Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Mech

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Anyone in Fort Worth want to help me out?

Like the title says I am in a little need of help. It's kind of funny this is the first car I am really trying to take car of and today I attempted to wash and wax the car but it came out terrible. I am not sure if the products I'm using are not good or if its just me that is the no good one. Any help would be great in person or over the web.

Ok the products I'm using are Meguiar's ultimate wash and wax and Meguiar's nxt Tech wax 2.0. The result was pretty bad the car has a ton of spots that are evenly spread over the car that I cant seem to get out and there is a slight haze from the wax that is not going away too. I'm not sure if this information is useful but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
jose1003

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
did you wax all the car before cleaning it?
you should do sections at a time, also did you wax in the sun?

I also wax my car with nxt wax 2.0
and every now and then i use clay
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose1003 View Post
did you wax all the car before cleaning it?
you should do sections at a time, also did you wax in the sun?

I also wax my car with nxt wax 2.0
and every now and then i use clay
I washed it before I waxed and I waxed in my garage out of the sun. I think I may have not waited long enough for it to dry before removing the wax.

Also how would I remove the wax so I can start over?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
snowtrill

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6- Rogue
Welcome

First of all look in the forum:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

The top stickied thread will help as well as the rest of the threads but you want to start there. Also the Junkman is a great source:

He recommends Adams products but the techniques work with any good products. From what I have read Mequires is a good over the counter product. Just so you are aware I use Zaino's products which are polish only so I am limited with what I know about waxes.

The haze I believe is because the wax was applied too thickly. In order to remove the wax you will need to wash your car with Dawn dish washing liquid. Dawn is only for use when you need to remove all waxes/polished etc which should be a couple of times a year at most. The rest of the time you need to be using an actual car wash.

After washing the car you might want to claybar your car. Again Junkman has a video for that and explains way better than I ever could. If you choose not to claybar now (which is fine) you do need to make sure the car is dry with no water spots which means using good quality towels. Microfiber is fine but avoid towels made in China or Korea they are not true microfiber and will scratch your paint.

I hope this helps if not ask more questions and I will do my best to answer but I get almost all my info from the Junkman, besides he's a lot of fun to watch.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrill View Post
Welcome

First of all look in the forum:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

The top stickied thread will help as well as the rest of the threads but you want to start there. Also the Junkman is a great source:

He recommends Adams products but the techniques work with any good products. From what I have read Mequires is a good over the counter product. Just so you are aware I use Zaino's products which are polish only so I am limited with what I know about waxes.

The haze I believe is because the wax was applied too thickly. In order to remove the wax you will need to wash your car with Dawn dish washing liquid. Dawn is only for use when you need to remove all waxes/polished etc which should be a couple of times a year at most. The rest of the time you need to be using an actual car wash.

After washing the car you might want to claybar your car. Again Junkman has a video for that and explains way better than I ever could. If you choose not to claybar now (which is fine) you do need to make sure the car is dry with no water spots which means using good quality towels. Microfiber is fine but avoid towels made in China or Korea they are not true microfiber and will scratch your paint.

I hope this helps if not ask more questions and I will do my best to answer but I get almost all my info from the Junkman, besides he's a lot of fun to watch.

Good luck!
Awesome thanks man. I don't know how good I would feel using that machine on a brand new car. I heard some horror stories about burning paint. I'd like to see it in person. Are there any good detailers around the Fort Worth area? Once again thanks for the info.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
lightner75
LoneStar Camaro

Drives: 2010 cyber gray 2ss
i have personally not used them,but i have seen pic.and heard amazing things about showroom fx. in dallas...they are off of preston road
lightner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
snowtrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech View Post
Awesome thanks man. I don't know how good I would feel using that machine on a brand new car. I heard some horror stories about burning paint. I'd like to see it in person. Are there any good detailers around the Fort Worth area? Once again thanks for the info.
You don't have to use the pc. In fact the biggest thing is to use the correct wash technique with the two buckets and two sponges. I don't own a pc and do all my polish application by hand. It doesn't take that long once you've done it a couple of times.

Also you might check mequires website for product specific hints.

I'm one of the Camaro ladies but love detailing too.

Showroom is a good detailer they are also a sponsor of the Lone Star Camaro Club

Cheers
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Mech

Quote:
You don't have to use the pc. In fact the biggest thing is to use the correct wash technique with the two buckets and two sponges. I don't own a pc and do all my polish application by hand. It doesn't take that long once you've done it a couple of times.

Also you might check mequires website for product specific hints.

I'm one of the Camaro ladies but love detailing too.

Showroom is a good detailer they are also a sponsor of the Lone Star Camaro Club

Cheers
I appreciate all the great info and I will "try" and use the search button next time, it's just that I always have to go through hundreds of pages before I find anything relevant.

Once again thanks for the help and I look forward to meeting you all in the future.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Cheetoh

Drives: 2011 Callaway SC572, 2000 Firehawk
If you are looking for a Great Detailer in the Ft. Worth area, Check this guy out.
http://www.scottwax.com/
Cheetoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetoh View Post
If you are looking for a Great Detailer in the Ft. Worth area, Check this guy out.
http://www.scottwax.com/
His work looks amazing. I may have to look into him as well. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
snowtrill

Junkman just posted a new series about washing your car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120228
Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Mech

Quote:

Thank you very much. Seems like all the spots went away after I rewashed it with a different soap and did not use that fancy wax either just a quick detailed after the wash and it looked like a show car.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
pk1225

Drives: '68 SS396, '02 SLP SS, 2010 2SS/RS
I used the Tech 2.0 the first time (with the clay bar treatment first), switched to the Maguires Gold Carnauba the second time and liked that better. The third time I wanted to try to get rid of all these fine scratches I've been picking up so I clay bar'ed it again, then tried Maguire's scratch remover paste (which didn't do a thing for the fine scratches but I think added some depth to the finished product). The "scratch removing" paste recommended the Tech 2.0 wax so I used that again for my third waxing.

I noticed that the Tech 2.0 is a pretty "wet" wax. You want to put it on thin and give it plenty of time to cure. I think it maybe is not the best choice for high humidity areas/situations, as the high humidity here around Houston seems to make it take forever to dry to the point where I can take the wax back off. Probably not quite as bad up there in Ft. Worth, but still that sounds like what you were dealing with. The wax just hadn't dried enough yet.

I'll probably go back to the Gold wax next time. Or step up and try the Zaino products, everybody seems to rave about them.
pk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
pk1225

Drives: '68 SS396, '02 SLP SS, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

That link isn't working for me. Which sux, I really want to see what everybody else is doing to avoid these fine scratches.
pk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote