Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Removing A/C Vents (side) Help

So I have removed all (3) 7mm bolts but the vent I still can't get to pop out?

I have a 2010 2SS and it looks like there is still a clip or flexible clip of some sort holding it in.

I can get to one of the side clips to remove the silver trim from the vent, but can't get to the other one (if there is one).

Any help here?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
TwentyTen2SSRS

Any help? Too two pieces came out but base part is still in there and don't think I can get these back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
It's been so long since I pulled mine out, I'm not sure I will be of much help... From what I can remember there are only the 3 7mm hex head bolts holding it in? If I remember right, mine practically fell out once they were removed, then I separated the vent, bezel, housing pieces once they were out of the car.

From looking at your pictures I'm a little confused as to how you made it as far as you did... The vent piece sandwiches between the silver trim piece and the base that bolts on with the 3 screws... This is going to sound stupid, but you aren't trying to pull this stuff out through the hole in the dash are you??
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

No no through the side/back. But the bottom piece (closest to front/engine) is held in by a fourth or clip or something on the inner side (side near center of dash) and I couldn't get it to pull out. But once I got it off main vent there was enough room to pull back and get the silver piece off. When I got that off the center piece came with

Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

No one?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS

Here is what the piece still in there is attached to

Some sort of clip on top left

Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

I over-exposed your picture in photoshop to make it easier to see... The red arrows I've added should be where the screws are that you removed if I remember right (like I said, it's been a long time)... I can't really see what it's hanging up on, but like I said, I just removed those 3 screws and the vent tube, and the whole piece just came out, I don't remember any extra clips, etc??? Sorry I'm not being of much help
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS

It's hung up on that last one. Mine is a 2010 if that helps. I got passenger side out and definitely total of four. Attempted driver side and same thing. Got first three out and then hung on fourth one

Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Jason@JacFab

I don't think this will be of much help, but here is a side shot of my 14. Looks to be exactly the same as the 10 from what I remember... I can litterally wiggle the entire vent assy from side to side, I don't think there is anything holding it in other than the 3 (4 if you count the one in the vent tube, arrow on the left) 7mm head screws holding it in... To be honest, I don't know how you got the other two pieces out without successfully removing the whole assembly.

You can see 3 screws in this picture, one is more hidden on the back side of the vent... To get mine out, I have to put together something like 18 or 24" of extensions on a 1/4" drive ratchet to reach it and get it out. Hope this helps? If not, maybe someone else will chime in because this is really very strange to me.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

This is exactly it!! I just can't get to the hidden one. I was able to get to it in passengers side through open glove box. Drivers side I have no idea how you get anything in there to get that last screw

Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

It is all very loose in there like you said but that last hidden one in each side causing serious headache

Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Ohhh, I'm finally picking up what you are laying down. It's a pain. 18-24" of extensions on a 1/4" drive is how I got it out on mine.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
TwentyTen2SSRS

Yeah it's nearly impossible... Got the silver bezel out in drivers side by popping it off the middle piece and I just left them in there

Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
TwentyTen2SSRS

Got it done