Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
10 seconds of "clicks" after 3 mins 30 seconds of driving

Yes I have searched, but I have not found a similar topic.

I've had my 1SS for 11 days now. Of those 11 days, I've heard a ticking and/or clicking sound three of those days at a very specific point in time.

I hear what appears to be normal ABS/brake system reset clicks (single) after I start my forward direction driving after backing out of my garage.

I make one stop at the bottom of the road I live on and then I travel to the bottom of another steep hill and stop at a stop light. I either hear the clicks now or at the next stop light which is only about 200 yards away.

It sounds like a system is "resetting" itself or an emissions system purging itself.

The clicks are about 2 seconds apart and it lasts for about 10 seconds total. They are loud enough to be heard in the passenger compartment.

A couple of days ago, I added my CarChip/Pro data logger to the Camaro. During this morning's trip into town, the data logger shows I had the car running for 3 minutes and 30 seconds when the clicking started. I'm basing that on the speed/mph data collected along with the RPM data collected. They show the speed at 0 mph and the car traveling at 0 mph for the 20 seconds or so that I was waiting at the stop light when the clicking started.

I have no check-engine-light nor any other warning light. The car seems to be driving ok, just this odd set of clicks/ticks when I'm stopped at one of these two stop lights about 3 minutes and 30 seconds after starting my morning trip into town.

If I don't have to stop at one of those two stop lights, I don't hear the clicks/ticks.

It almost sounds like an emission controls device purging itself or an ABS system reset.

Anyone else hear something like this with their 2010 Camaro?

Thanks

Robert
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Eric77TA

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
I have something simlar from time to time on my Cobalt daily driver.

After some research at CobaltSS.net, I found out that at least as far as the Cobalt is concerned, this ticking/knocking sound is the car testing the fuel system integrity - making sure that it's not open to the air anywhere. For example, a loose gas cap will throw an SES because vapor can escape from the system.

Sounds like the Camaro may have something similar?
Eric77TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
shiftz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric77TA View Post

After some research at CobaltSS.net, I found out that at least as far as the Cobalt is concerned, this ticking/knocking sound is the car testing the fuel system integrity - making sure that it's not open to the air anywhere. For example, a loose gas cap will throw an SES because vapor can escape from the system.

That's an interesting data point.

My other Chevy (my former 06 SSR) did not make this noise, but it might have made it but it being a pickup I may not have heard it as clearly.

This "noise" in the Camaro is "loud".

We shall see.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
I'm hearing the same thing. I've only noticed about 4 - 6 clicks that are audible even with semi-loud music. They seem to be coming from the back of the car and most often when I'm lightly braking.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
shiftz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasedgod View Post
I'm hearing the same thing. I've only noticed about 4 - 6 clicks that are audible even with semi-loud music. They seem to be coming from the back of the car and most often when I'm lightly braking.
Your description is VERY close to mine. I hear the clicks for about 10 seconds and they're about 1.5 to 2 seconds apart from each other.

At least mine is not the only one making this noise....
Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Well now I'm worried...I don't want click noises in my 2SS. Everyone who has this problem needs to report it ASAP so we can find out what's going on.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
all of my cars and my family members cars click. its just the systems running their checks. ABS and fuel system. Nothing to worry about. Mine have done it i think up to 6 or 7 minutes of driving. Just the camaro is very well insulated, so now you hear the little electronics and system checks. My aura is exactly the same way, and i suspect my camaro will be the same when it comes.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I had a Pontiac that did the same thing. It didn't seem to cause any harm. I'd get to the traffic light where I waited to get on the highway and I'd hear "tocky tocky tock" from the rear of the car.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Just a quick check, the first click you hear after backing out and going forward .. are you sure that click isn't the automatic door locks locking your door?

thanks,
Crowley
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric77TA View Post

Confirmed. I too have this clicking/knocking sound just after I turn my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC off. Sounds like it is coming from the back or trunk. Oddly enough, I had the same exact sound and in the same exact location in my 1998 Camaro R/S Convertible. What is that sound?!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
The description sounds like a noise that ours (as well as other manufacturers' vehicles make shortly after cold start and that is the EVAP purge and/or vent valve making noise during the EVAP self-test.

The following PIs and bulletins describe this noise on some of our other vehicles - your dealer has this info:

PIC4317D
04-06-05-009C
08-06-04-008
06-06-04-062A
AIP3301

If you are concerned that the noise is excessive, it would probably be best to have your dealer evaluate it and determine that it is a result of the EVAP test.

We are able to achieve great fuel economy numbers and low emissions due, in part to electronics such as this.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
I'm sure it is nothing to worry about... most likely just Bumblebee re-loading after the previous nights fight.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
its the vents opening for the trunk monkey....lol...

sorry couldn't resist
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
CamaroFreak_342

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
You have got to be getting tired of putting out so many fires. Oh... and thanks again for helping bring Camaro back.

Can't wait for my CGM M6 LS3!
CamaroFreak_342 is offline   Reply With Quote