Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
There's a Justin Timberlake songs that's coming to mind here. What is it again? Oh yeah, Cry Me A River. Unless you're piloting the space shuttle, there's always gonna be faster, better, etc. Enjoy your Camaro whether it be V6, SS, or ZL1. Or, buy a GT500 and be disappointed yet again. It's part of life...no disrespect but in the grand scheme of things, there's a lot worse you could be worrying about. Good luck in all seriousness.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Just buy a Bugatti Veyron...

Problem solved!

There will always be something bigger and badder than what you got. Life's too short to sweat it. Enjoy what you got and be thankful that you got it.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1ny View Post
The 13' GT500 numbers are in and its trapping 129mph! The ZL1 has yet to trap 120mph

Where did you see a '13 GT500 run 129 mph? I saw a thread on another board, Evan Smith ran 11.81 @ 121. The highest mph that day was 123. I find it hard to believe someone went 6 mph faster than Evan Smith. BTW, are these regular production cars? I didn't realize people were taking delivery yet.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Would the ZL1 be faster on a track such as Nurburgring? Stock, I mean. If so...I'd rather have it as a DD, anyway!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
There's a Justin Timberlake songs that's coming to mind here. What is it again? Oh yeah, Cry Me A River.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Has anyone done a poll on who drives their Camaro as a DD, or a garage queen and NEVER takes it to the track?

Whatever that percentage is, is the percentage that doesn't give a flip about the numbers Ford, or anyone else puts up.

I see the OP's point and respect his "Chevy pride", though.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Then go buy yourself a Mustang if you are chasing track times.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
I am a direhard GM guy and was so excited at the inception of the 5th gen, now 3 years later I am left feeling disappointed..............
I remember when I bought my '10 SS back in may 2009 I was so excited, there was little to no real world data on them and I had high hopes.
I remember the realization sinking in of under performing L99s and the fact that the 5th gen really was no faster than the 4th gen.
Magazine tests at the time favored the 2010 Mustang GT with the track pack, then the 2011 5.0 came out and the 5 gen was playing second fiddle.
GM did nothing to answer ford, not even a dealer add on package.
Now after 3 years of Z28 talk we have the ZL1 which fbodfather and Al O. talked about like it was the second coming, the numbers are in and again its second fiddle...................
The 13' GT500 numbers are in and its trapping 129mph! The ZL1 has yet to trap 120mph
I am willing to bet after all this talk of track times that the GT500 will dominate there too :(
Everyones still in denial hoping its still in "break in" mode , the reality is the GT500 is a superior car, superior to the point its taking aim at GMs flagship sports car , it could care less about the Camaro, it already has the GT and Boss to beat it...............
For decades the Camaro was superior to the Mustang, whats happened GM???
I understand performance is a small part of cars and the average joe cares more about cup holders than quarter miles but to people like myself this is heartbreaking.
The Camaro is no longer about the horsepower and performance it once was (I understand the current gen is the most powerful Camaro ever, speaking in relative terms) , its a novelty

This is a REAL chevy man talking, not just someone who bought the Camaro because it was in a movie or is popular right now. To me Chevy is doing what Mustang did to its buyers during the 4th generation. The Mustang out sold the Camaro so they kept the 4.6 dog of motor in it. Chevy 4th gen V8s were BEASTS beating the Fords every year, but they did not sell as well and we know what happened. When the 5th gen SS Camaro came out it was better than the 4.6 Mustang GT (trust I owned a 05 Mustang) but it stole the sales crown by its looks. Ford for the first time in a long time had to play catch up. Their answer has been improving the Mustang each year and adding power! All that being said the shoe is on the other foot this time. Ford has the power we have the sales. If you don't want your car to go bye bye, you have to focus on looks first and performance second. I know its sad but that is the way it is in this market. Look at cars like the Supra Turbo, Mazda RX-7, 3000 GTVR4, Acura NSX and Viper. They all had crazy performance but the sales were low so they went bye bye.

Hey its sad that Ford might go out on top (performance wise) for the 5th generation. This is probably the last generation with crazy HP numbers and huge V8s. We have till 2014 to enjoy the last of the Muscle Car Wars, it looks like the Challenger is out for the count and maybe Chevy too? I am waiting to see what the ZL1 can do against the Shelby on the track. If we win there I believe the ZL1 is the most complete muscle car and it certainly looks the best

For those saying cry me a river or our car looks better Well as I mentioned above as far as sales, it does make business sense to be the less powerful better selling car BUT give me a break. If your favorite sports team losses the super bowl do you say oh well at least our uniforms look better.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
2ndCamaro79

Good Ole Days

Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #24
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Good video. Love that jacket

Personally I loved the looks of the z28 over the Mustang. I thought the '99 through '04 years were some of the ugliest. This from someone who had a '75 Mustang II in highschool.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
Gr8ride

Drives: Camaro 2Lt
Quote:
I am a direhard GM guy and was so excited at the inception of the 5th gen, now 3 years later I am left feeling disappointed..............
I remember when I bought my '10 SS back in may 2009 I was so excited, there was little to no real world data on them and I had high hopes.
I remember the realization sinking in of under performing L99s and the fact that the 5th gen really was no faster than the 4th gen.
Magazine tests at the time favored the 2010 Mustang GT with the track pack, then the 2011 5.0 came out and the 5 gen was playing second fiddle.
GM did nothing to answer ford, not even a dealer add on package.
Now after 3 years of Z28 talk we have the ZL1 which fbodfather and Al O. talked about like it was the second coming, the numbers are in and again its second fiddle...................
I am willing to bet after all this talk of track times that the GT500 will dominate there too :(
Everyones still in denial hoping its still in "break in" mode , the reality is the GT500 is a superior car, superior to the point its taking aim at GMs flagship sports car , it could care less about the Camaro, it already has the GT and Boss to beat it...............
For decades the Camaro was superior to the Mustang, whats happened GM???
I understand performance is a small part of cars and the average joe cares more about cup holders than quarter miles but to people like myself this is heartbreaking.
The Camaro is no longer about the horsepower and performance it once was (I understand the current gen is the most powerful Camaro ever, speaking in relative terms) , its a novelty
Seriously! I understand that you tip your hat to the "better" car in the 1/4 mile, but do you really think less of your car because of this??
If you ask me the only people who should be butthurt about this are the GM engineers, or maybe not because they designed the car to perform within certain limits and it does so very well.
Unless you make your living on the track, what difference does it make to you? Bragging rights?

Dont worry though I bought the car based on looks....I dont race, perform or pose..I just drive.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #26
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Good video. Love that jacket

Personally I loved the looks of the z28 over the Mustang. I thought the '99 through '04 years were some of the ugliest. This from someone who had a '75 Mustang II in highschool.
I did too, I loved my 1997 Camaro, but most people did not. Back then everyone still thought the Camaro was a mullet mobile. The whole Camaro culture is different now, and there is a premium put on its coolness/swag, that Mustang does not have.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post

This is a REAL chevy man talking, not just someone who bought the Camaro because it was in a movie or is popular right now. To me Chevy is doing what Mustang did to its buyers during the 4th generation. The Mustang out sold the Camaro so they kept the 4.6 dog of motor in it. Chevy 4th gen V8s were BEASTS beating the Fords every year, but they did not sell as well and we know what happened. When the 5th gen SS Camaro came out it was better than the 4.6 Mustang GT (trust I owned a 05 Mustang) but it stole the sales crown by its looks. Ford for the first time in a long time had to play catch up. Their answer has been improving the Mustang each year and adding power! All that being said the shoe is on the other foot this time. Ford has the power we have the sales. If you don't want your car to go bye bye, you have to focus on looks first and performance second. I know its sad but that is the way it is in this market. Look at cars like the Supra Turbo, Mazda RX-7, 3000 GTVR4, Acura NSX and Viper. They all had crazy performance but the sales were low so they went bye bye.

Hey its sad that Ford might go out on top (performance wise) for the 5th generation. This is probably the last generation with crazy HP numbers and huge V8s. We have till 2014 to enjoy the last of the Muscle Car Wars, it looks like the Challenger is out for the count and maybe Chevy too? I am waiting to see what the ZL1 can do against the Shelby on the track. If we win there I believe the ZL1 is the most complete muscle car and it certainly looks the best

For those saying cry me a river or our car looks better Well as I mentioned above as far as sales, it does make business sense to be the less powerful better selling car BUT give me a break. If your favorite sports team losses the super bowl do you say oh well at least our uniforms look better.
thanks man, glad someone understands this!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ride View Post
Seriously! I understand that you tip your hat to the "better" car in the 1/4 mile, but do you really think less of your car because of this??
If you ask me the only people who should be butthurt about this are the GM engineers, or maybe not because they designed the car to perform within certain limits and it does so very well.
Unless you make your living on the track, what difference does it make to you? Bragging rights?

Dont worry though I bought the car based on looks....I dont race, perform or pose..I just drive.
I live to drive and if I was spending the coin on a new GT500 or a ZL1 the choice would be obvious, as much as I am a brand loyalist and do prefer the looks of the Camaro..................

Performance is what matters that is what these cars are about, I can wax with the best of them but to anyone serious about performance a half a second in the quarter is a huge deal, stop light to stop light power and I am willing to bet that GT500 can handle the twisties too, oh not to mention it gets better gas mileage

I know theres always bigger and better ect ect but THIS is Camaros direct competitor, I just expected more, not yesterdays performance at todays price point....................