Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #29
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the tire has to come off the rim and cleaned out to get that fix a crap out before it eats the tire. so might as well get it patched for $10-$15
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #30
That_Guy

Drives: n/a
Just tighten the screw.....

No seriously, a plug will be more than sufficient
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #31
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
[QUOTE=Muscle Car Memories;7921430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post

get it done for free where?....let me know cause im all in if i knew....lol
All Discount Tire/America's Tire perform free flat repairs regardless of where you bought the tire from. Takes about 15 minutes to repair.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #32
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Its right in the center of the tire...
Your good then..its not just a plug they put in....the end thats on the inside of the tire covers way more surface then just the hole. Its about 2 inch diameter.Seals perfect to the tire.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 AM   #33
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
I got to stop speed reading these thread titles. I missed the word "in"!! ROFL!!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #34
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Just finished two weeks of tire classes with my stores across BC so while it's fresh in my mind here are some answers IMO, and well some facts mixed in as well;

Fix a flat can ruin your TPMS. There is a small hole in the sensor to measure the pressure, that goop gets in the hole and dries. Sensor is junk because who will take the time to try and fix it? They are meant as an emergency repair because we no longer have a spare tire in the car and should be cleaned out and fixed properly ASAP.

Do NOT use plugs.they are illegal here and will be illegal everywhere eventually. They can cause more damage as you destroy the belts and materials in the tire putting it in. It's old technology and ideas. Kinda like throwing out fuel injection because you like tuning a carburetor.

Take it to a shop and get a proper patch on the inside. Will it cost you? Yes it will but it's better than ruining the tire or having it come apart at highway speeds because you thought you could save a buck.

Your tires are the only thing between your ass and the ground so don't cheap out and not fix it right. Your car and life as well as the lives of everyone on the street around you are worth the $20-30 to fix it properly. Tires, brake and steering are the three thing that nobody should be messing with and need to be done right.

As a side not I too had a flat this week on my Goodyear F1's and it was literally a pice of wood slightly larger than a tooth pick. Nice soft tires are great for traction and racing around corners but not so much for anything else. It got a patch inside like it should be and I'm safely on the road again.

Feel free to PM any question if you would like any help.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #35
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
I'm in the tire plug camp as well. Of the half dozen tires I've had plugged, they hold air and perform just fine and cost $5-10. I concede a patch "may be better"...if you're in doubt just replace the tire.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
[QUOTE=JTruck;7921457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post

All Discount Tire/America's Tire perform free flat repairs regardless of where you bought the tire from. Takes about 15 minutes to repair.
I concur... knowing from experience.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #37
Brazensol

Drives: 2013 2SS
Plug it yourself. I have plugged many flats and only one ever leaked. Re-plugged it and no more leak.
Brazensol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #38
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
My .02, string plugs are perfectly safe, I've put as many as six in one tire from running over a wire brush or something else. I've exceeded a 100 mph as a LEO and never an issue. Prior to that as a truck driver with a million miles. In my 27 years of driving I have never had a string plug leak come loose etc., but have had numerous patches leak.

The rest is BS from tire people to get them your business. Nine out of ten times they'll say its to close to the radius or sidewall and needs replacing.

I will agree them on replacing tires over six years old.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #39
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
As jtruck said....discount tire is the place to go it's free and it's patch on the inside....no brainer.

Read my text.....it is free.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #40
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
The Plug will safely get you to where you need to be, then if you want bring it somewhere that will dismount the tire and put a patch from the inside, A plug will work, but a patch on the inside is better

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #41
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
Plug it yourself. I have plugged many flats and only one ever leaked. Re-plugged it and no more leak.

I did, I just returned that Fix A Flat stuff and bought a plug kit, plugged it and it seems fine and no leaks.

That screw was longer than I originally thought, it was 3/4 of the ways in the tire and I come close to putting some glue on it and screwing it the rest of the way in to see if that would stop the leak but I went ahead with the plug.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #42
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
The screw was about midway of the tire in a groove in between the tread, I guess time will tell about the plug. Worst case I replace the tire.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote