Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #29
DeanCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The hard part is over, just putting everything back together, dash pad goes in and then all the trim pieces.

If i had to do it again, i could do it in half the time because now i know where everything is located. Me and matt pretty much did it the hard way.
DeanCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #30
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts11SS View Post
So my buddy and I took it upon ourselves to replace the heater core on his 2011 L99. Dear Lord, this is a hell of a project. Anyone else done this themselves? We have the housing out now with the new core in, about to put this back together. We had the windshield removed and pulled the dash, which is the hardest part. Little bolts here and there holding the housing to the firewall... Wow I hope I never have to do this to my LS3!!
Heater cores are starting to leak causing problems for our drivers,, Not only is it expensive to fix it can also be dangerous,, Imagine you driving at a certain speed and you son or wife is on the passenger side and you son is wearing sandals or your wife is wearing heels and she screams in pain and scares the hell out of you and you lose control on the car and crash? Not very safe.. or your driving and the window keeps fogging and you can't see and you crash.. you over heat and break down somewhere and your car won't start and your in the middle of the road and some drunk a- hole hits you... Right now Chevy has issued a recall for out damn key.. because we can hit it with our knee cause the car to turn off and us losing control... sounds like the same thing if you car shut off from over heating and i have never heard of that problem,,, please file a complaint so we can all be assured if ours goes it can be fixed,, I'm starting to smell fluid and i have a 11 ss and it has 37000 miles... contact https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form... lets fix this matter...
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #31
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Not enough for a recall IMO. There's what, maybe 4 or 5 threads about 2011 heater core leaks here? Just because there's a few threads here and there about an issue doesn't mean there's a big enough problem for a recall. When there's mention on a forum and 5 people hop in and say they see the same thing, does NOT extrapolate into a widespread problem. It only seems that way. The key recall is more a CYA than anything else, has nothing really to do with an actual issue.

Unless there's a widespread issue that I'm not seeing, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more than likely a 2011 Camaro issue. I may have missed it, but it seems everyone that had LCS (leaky core syndrome) were 2011 models. They may have had a supplier run that had some bad QC on the construction or materials for a short term. Or it could simply be random. It happens. If they can identify it, there would be a TSB on it most likely.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts11SS View Post
If I can get the hoses that are routed differently, I for sure will change mine too. Especially when I put a blower on later this year!!
I have a '10 SS and I re-routed mine. All you need is the heater hose assembly for a '12-up SS, PN 22962570. You don't need a VIN, if you already have the correct part number. The only difficult part is drilling a hole in the frame rail for the one mounting screw. I did mine while I was doing headers, so I already had the passenger side exhaust manifold off and I used a off-set drill. There still wasn't quite enough room to drill the hole straight. I think that if I'd removed the starter, I could have gotten a straight shot at it, but I didn't want to go to the trouble, so I drilled my hole at a slight angle. After the screw was snugged up, it was fine. I think some people don't even bother putting the screw in and it works fine without it. I didn't like the idea of those hot heater hoses laying on my intake manifold and I was all for anything that might extend the life of my heater core.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #33
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Not enough for a recall IMO. There's what, maybe 4 or 5 threads about 2011 heater core leaks here? Just because there's a few threads here and there about an issue doesn't mean there's a big enough problem for a recall. When there's mention on a forum and 5 people hop in and say they see the same thing, does NOT extrapolate into a widespread problem. It only seems that way. The key recall is more a CYA than anything else, has nothing really to do with an actual issue.

Unless there's a widespread issue that I'm not seeing, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more than likely a 2011 Camaro issue. I may have missed it, but it seems everyone that had LCS (leaky core syndrome) were 2011 models. They may have had a supplier run that had some bad QC on the construction or materials for a short term. Or it could simply be random. It happens. If they can identify it, there would be a TSB on it most likely.

how many issues with keys do you see on here??? as long as the issue is dangerous it can be recalled quickly... i never heard anything about anyone hitting there key with their knee and switching the car off... so whats the difference about the heater core.. and its not just the 2011 its the 2010 and 2013 models too. I've read quite a few .... more than the stupid key issue,,, I'm over 6 feet and my knee doesn't come close to the key,,, sounds crazy to me
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #34
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptopscott View Post
I work for a Chevy dealer and I've had to do one on a 2013 with 1,000 miles on it. It was a pain but not too bad of a job. Warranty only pays like 6.8 hours if I remember correctly
and this is why I don't tech at a dealer, I will be paid full flag for all my work thank you!
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #35
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
how many issues with keys do you see on here??? as long as the issue is dangerous it can be recalled quickly... i never heard anything about anyone hitting there key with their knee and switching the car off... so whats the difference about the heater core.. and its not just the 2011 its the 2010 and 2013 models too. I've read quite a few .... more than the stupid key issue,,, I'm over 6 feet and my knee doesn't come close to the key,,, sounds crazy to me
What are you talking about? I said the key issue is really a non-issue. GM is only doing it to cover their butts. But even so, the heater core leak issue isn't as widespread overall IMO. Also, it's not as dangerous as you try and depict. Are there potentials? Always. Practically, a coolant leak is normally NOT a dangerous situation because much of any spray is contained and enough heat dissipated as to be more of a smell/wet nuisance than any real major safety concern.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #36
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Camaro_2010 View Post
I have seen a thread on here somewhere, where you can remove heater core without having to remove windscreen, I believe it involved a die grinder to shorten installed bolts before they were removed from dash that would normally hit on windscreen as they were undone.
This ^^ it was someone overseas that the techs did this.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #37
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I would be surprised if it didn't take 5+ years for it to corrode. I think the Beretta was 7-8. Miles shouldn't matter. In fact the fewer miles may make it corrode quicker. It would sit longer with air in the lines than with fluid running through.

I've been thinking of changing the hoses. I am going to keep my Camaro for many years.
After reading this thread and posts for the last couple of days, I actually turned on my heat for about 10 minutes yesterday
on my 5 year old SS. I wonder If not circulating the coolant once in a while, this may quicken the deterioration of the core...
Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #38
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
I just wonder why heater cores fail when radiators don't. They ought to both be built to at least the same standard. Matter of fact, a heater core ought to be built to a better standard since its so hard to get to.

I wouldn't think corrosion would be an issue with the antifreeze available today. Even if you don't change it, it should last more than 5 years from the factory.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #39
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Coolant flows at all times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
After reading this thread and posts for the last couple of days, I actually turned on my heat for about 10 minutes yesterday
on my 5 year old SS. I wonder If not circulating the coolant once in a while, this may quicken the deterioration of the core...
Just a thought.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #40
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Why do you need a heater in Texas? 😃

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #41
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rat View Post
Coolant flows at all times.
I know it flows through the radiator and engine when running, but I'm not
sure it circulates through the heater core when the heat and A/C are off.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #42
Fastcat3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS manual tranny
Had that icky sweet smell of coolant for about 8 months, but it was just those brief whiffs periodically. This started on a 2012 SS when it had about 9,000 miles. Knowing how radical the fix was I wouldn't have wanted the car after the dealer dismantled it. The smell finally got pretty bad, but there were no leaks. I solved the problem by trading for my 2014 that I like much better and hopefully it will be OK. There really does seem to be an issue here with heater cores because it seems very strange to have problems with low mileage fairly new cars.
Fastcat3 is offline   Reply With Quote