Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Alright, I went with the DBA rotors, Hawkpad HP+, and stoptech rotors.

Has anyone seen any DiY any any tips on problems I might encounter if I do the Install myself.
Blacc Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
SoI just bought some Brembo brakes from the SS to put on my V6, I have the front and back calipers and the front rotors. Can anyone tell me what other pieces that I will need to put them on my car.
I would change the master cylinder as well. Easy to swap, just take the old off and put on the new. Pedal feel is much better after, it can be a bit sensitive running the brembos with the v6 master cylinder.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
I would change the master cylinder as well. Easy to swap, just take the old off and put on the new. Pedal feel is much better after, it can be a bit sensitive running the brembos with the v6 master cylinder.
First I heard of that part, could you post a link?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
you will need the retaining clips and pins (they can be ordered from Oreilly's website).
Hey, is there a pic of the clips and pins? Looked on that site but there aren't any images of those items.
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
nak3dsnake

Quote:
First I heard of that part, could you post a link?
I believe I'm the only one that has done it. I'll post instructions when I'm on lunch.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #20
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Quote:
I believe I'm the only one that has done it. I'll post instructions when I'm on lunch.
Thanks, also has your dealership said anything about voiding your warranty by swapping brakes out for better ones. I went to get an oil change this morning and he baisically said my warranty will be voided if I change them.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #21
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Thanks, also has your dealership said anything about voiding your warranty by swapping brakes out for better ones. I went to get an oil change this morning and he baisically said my warranty will be voided if I change them.
My dealer hasn't said a thing. He cant just void your warranty for putting on different brakes, even then it would only be the warranty for your brakes. He cant void your powertrain warranty, or any other for brakes.

Here's a good read on your rights when in comes to parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #22
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Quote:
My dealer hasn't said a thing. He cant just void your warranty for putting on different brakes, even then it would only be the warranty for your brakes. He cant void your powertrain warranty, or any other for brakes.

Here's a good read on your rights when in comes to parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Thanks for the reassurance
Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #23
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Someone was telling me I had to trim something. What is that about?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON_RAFA View Post
Hey, is there a pic of the clips and pins? Looked on that site but there aren't any images of those items.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...010&vi=1444223

Quote:
Go out and look at the rear brakes. Will see a thin metal dust shield that goes around the rotor. You have to trim off the lip of the dust shield so that a bigger rotor will fit. Once you look at it, you'll see what has to come off.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Yes, the backing plates are different front and rear, the fronts you can change to the SS plates, but the rears are part of the park brake/hub setup and would be more expensive, so the easy way is to trim the ledge off of the rear plates (pic below).

We just installed a set of SS calipers on a 2LT/RS today, they turned out great, and the customer is very pleased with them!

- Jeremy
Attached Images

JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #26
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Yes, the backing plates are different front and rear, the fronts you can change to the SS plates, but the rears are part of the park brake/hub setup and would be more expensive, so the easy way is to trim the ledge off of the rear plates (pic below).

We just installed a set of SS calipers on a 2LT/RS today, they turned out great, and the customer is very pleased with them!

- Jeremy
Do you think this would be doable if I did the entire process myself. Only on other thing I'm unsure of is the brake fluid process and bleeding process. I can get everything off and bolted back if it uses same mounting points.
How much did you charge you customer to install, if I end up taking it to a shop a would like to know agood ballpark figure.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #27
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Yeah, really its not too hard of a job, depending on your ability and motivation. It is a little time consuming, but not terrible.
The hardest part would probably be cutting the rear plates. If you have a die grinder, or heavy duty tin snips, or dremel, or something like that, it should be no problem at all.
The rest is just 2 bolts per caliper, one bolt per rotor, and 3 bolts per front backing plate. Plus the bolt and nut for each brake line (assuming you get new ones, as they are different from the V6 lines).

Bleeding can be done fairly easily, there are some units that pressurize the brake master cylinder which will force out the fluid, at the open bleeder screw.
I usually will let gravity do most of the bleeding; open the bleeder screw, ensure you have enough brake fluid in the master cylinder, and wait. Gravity will pull the fluid through the lines, and out the open bleeder screw. As you probably know, there are two screws per caliper, and both must be bled. After a while going back and forth between the screws in one caliper, I move on and do the rest.
Then when done with all 4 calipers, I'll get an assistant and do the more traditional bleed a couple times per screw, per caliper (press the brake pedal, open screw, close screw, pump pedal, repeat). It won't take too much to get all the air out (as long as you don't drain the master cylinder too far). I like using a clear vacuum line and watch for air bubbles throughout the process.

I would guess most shops would charge between 4 and 6 hours of labor to do all calipers, rotors, plates (cutting the rears), brake lines, and bleeding the brakes. Most shops are in the $75-$125 range per hour.

- Jeremy
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #28
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Yeah, really its not too hard of a job, depending on your ability and motivation. It is a little time consuming, but not terrible.
The hardest part would probably be cutting the rear plates. If you have a die grinder, or heavy duty tin snips, or dremel, or something like that, it should be no problem at all.
The rest is just 2 bolts per caliper, one bolt per rotor, and 3 bolts per front backing plate. Plus the bolt and nut for each brake line (assuming you get new ones, as they are different from the V6 lines).

Bleeding can be done fairly easily, there are some units that pressurize the brake master cylinder which will force out the fluid, at the open bleeder screw.
I usually will let gravity do most of the bleeding; open the bleeder screw, ensure you have enough brake fluid in the master cylinder, and wait. Gravity will pull the fluid through the lines, and out the open bleeder screw. As you probably know, there are two screws per caliper, and both must be bled. After a while going back and forth between the screws in one caliper, I move on and do the rest.
Then when done with all 4 calipers, I'll get an assistant and do the more traditional bleed a couple times per screw, per caliper (press the brake pedal, open screw, close screw, pump pedal, repeat). It won't take too much to get all the air out (as long as you don't drain the master cylinder too far). I like using a clear vacuum line and watch for air bubbles throughout the process.

I would guess most shops would charge between 4 and 6 hours of labor to do all calipers, rotors, plates (cutting the rears), brake lines, and bleeding the brakes. Most shops are in the $75-$125 range per hour.

- Jeremy
You just simplified this process ten fold
Yet I still may get confused with bleeding part, I drained the brake fluid from the calipers already, and got new motul brake fluid. But I have no clue where master cylinder is.

I got a quote around $350 so I'll check a few more shops, if not figure Ill give it a try and do it myself.