cracking thing myself.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "I run my ice/water chest in the pits"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Ive heard that the cooling can cause bearing failure in the S/C. I usually just leave hood open and wait till last minute to run and keep the car off as much as possible. You can alwayd use a fan to circulate air if you have a generator or power source.
I try to sit about 20 mins or so in between going up to let it cool, but when its 100 degrees outside it doesnt feel much cooler after that wait.

Quote:
Never shut the car off when you get back to your pit. All youll accomplish is crippling the car with heat soak. I'd let it idle until the Trans temps bottom out and then all cooling ability of the car are exhausted.
You keep the car running the entire day? I must not be understanding you as that doesn't sound right? Are you saying to let it stay on for a few minutes before turning it off? Then leave the ACC on to let the pump keep circulating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
So what times are you running. Reaction, 60 fts
Reaction has no merit in this discussion. I can cut a light pretty good when I need to. I'm really looking at little ways I can cut some time off my runs.

60's are pretty consistent in 1.7's. Everyone has to remember that I am a mile up here in NM so even though that sounds horrible, I don't think it really is? I have the best 60' out of any 5th gen I have seen here. Most of the street cars I know are running 1.8-2.0's with drag radials in my HP class. I am using 17" bogarts with M&H radials. M6 car, Launch at about 3800rpm with no bog and just a little bit of spin. any lower and I bog, any higher and I spin to much and the 60' time goes up. I have found that 16psi seems to work best for me.

I'm sure there are a million things I need to buy to get my times down, but I am more looking for things I should be doing rather than buying. This is my first car that I have ever taken to the track so I am definitely still learning.

Any suggestions are very helpful and appreciated.

thanks again all.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
bcguy
bcguy

Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
i didnt really have to much to add to your thread topic ,except i have run 3 back to back runs and the times were close to each other,did not see an et drop,super hot weather i might.i asked your et and reaction ,60 ft for my own benefit as i am also a new racer and ran a11.34 at 126 .434 reaction(ya i know) with 1.9 60s,my car has not been dynoed so just seeing if i am in the ballpark
Agp 62/66 ,lsx 427. , Callie's ,diamond ,all pro ,American racing ,I'ds130s,102 intake and throttle body,etc .fore triple , Turbo 400 level 5 , b and m pro , dss carbon fiber , dss ford 9 inch with strange pumpkin,3.73 ratio,1400 hp axels,boost and air fuel pillar guages. Weld rts 17x10 and 17x4.5 with m and h drag radials and skinnys
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

I have a 5 gallon cell in the trunk the I dump ice in. In the cell there is an inlet and outlet. The returning warm intercooler water enters, melts the ice, then the ice water is pumped directly into the blower. It works like a champ for lowering iat's and reducing the amount of timing pulled. One of the things undiscovered is that when I leave the pump on, tank off, the ice water still circulates and cools the entire engine. You can watch the coolant temp drop from 200 to 125 in 10 minutes.

I only let the car idle for maybe 5 minutes. This allows the Trans fluid to circulate through the cooler and lower the temps. After about 5 minutes the temps will reach a point where they won't go any lower. Then the fans cool it the rest of the way.

Hot lapping could lead to excessive heat build up in the Trans and prematurely make it fail.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
i didnt really have to much to add to your thread topic ,except i have run 3 back to back runs and the times were close to each other,did not see an et drop,super hot weather i might.i asked your et and reaction ,60 ft for my own benefit as i am also a new racer and ran a11.34 at 126 .434 reaction(ya i know) with 1.9 60s,my car has not been dynoed so just seeing if i am in the ballpark
Looking at your sig, you are way ahead of me on mods
My best time is 11.9@115. Last weekend I was pretty consistent around 12.1 to 12.3 and around 113mph. Again, I am almost a mile up so that does take quite a bit away from me I think. DA was at 8,200. Looks like if you can cut the 60's down you could be in the 10's...

Quote:
I have a 5 gallon cell in the trunk the I dump ice in. In the cell there is an inlet and outlet. The returning warm intercooler water enters, melts the ice, then the ice water is pumped directly into the blower. It works like a champ for lowering iat's and reducing the amount of timing pulled. One of the things undiscovered is that when I leave the pump on, tank off, the ice water still circulates and cools the entire engine. You can watch the coolant temp drop from 200 to 125 in 10 minutes.

I only let the car idle for maybe 5 minutes. This allows the Trans fluid to circulate through the cooler and lower the temps. After about 5 minutes the temps will reach a point where they won't go any lower. Then the fans cool it the rest of the way.

Hot lapping could lead to excessive heat build up in the Trans and prematurely make it fail.
Wow.. That sounds like a great setup. I
Saw your car in Indy, it was a pleasure to checkout. I remember seeing you use fans to cool off the front but didn't see the ice. I assumed the box in the trunk was for race fuel.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any other helpful tidbits are always appreciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Looking at your sig, you are way ahead of me on mods
My best time is 11.9@115. Last weekend I was pretty consistent around 12.1 to 12.3 and around 113mph. Again, I am almost a mile up so that does take quite a bit away from me I think. DA was at 8,200. Looks like if you can cut the 60's down you could be in the 10's...

Wow.. That sounds like a great setup. I
Saw your car in Indy, it was a pleasure to checkout. I remember seeing you use fans to cool off the front but didn't see the ice. I assumed the box in the trunk was for race fuel.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any other helpful tidbits are always appreciated.
The cars tank is full of race gas!!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I run a dual pass heat exchanger and I will leave the pump on for it to draw the heat out of the intake. Another good way to drop engine temps is by adding a electric water pump that allows you to circulate coolant when the engine is not running.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
I read that RX has someting that connects directly to the AC and use its cooling ability to get IATs down....alot....works even when AC is not on......
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged

Only adds 12-14# and no ice to add, no water to drain, and cools 30-50* in less than 3 minutes.

Never have to buy anything more as it is always there.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Stupid question: Does the super chiller drip? If you are running the A/C normally, the expansion tank usually ices up and drips. Does this happen with the super chiller? I have always been told that ANY drips out of the car = OFF THE TRACK NOW. Just curious.