Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #267
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
I know they are in my friend's Cadillac (they are the type that show up in the mirror itself, not off to the side or bottom of the casing) and I like that feature for safety reasons. Last thing I want happening is some wackjob sideswiping me because he doesn't know I'm changing lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Has GM ever done this? Might be cool.
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #268
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
I know they are in my friend's Cadillac (they are the type that show up in the mirror itself, not off to the side or bottom of the casing) and I like that feature for safety reasons. Last thing I want happening is some wackjob sideswiping me because he doesn't know I'm changing lanes.
I totaly forgot about caddys. Well done.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:35 AM   #269
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
oh and another quick question I just thought of, with some of the talk about the slight change with that lip on the back of the car, could that possibly indicate where the spare tire is to a degree? I drove a ford escape for a while with a full size spare kind of tucked underneath the back bumper, or with this car should it be in the trunk?
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #270
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I don't think it's gonna have a spare. The new Challenger doesn't, which kinda surprised me, since the cars so damn heavy anyways a spare wouldn't add that much more weight to it.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #271
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
I don't think it's gonna have a spare. The new Challenger doesn't, which kinda surprised me, since the cars so damn heavy anyways a spare wouldn't add that much more weight to it.
It can. but it's an option if I remember correctly...
And my Cobalt has a donut right under the truck "floor". but it's inside the vehicle...Don't know if that's relavant at all - but I thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #272
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
My 4th gen's spare is in the truck in a little circular shaped storage area... I'm sure the new Camaro will have a spare too. That would suck to get a flat at like 1 AM with no cell phone service....
Old 01-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #273
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i too the spare out of my trans am. i had different wheels on it so if i got a flat the odds are i wouldnt be able to drive with the spare anyways. it was lowered 3 inches too.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #274
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
More and more cars companies are turning to run flats and tire repair kits over traditional spares. There are pros and cons to every alternative, and I'm not sure which is best.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #275
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I totaly forgot about caddys. Well done.
Well, it's not just Cadillac. My '03 Tahoe has them in the mirrors. My current Silverado has them too. I can't say whether or not the Camaro will have them, but it's possible. Since it's a safety thing, it might even be likely.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #276
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I must've been blind to this. I didn't really notice on any gm stuff...

My unawareness being what it is... I gue I don't care one way or the other.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #277
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Aaaaaa, fer what it's worth, I check allpar.com and they state none of the challengers will feature a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It can. but it's an option if I remember correctly...
And my Cobalt has a donut right under the truck "floor". but it's inside the vehicle...Don't know if that's relavant at all - but I thought I'd mention it.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #278
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
More and more cars companies are turning to run flats and tire repair kits over traditional spares. There are pros and cons to every alternative, and I'm not sure which is best.
I was wondering about those run flat tires the other day... I really don't know if they would put them on a car coming out of the factory though. I also don't know if the run flat's work as good as they are advertised to.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #279
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
I was wondering about those run flat tires the other day... I really don't know if they would put them on a car coming out of the factory though. I also don't know if the run flat's work as good as they are advertised to.
The Corvette has run-flats from the factory. I seem to remember the Vette being the car that the run-flats were designed for, but that may be inaccurate, so don't anyone quote me on it.

I believe there are a couple other cars in the market that you can get factory run-flats on as well. It's an option, but they're from the factory.

Everything I've ever heard about the run-flats says they work as advertised. You can't go autocrossing on them, but they will get you safely to a repair place without damaging the rim. I've heard that they somewhat hamper performance. Part of that is weight...run-flats are heavy tires. I've also heard that the ride isn't all that great with run-flats.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #280
Big Boss Man
Roc's Rule

Drives: 04 Denali 89 Iroc
That picture looks sweet.