Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I finally heard back from Crews Chevrolet and I was told that the service manager is the only person who can deal with a top issue since "it is such an expensive trim item." However, the SM is out this week, and I would need to wait until next week to bring it in to see if the SM would verify if it was damage to be covered under warranty or just normal wear and tear. Also, they do not do any of the top work at the dealership and it would need to be subbed out. I guess I will call Hendrick back and see about getting an appointment there to look at the car.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Also, verify that the number of top replacements that were quoted ("4-5 recently") is only 5th Gen Camaros and doesn't include Corvettes. The top on the Camaro is particularly tricky, more so than the Vette.

If possible, it would also be great if the dealership could provide a customer reference that has had the top replaced there so you can see the work. Wishing you the best of luck with it ... keep us updated on the progress!
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
Algeron

I took the car to Rick Hendrick. They saw that there is a hard plastic bar that is pinching the top when in the down position. They believe this caused the rub. They are going to review the situation, and let me know what the results are. They could just replace the top, but they know in the current state, this will happen again.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
Also, verify that the number of top replacements that were quoted ("4-5 recently") is only 5th Gen Camaros and doesn't include Corvettes. The top on the Camaro is particularly tricky, more so than the Vette.

If possible, it would also be great if the dealership could provide a customer reference that has had the top replaced there so you can see the work. Wishing you the best of luck with it ... keep us updated on the progress!
It was 5 2011-2012 Camaros. I asked this morning.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Based on their responses that you posted in the two posts above, it sounds as if they do have a clue about the Camaro tops. Push for the full replacement of the top mechanism to prevent recurrance (though they may not be able to go for that this go around). Also, check with GM about extending the warranty on the top and mechanism.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
Based on their responses that you posted in the two posts above, it sounds as if they do have a clue about the Camaro tops. Push for the full replacement of the top mechanism to prevent recurrance (though they may not be able to go for that this go around). Also, check with GM about extending the warranty on the top and mechanism.
Once I get all the documentation from this event, I will be contacting GM about the top. I did get an extended warranty on the car (no plans on modding or tuning it out of warranty) due to it being a vert, but I was told the warranty only covers the mechanics and that the canvas would no longer be covered after the 36k mark.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Ask and you can get an extended that includes the top. Many of us have that. It would be separate from your current extended warranty.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Algeron

Just heard back from the dealership. I was told that this is a flaw in the car's design, and that they have already ordered a new top. They will make the necessary adjustments to the mechanism and have the top replaced next Wednesday. This will include a retint of my rear window.

I was also told that there have been some modifications to the top design as well to combat some of these issues.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
Just heard back from the dealership. I was told that this is a flaw in the car's design, and that they have already ordered a new top. They will make the necessary adjustments to the mechanism and have the top replaced next Wednesday. This will include a retint of my rear window.

I was also told that there have been some modifications to the top design as well to combat some of these issues.
congrats!

Please ask them for the part # of the kit they are ordering for you. There is a new kit due any time now that is supposed to have a different part #. I'll look around for old kit part #.

Update: The last (aka old) kit part # I have found is 22972088 (6/27/12). This is just a top and not a top and mechanism.

Last edited by intensifi; 04-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Good Luck, hope it turns out OK for ya
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
Algeron

I am hoping so. I will get what info I can next week.

She did tell me that out of all the tops they have dealt with, that none have come back. I was also shown that they have 6 GM World Class techs working here as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
rubbersoul84

Drives: IO 2012 2SS/RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
Once I get all the documentation from this event, I will be contacting GM about the top. I did get an extended warranty on the car (no plans on modding or tuning it out of warranty) due to it being a vert, but I was told the warranty only covers the mechanics and that the canvas would no longer be covered after the 36k mark.
My dealer told me the top gets a new warranty once it's replaced. I've got almost 2 years left on my original whole car warranty, but have had the top replaced once, so that has its own. I told them it would need to be replaced again if they just did the canvas and not the whole mechanism. The manager sighed and said "I know." They told me each new top would get a new warranty until GM decided to get its head out of its ass and fix it for real. I figure they can replace the top once a year and I'll have a lifetime warranty on that bad boy. LOL
rubbersoul84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Get it in writing. Your warranty will be up at 36K. If the new top was replaced at 24k you only will get 12 months or 12K which brings it up to 36K. If you got it replaced at 35k it would be good for another year and 47K. See where I am going with this?
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
Algeron

This is the piece that wore the spot in the 3rd pic.