Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Apply vinyl before or after paint protection?

I'm thinking about applying either Opti-Coat or 22PLE paint protection to my ZL1. I have a set of SLP fade-to-black gill stripes and lower trunk lid black out ready to apply once the weather warms up a bit more. Is it best to apply the vinyl before or after the paint protection?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I'm thinking about applying either Opti-Coat or 22PLE paint protection to my ZL1. I have a set of SLP fade-to-black gill stripes and lower trunk lid black out ready to apply once the weather warms up a bit more. Is it best to apply the vinyl before or after the paint protection?
I'd apply it before. That way you have no question about the vinyl sticking to the coating. Plus, you can actually apply some coatings over vinyl, thus protecting the stripes as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I'd apply it before. That way you have no question about the vinyl sticking to the coating. Plus, you can actually apply some coatings over vinyl, thus protecting the stripes as well.
Thanks. That makes sense to apply the vinyl prior to the paint protection.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
gdl029
CAROMARO

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 1LT
I just applied opti-coat last weekend. I emailed opti-coat before I put it over my vinyl and they said it would go over it no problem. I have gloss white b ut it made them pop a little more. So far very happy with the opti-coat.
gdl029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl029 View Post
I just applied opti-coat last weekend. I emailed opti-coat before I put it over my vinyl and they said it would go over it no problem. I have gloss white b ut it made them pop a little more. So far very happy with the opti-coat.
Thanks. Good to know Opti-Coat can be applied over vinyl.

The detailer I'm dealing with is pushing the 22PLE over Opti-Coat. Says it will produce more shine and since my car is not my DD it will last longer than the 1.5-2 years. I'm personally leaning towards the Opti-Coat even though it's more expensive. I was told if it is applied during the first 1000 miles, they will warranty the product for the life of the vehicle. That sounds well worth it to me.