Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
jim911

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2014 E63 AMG Wagon,
I thought all the rear spoilers were black
jim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
deuceman

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #479 - 05 Silverado SS
Is that in Grapevine?
deuceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
luis550

Drives: 2013 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim911 View Post
it might still be black, but it looks to be covered by some foam stuff(don't know the actual name)
luis550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim911 View Post
Its a shipping wrap , dealer will remove during PDI .

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
jim911

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2014 E63 AMG Wagon,
Got it
jim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #20
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman View Post
Is that in Grapevine?
Didn't see your post until now, since every minute of yesterday was spent scrambling to find tires, book appointments with the tire installer in Austin and the Service Dept. at Abel Chevrolet, and work out my travel plans to DFW. First World problem!

Yes, the car's at Grapevine. I'll be taking delivery around 9:30 this morning. Mine is the second 2014; I wish I could have gotten their first car as that was VIN 007...
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Just drove the car back from Grapevine (near DFW) to Austin. I took the back roads because I hate the giant construction project known as I-35.

A few comments. My last track day car was a C63 AMG Black Series coupe. I actually think the two cars are similar: both are fairly heavy, both have big V-8 engines with lots of HP and torque, both have great chassis with excellent suspensions and killer brakes, and -- most importantly -- both are made for extended track use with big coolers on everything that makes hot oil, water, or fluid. This means that you can hammer both cars around the track all day -- even in hot weather -- and when you pull into the pits you are often the only car without The Smell of Death. No overheating brakes, with oil, coolant, and diff temps that hardly vary from the numbers you get driving to the track. I like cars that feel as though they're sneering back at me, "That's all you got for me?!?".

Now, I haven't driven the Z/28 on track yet, so I can't comment about what it's like to track the car (yet). I will, however, say this.

The Z/28 is -- despite the sophistication of the suspension, the superb brakes, and the wonderful attention to detail that was lavished on it by Team Z/28 -- a very blunt instrument. At 75 mph on Texas secondary roads (that's the legal limit on a lot of two lane roads, in the country), this thing is LOUD inside. I found it more tolerable on the freeway, but once traffic thinned and we were able to exceed 60 mph I pulled over, got out my in-ear headphones (which have a noise reduction rating of 30dB), and used them as ear plugs for the remaining 90% of the trip.

That's not a complaint, as this car will only be driven on the street if there's a track at the end. However, anyone considering this as a daily driver is going to get a very rude awakening. Perhaps this will be improved by running street tires, but the overall noise level is pretty high, the suspension has very little compliance and doesn't tolerate road imperfections well, and the Trofeo Rs really like to hunt on anything less than billiard-table smooth pavement.

In short, they did very little to compromise the setup for comfort; it is entirely biased to the track side of the equation — which is EXACTLY as it should be. The Black Series was a Town Car, ride-quality-wise, by comparison -- but I have little doubt that the Z/28 will murder it on-track. Which, for $75K, is a deal I can live with just fine, thank you.

I am getting ready to drive the car 1,800 miles (Austin to NorCal), and am having some reservations. The big plus is that the car will be broken in during the trip, serviced next Tuesday, and ready for two days at Sears Point May 31/June 1. The negative is, if my ears are ringing after 4 hours of driving, will I still be able to hear after nearly 30 hours of driving?

ONE MORE THING: I have NEVER driving anything that's gotten the reaction the Z/28 elicits from other drivers. First, there are a lot of beaters and small Japanese cars that decide they need to blast past and cut in front of you at the last minute. That's normal in a hot car, as some people need to overcompensate for certain diminutive organs. However, the massive positive response is very cool to experience. I lost count of the number of guys who'd pull alongside, roll the window down (lots of dark window tint in Dallas), and give me a big and enthusiastic thumbs-up. It feels like the name Z/28 is such an icon, and people are happy to witness the Return of The King. The Z/28 is a car that truly goes to eleven...

Last edited by brt3; 05-18-2014 at 10:47 AM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
PRETTY!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
finally a great color!
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
finally a great color!
Thanks, though I think the car looks great in almost every color. My daughter, on the other hand, sighed when she saw it and said, "Another silver car? Real original, Dad!". I just like silver and have had this color on 90% of my cars.

I've already decided what Clarkson's opening line will be if TopGear ever tests the Z/28:

"It's the Z/28 Camaro, and it GOES TO ELEVEN!"

Which, as we know, is one better than ten...
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
wow! it's just spectacular. so nice ,it looks wet. congrats!!!!

do you have a/c or you'll roll down those windows during that trip?

anyway you'll have plenty of fun with it. congrats again.
only wish that i could afford one......
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #26
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
wow! it's just spectacular. so nice ,it looks wet. congrats!!!!

do you have a/c or you'll roll down those windows during that trip?

anyway you'll have plenty of fun with it. congrats again.
only wish that i could afford one......
Thanks! I fully admit to being an A/C-ordering wimp. The idea of driving to Thunderhill during 100-degree weather -- and then attempting to drive on the track afterwards -- does NOT appeal to me...
Old 05-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #27
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
The Trofeos are not bad on the road to be honest, I drove them between Reno and Thunderhill many times, and of course locally 1 hour each way to the track.

Bring some ear plugs though...haha.
So, you thought I was joking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post

Now, I haven't driven the Z/28 on track yet, so I can't comment about what it's like to track the car (yet). I will, however, say this.

The Z/28 is -- despite the sophistication of the suspension, the superb brakes, and the wonderful attention to detail that was lavished on it by Team Z/28 -- a very blunt instrument. At 75 mph on Texas secondary roads (that's the legal limit on a lot of two lane roads, in the country), this thing is LOUD inside. I found it more tolerable on the freeway, but once traffic thinned and we were able to exceed 60 mph I pulled over, got out my in-ear headphones (which have a noise reduction rating of 30dB), and used them as ear plugs for the remaining 90% of the trip.

That's not a complaint, as this car will only be driven on the street if there's a track at the end. However, anyone considering this as a daily driver is going to get a very rude awakening. Perhaps this will be improved by running street tires, but the overall noise level is pretty high,

In short, they did very little to compromise the setup for comfort; it is entirely biased to the track side of the equation — which is EXACTLY as it should be. The Black Series was a Town Car, ride-quality-wise, by comparison -- but I have little doubt that the Z/28 will murder it on-track. Which, for $75K, is a deal I can live with just fine, thank you.

I am getting ready to drive the car 1,800 miles (Austin to NorCal), and am having some reservations. The big plus is that the car will be broken in during the trip, serviced next Tuesday, and ready for two days at Sears Point May 31/June 1. The negative is, if my ears are ringing after 4 hours of driving, will I still be able to hear after nearly 30 hours of driving?

ONE MORE THING: I have NEVER driving anything that's gotten the reaction the Z/28 elicits from other drivers. First, there are a lot of beaters and small Japanese cars that decide they need to blast past and cut in front of you at the last minute. That's normal in a hot car, as some people need to overcompensate for certain diminutive organs. However, the massive positive response is very cool to experience. I lost count of the number of guys who'd pull alongside, roll the window down (lots of dark window tint in Dallas), and give me a big and enthusiastic thumbs-up. It feels like the name Z/28 is such an icon, and people are happy to witness the Return of The King. The Z/28 is a car that truly goes to eleven...
Great stuff and pretty much exactly what I expected (and wanted) to hear from someone with track experience. Thanks for the write-up! Serious track cars make terrible street cars for poseurs, and tolerable, "wow I'm driving a race car on the street!" street toys for the hardcore, serious, car guys and girls

I'm well past the point where I'm willing to do more than an hour on the road in one anymore. Trailers for the win! Haha.

To be honest I have been dreading the freaking boy racers and stop-light "racing" (Look at me! I pressed the accelerator pedal! WOW!) d-bags when driving this car. Thumbs-up is a good thing and expected given it's an "American" (N. American) car. It is a proud moment for a US nameplate, no doubt. And thanks to fine Oshawa Canada folks for great assembly!

Yes, I can picture the same Jeremy Clarkson comment. Eleven, bitchez!

Just think, "you could have bought a Corvette for that kind of money" or let one of the previous forum know-it-all trolling jackwads build you the same car for half the price!. Must be a lot of stupid going around lately to buy a Z/28...lol!

Enjoy your lovely car while I go back to trying to find a gawddammed mf'ing enclosed transport from MD to Reno. How and why is that so difficult? Argh!

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #28
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
So, you thought I was joking?

Enjoy your lovely car while I go back to trying to find a gawddammed mf'ing enclosed transport from MD to Reno. How and why is that so difficult? Argh!
Actually, I did think you were joking -- or exaggerating. Now that I've heard it for myself, I'm a believer...

I got 5-6 quotes for enclosed transport, ranging from $1,200 to $2,000. The $1,200 was awfully tempting, but I decided to do the drive/break-in to be ready for Sears Point on May 31/June 1.