Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #29
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Sorry to read about this setback.

Respectfully if the car got hurt on the dyno you might want to get someone like Patrick Barnhill involved in your tune.

And again respectfully, we are running the same LSX block, same pistons, in my friend's 315 Drag Radial car, for now either 3 or 4 years. The engine was built by LME and they are the best in the business. But we are careful with the tune, never take chances... Car goes 7.25@202. For me this goes back to tuning. We've been super careful as of late as we are just about about of fuel with this current setup FWIW.

There's a lot that goes into tuning tables, like what happens with timing advance and AF as your inlet air temps go up.

RHS blocks look interesting though some folks would like the water passages in the deck to be smaller.

Best of luck, hope to see your car crack off some killer runs this year.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post

Respectfully if the car got hurt on the dyno you might want to get someone like Patrick Barnhill involved in your tune.

And again respectfully, we are running the same LSX block, same pistons, in my friend's 315 Drag Radial car, for now either 3 or 4 years. The engine was built by LME and they are the best in the business. But we are careful with the tune, never take chances... Car goes 7.25@202. For me this goes back to tuning. We've been super careful as of late as we are just about about of fuel with this current setup FWIW.

There's a lot that goes into tuning tables, like what happens with timing advance and AF as your inlet air temps go up.

RHS blocks look interesting though some folks would like the water passages in the deck to be smaller.

Best of luck, hope to see your car crack off some killer runs this year.
John the car was perfect on the dyno all the way thru an entire run. The problem was the heat that day at the track was hotter than when it was tuned and it wasn't until the 1000' mark that temps got high and it didn't pull enough timing fast enough. It was definitely a tune issue but we thought it was safe enough as we were only running 19 degrees but apparently it wasn't safe enough.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post

I would love to have Patrick tune my car but again another issue is I'm running the Holley dominator efi and there just aren't that many people out there that know this software yet. Rick Anderson which is the lead developer on this software came up to Cincy and looked at the tune in my car and he said it was dead nuts as if you have seen anything on this stuff it has auto correct feature but all thru the tune it was reading zero percent correct as it was perfect. I think the changing weather conditions is where it screwed me as I should have been more aware of how much this will affect my tune.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Was this on the dyno? What timing advance and AF? Are you pulleyed for 30 psi like I saw posted or what does it really do?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #33
jrpxxii

This happened on the track. The timing was 19 and af perfect throughout numerous pulls on dyno. Pulley setup is for 30 and computer showed 29.85 so its accurate.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #34
Adadda

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS. L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
This happened on the track. The timing was 19 and af perfect throughout numerous pulls on dyno. Pulley setup is for 30 and computer showed 29.85 so its accurate.

good rule of thumb from now on would be to knock the tune back a little at the track ,make a few passes then start adjusting for conditions , I usually do that then send the logs to my tuner between runs ,and we adjust for that day @ the power level you and some of us are @, its really the only way to do it there is no one tune fits all for us .but get that beast back together its one of my favorites
Adadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adadda View Post
good rule of thumb from now on would be to knock the tune back a little at the track ,make a few passes then start adjusting for conditions , I usually do that then send the logs to my tuner between runs ,and we adjust for that day @ the power level you and some of us are @, its really the only way to do it there is no one tune fits all for us .but get that beast back together its one of my favorites

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #36
G200 Pilot
G200 Pilot

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS purchased 5/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
No problem but just want everyone to know I fully support Cincy Speed. As Jamie said, most people have no idea what all has been done to the car as it was basically stripped down to the bare body and rebuilt part by part. This was not a simple thrown together build. People have no idea what all is involved in builds like these to actually make them work. Anyone can make over 1000hp but its extremely difficult to make it all work at the track. Look at Darth Emma's car for another example, ran 8.47 and next time out she broke axles and transmission. I'm putting 30 lbs of boost through my motor too which is going to cause problems eventually no matter what and its just being prepared this will happen. Once I get my motor back in car it's ready to come off the trailer and start ripping it.
Hey Jason! Sorry to hear about your dilemmas... I admire you for hanging in there and continue to spend and chase your dream. As you know, it's not just about increasing rwhp. That in itself produces bigger headaches. And then, we have to find ways of applying it all to the ground.

Continued good luck and patience!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
Have you thought about a proline engine?

Last edited by carbon8; 08-11-2013 at 09:28 PM.
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post
Have you thought about a proline engine?
Yes but at this point all I need is a block pistons and rods. I can re-use everything else
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Sorry Jason. Hope you get that bad boy up & running really soon! I was hoping to see you run at the LSX fest in Bowling Green.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #40
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Sorry Jason. Hope you get that bad boy up & running really soon! I was hoping to see you run at the LSX fest in Bowling Green.
That was the goal but not sure how quick I get motor back together. I will know more tomorrow when I know exactly what I will need and availability to make this happen. I'm still trying to make Holley fest.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #41
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I fully understand that this was not a block issue as you have explained very well.

My question is if there is actually a block out there that would have handled this BETTER then the LSX? From my understanding, the LSX, from a shear strength stand point is about the top of the pile.

Curious what the damage would have been with one of the top end aluminum blocks if the same thing occurred?

I an NO WHERE REMOTELY near anything you guys are at power wise, never will be but I understand your attitude, when you push the limits things break and when you push as hard as you guys are pushing, its not uncommon at all. Just part of the price to play the game, unfortunately a spendy part of the game.

Again, just curious if you think the LXS block handled the head lift as well as any other block would have. ITs amazing to think about an LSX block and heads lifting, WOW!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #42
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Who's doing your rebuild, Cincy?

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote