Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Talking GM: How about some ZL1 only colors?

Some of the other models out on the market have special colors that are limited to the top trim line. It offers a little more exclusivity to the vehicle, makes them stand out a little more in the crowd. While the current palette of Camaro colors is okay, how about introducing something fresh with the 2012 cars? I'd like to see a few special colors, reserved only for the ZL1.

1969 Hugger Orange. Please make this color. It is THE essential Camaro collectors color, and has more fanatics than any other Camaro color. I will put a deposit down today if you would announce Hugger Orange on the ZL1.

Jetstream Blue (Corvette) or Stryker Blue (G8). These two hues are the best two shades of blue that GM has come out with in recent years. Why not offer one of them on the Camaro? If I had to pick, it would be Stryker Blue.

Matte Pearl White. The Camaro SSX showcar is a definite hit. That matte pearl white finish looked spectacular in person. BMW and Benz are now offering factory matte finishes, lets see GM be the first domestic to do so.

"Bumblebee" Yellow Pearl. Everyone loves the movie car, and that pearl yellow is stunning in person. It doesn't have to have as much pearl as the showcar, just the same hue and warmth. With Bumblebee being such an awesome marketing campaign for the Camaro, why not try and copy it a little closer?

Those are my thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Tony
Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Some of the other models out on the market have special colors that are limited to the top trim line. It offers a little more exclusivity to the vehicle, makes them stand out a little more in the crowd. While the current palette of Camaro colors is okay, how about introducing something fresh with the 2012 cars? I'd like to see a few special colors, reserved only for the ZL1.

1969 Hugger Orange. Please make this color. It is THE essential Camaro collectors color, and has more fanatics than any other Camaro color. I will put a deposit down today if you would announce Hugger Orange on the ZL1.

Jetstream Blue (Corvette) or Stryker Blue (G8). These two hues are the best two shades of blue that GM has come out with in recent years. Why not offer one of them on the Camaro? If I had to pick, it would be Stryker Blue.

Matte Pearl White. The Camaro SSX showcar is a definite hit. That matte pearl white finish looked spectacular in person. BMW and Benz are now offering factory matte finishes, lets see GM be the first domestic to do so.

"Bumblebee" Yellow Pearl. Everyone loves the movie car, and that pearl yellow is stunning in person. It doesn't have to have as much pearl as the showcar, just the same hue and warmth. With Bumblebee being such an awesome marketing campaign for the Camaro, why not try and copy it a little closer?

Those are my thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Tony

Great choice in blue

For all those crying for a medium blue, myself included, Stryker Blue is a fantastic choice IMO. It's a vibrant, deep, true blue (not like ABM which has some green in it at times) and I would order my ZL1 in Stryker Blue in a New York minute if it was offered. ZL1, black stripe, black SSX wheels + Stryker Blue =

Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
All I can say to that is for you blue lovers...stand by.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Another good shot of Stryker Blue

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
All I can say to that is for you blue lovers...stand by.
Huh?!?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:

Tony
Without regard to cost, I do like the idea of having a ZL1 only color or two. However, the Oshawa Camaro plant has facilities for only 10 different paint colors, and those facilities must be shared among the other vehicles (e.g., Impala, Equinox) that are built at Oshawa. Therefore, I believe having any ZL1 specific colors would be quite expensive. I think the most likely way it could happen would be to replace one of the low run Camaro colors temporarily with a ZL1 only color, but that would take the replaced color out of the palette for as long as the ZL1 only color is available.

As someone who likes and owns a 1969 Hugger Orange Camaro, I'm not sure that Hugger Orange will translate well on a 5th Gen Camaro. IOM is probably a better orange choice for the 5th Gen Camaros.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Nine Ball

I strongly disagree. I've yet to see any cars that look bad in Hugger Orange, and I've owned a few of them. Even the orange used on the Challenger would be a closer match to Hugger, and it looks great on those cars. Here is a pic of my own '69 next to IOM, which makes IOM appear red.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
As much as I would love to have an exclusive color for the ZL-1, I doubt it will happen due to how expensive it is to test, purchase, store, and use any of the colors GM has in it's library.

To bad we can't order the car just primered and then send it off for our own custom paint. I just hate seeing factory paint jobs removed just for a color switch.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Nine Ball

Hugger Orange is the most sought after color for 69 collectors. They also made 375 Hugger Orange SS's in 1999, which are also the most sought after 4th gen Camaros. Even a small batch of them would be sweet. I'd own one for sure.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Without regard to cost, I do like the idea of having a ZL1 only color or two. However, the Oshawa Camaro plant has facilities for only 10 different paint colors, and those facilities must be shared among the other vehicles (e.g., Impala, Equinox) that are built at Oshawa. Therefore, I believe having any ZL1 specific colors would be quite expensive. I think the most likely way it could happen would be to replace one of the low run Camaro colors temporarily with a ZL1 only color, but that would take the replaced color out of the palette for as long as the ZL1 only color is available.

As someone who likes and owns a 1969 Hugger Orange Camaro, I'm not sure that Hugger Orange will translate well on a 5th Gen Camaro. IOM is probably a better orange choice for the 5th Gen Camaros.
Didn't they get rid of synergy green?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Respectfully - I think I can see 'Bear is saying, thought it may not be for the same reasons.

I partially agree because while I DO believe we should have a color or two from the 1st Generation, I don't think Hugger has enough depth to look as good. Though I love the body lines on the car, I think the depth is necessary to bring them out even more. The colors flopping over the creases and lines really highlight how sculpted the car is. I'm not going to suggest that all of the current colors have the depth I prefer, I think if we ask for a new special color, it should be worth while to the goal of making something truly special. The rest of the colors have the depth I like, it's just Hugger. It could be I'm not visualizing it correctly...

Again, only MVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Excellent idea. I propose, as an alternative, that there should be a mix of old and new. The idea of the zl1 wouldn't be complete IMO without some hint of its vintage colors. GM should propose one or two variations of period correct hues, and introduce some modern colors that would appeal to customers that shop for sport cars in today's market.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
I strongly disagree. I've yet to see any cars that look bad in Hugger Orange, and I've owned a few of them. Even the orange used on the Challenger would be a closer match to Hugger, and it looks great on those cars. Here is a pic of my own '69 next to IOM, which makes IOM appear red.
To each his own.

Yes, the IOM has more red and Hugger Orange has more yellow, giving each its own unique shade.

I remember seeing a special order 1969 Hugger Orange Chevelle (Hugger Orange was a Camaro only RPO), which I thought didn't look nearly as good as Hugger Orange Camaros, because, in my opinion, the Chevelle's body was too big for the color (just as I don't think a 1969 Impala would look as good in Hugger Orange as a 1969 Camaro does).

Hugger Orange certainly evokes the nostalgia of 1969 for me, and memories of a bygone era, including 33 cent per gallon gasoline, Led Zeppelin I, People's Park, Neil Armstrong, Altamont, and the almost infinite number of combinations and permutations one could order from the Chervolet RPO list.

However, in the end I think it's better to leave 1969 back in 1969. As Thomas Wolfe once wrote, "You Can't Go Home Again."
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Didn't they get rid of synergy green?
Yes, Synergy Green is not listed as available for 2012.

In fact, the entire 2012 paint availability situation is not completely clear at this point, in part, due to the xirallic shortage caused by the earthquake in Japan. I can currently find only seven colors currently listed as available for the Camaro on the 2012 order guide, instead of the usual ten colors.

I expect that it will be at least several months before the complete color palette is once again available for the Camaro. Then we may find out if there will be any exclusive ZL1 colors offered.