Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Thumbs up Just Installed ******** 12" Box, Plug and Play Harness and Amp Rack

I just finished installing my 12" ******** box with ********'s plug and play harness and amplifier mounting board. The system sounds great! I'm running a Precision Power A300 "Art Series" amplifier in bridged mode (300 watts). The amp is powering an Alpine 12" SWS-1222D dual voice coil subwoofer.

I also decided to run a bass knob. I velcroed it to the side of the console. I'm not big on drilling into my dash or console. As you can see from the pic I have attached, it turned out pretty nice.

I decided not to run any sound deadener during the install. I don't have any major rattles. The fitment of ********'s box was great!

I only have one minor issue after the install...when I shut off the stereo, the subwoofer pops. It doesn't do it during power on. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hicompression; 11-17-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
ChvyBoss
THAT BOOST TURNS HEADS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
speaker looks good, but amp looks a lil sloppy with the wires showing tho
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChvyBoss View Post
speaker looks good, but amp looks a lil sloppy with the wires showing tho
Yep, I hadn't finished completely tucking the wires away when I took the pics. I have updated the first amp pic.

Last edited by Hicompression; 11-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
SwedeandBlondie

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 on order
What are you using for your "on" signal for the amp to turn on? In past systems I've installed, if you wire that to a switch vice the amp lead from a head unit, you'll occasionally get a bump when you power on or off. You can get filters for that if you're stuck using a switched power source. Not sure what the wiring harness uses for that function.
2009 HD Street Glide
2005 HD Fatboy
SwedeandBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
looks nice
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeandBlondie View Post
What are you using for your "on" signal for the amp to turn on? In past systems I've installed, if you wire that to a switch vice the amp lead from a head unit, you'll occasionally get a bump when you power on or off. You can get filters for that if you're stuck using a switched power source. Not sure what the wiring harness uses for that function.
I'm using ********'s harness connector. The white wire is for power on/off. This harness plugs directly into the amplifier. I guess I don't know exactly what the white wire is tapped into either...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Wow a precision power art series amp, that brings back memories. I used to have one of those, but mine was the all black version. An awesome amp, and worth money. I sold mine a couple years ago for more than i paid. It was probably 10 years old atleast when i sold it.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
The white wire is the amp enable wire on the stock audio harness. This is the same wire that turns on the stock amp and the only switched power source located in the rear of the car. Thus it was an easy choice for using it--rather than saying here's a nice plug n play signal harness, except you'll have to locate a switched source up front and run a wire all the way to the back to turn your amp on. Nobody knows where to look for that and the radio doesn't exactly come out real easy either.

A little turn off thump is pretty common actually, but every amp seems to act differently to it. Some don't do it at all, while others are more pronounced. I noticed mine did this at first, but once I backed the gain off, it reduced it significantly. So that would be my first recommendation.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Wow a precision power art series amp, that brings back memories. I used to have one of those, but mine was the all black version. An awesome amp, and worth money. I sold mine a couple years ago for more than i paid. It was probably 10 years old atleast when i sold it.
Hah! I was wondering when someone was going to say something about the PPI amp. Definitely old skool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
A little turn off thump is pretty common actually, but every amp seems to act differently to it. Some don't do it at all, while others are more pronounced. I noticed mine did this at first, but once I backed the gain off, it reduced it significantly. So that would be my first recommendation.
Thanks Steve, I'll try that!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
Hah! I was wondering when someone was going to say something about the PPI amp. Definitely old skool!

Thanks Steve, I'll try that!
Yeah definitely old skool. Mine was an A600, no internal crossover and ran a pair of kicker comp 12s.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Yeah definitely old skool. Mine was an A600, no internal crossover and ran a pair of kicker comp 12s.
My brother gave me this amp about 8 years ago for Christmas. He had almost every "art series" amp PPI ever made including the large A1200 series. Alas...he has sold them all. They do command top dollar though.

This amp had been sitting since he gave it to me. I finally decided it was time to put it to use.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Wow, how old is your amp? I had a PP amp in 1993 that looks identical to that amp. Just curious.

Last edited by midnighter; 11-14-2010 at 10:51 PM.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #13
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Wow, how old is your amp? I had a PP amp in 1993 that looks identical to that amp. Just curious.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
tfannon

Drives: Dark Grey SS
i was thinking same thing. i had one of those a long time ago. its amazing that tech in audio hasnt really changed all that much.
tfannon is offline   Reply With Quote