Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
CTS-V Engine is ACTUALLY 6.2L Supercharged!

As I had guessed... Motortrend.com is now correcting itself and posting what we have talked about at length:

"UPDATE: Our sources have just confirmed that the supercharged V-8 that will power the 2009 Corvette SS/Z07/Blue Devil and the supercharged V-8 that will power the '09 Cadillac CTS-v will be 6.2 liters, not the 7.0-liter as we reported in our July issue. It makes sense in that General Motors was getting the horsepower, but not the torque it wanted from the 427.6 cubic-inch engine. Despite the engine difference, we continue to expect the CTS-v to come with some 600-horsepower when it arrives.
"

NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro Z28 (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro SS (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx

Fixed.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
As I had guessed... Motortrend.com is now correcting itself and posting what we have talked about at length:

"UPDATE: Our sources have just confirmed that the supercharged V-8 that will power the 2009 Corvette SS/Z07/Blue Devil and the supercharged V-8 that will power the '09 Cadillac CTS-v will be 6.2 liters, not the 7.0-liter as we reported in our July issue. It makes sense in that General Motors was getting the horsepower, but not the torque it wanted from the 427.6 cubic-inch engine. Despite the engine difference, we continue to expect the CTS-v to come with some 600-horsepower when it arrives.
"

NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro Z28 (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx
I don't follow...How can GM be putting the top engine of the biggest-baddest Corvette ever built in the Camaro?...I can't see it...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
Actually GM only makes one engine. They just tune the engine for MPG or HP through the computer settings. A few computer tweaks and a Impala can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds...

Really!
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by selil View Post
Actually GM only makes one engine. They just tune the engine for MPG or HP through the computer settings. A few computer tweaks and a Impala can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds...

Really!

Um... no it can't. I don't care what you say, that car (FWD!) cannot do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. You could add a freakin' JATO rocket to the back, and it STILL won't do that.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

If you say so... one engine...alright I guess.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:

Really!

Really? I see you drive an Avalanche....do you suppose the guy down the street driving a Cobalt has the same engine as yours, just tuned for MPG rather than HP?

How about the Vette on the other block? Same engine as yours just tuned for....oh wait, the Vette has more HP and more MPG than your Avalanche. But I thought they used the same engine, just tuned for HP or MPG.

Come on man, did you really just say that with a straight face? Please tell us you were joking.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

I hate to gang up on you, man. But I agree. GM makes multiple engines, but I'll give you this: Most of them share similarities. That's it!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
GM makes a slew of engines. From that tiny wind-up in the Chevy Aveo to commercial fleet trucks.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
GM makes a slew of engines. From that tiny wind-up in the Chevy Aveo to commercial fleet trucks.
i like that!! Wind up, Haha!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I was going to say something too. But, I knew he just couldn't be serious. I took it as being fesicious (spelling right?). Because in that case, I think I'd just go get my 4th Gen tuned so I could pump out the Z06's 505hp and I'd say screw getting a new car. I've got everything right here! Yeah...I'm pretty sure he's joking.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Here's what I'm hoping for... 505+ hp Z -- 600 hp SS.

To the best of my knowledge, in the past GM has kept the Camaro & Trans Am's up to par with it's line of high-end Caddy's (HP wise). For example, Cadillac's NorthStar engine having 300 hp while regular z28's, firehawks & ss's have had 300+.

Maybe it'll never happen but I'm hoping that with Cadillacs involvement, the SS Camaro will get a high-end upgrade. Even if it's a Limited Edition like what Ford's doing with the Shelby GT500.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:

Really!
In my area of the plant, GM Powertrain St. Catharines, we make the LS2, LS3, LS4, LH6, LSA and that is just the Aluminum blocks. There is also the Cast Iron blocks and engines and the high feature V6 (HFV6) block machining and assembly area. So, in my books, just in our plant alone, that is more than one engine!
I guess if we are not sure about what we are saying, then it is best left unsaid! Maybe he was thinking of toyota who puts the same engine in all their cars from the premium priced lexus on down. But then again, maybe you just pulled one over on us!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #14
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
i like that!! Wind up, Haha!
No No No It's 102 Hamsters all running around a wheel!!! (The 103rd Hamster is set aside to make the silly chirp when you lock the doors/set the alarm.)

I've called my Aveo the Hamstermobile for months...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote