Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
sat·ire
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
Noun
The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of...
A play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire.

Im confused....whos stupidity or vice was that a "satire" of?

if you want an example of Satire, watch a Colbert Report...he makes fun of people being stupid all the time......what he doesnt make fun of is a tragedy like a child being left in a hot car....
It was a satire of the professionals involved with the incident, of course. The non-existent, fictional and make-believe child in this satire was never once the subject of ridicule
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #44
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
It was a satire of the professionals involved with the incident
I see and what did the professionals do in real life that was so stupid? that they made a satire about? Looked to me like all the stupid stuff was injected.....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #45
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I got about 3 lines in, and thought "This has to be from The Onion".

Sure enough...it was.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #46
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
I see and what did the professionals do in real life that was so stupid? that they made a satire about? Looked to me like all the stupid stuff was injected.....
Um....the people in this story are all made up. The stupidity of the fake, non-existent pros is quite obvious, in what they focused on and what they said

Did you...think this was a real life news item that somebody doctored?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #47
Rhyder

Quote:
Um....the people in this story are all made up. The stupidity of the fake, non-existent pros is quite obvious, in what they focused on and what they said

Did you...think this was a real life news item that somebody doctored?
you have proven my point, Satire is making fun of peoples stupidity or vice as in the definition...if the story contained and was all about completely fabricated people, it was not in fact Satire.....
Old 07-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
you have proven my point, Satire is making fun of peoples stupidity or vice as in the definition...if the story contained and was all about completely fabricated people, it was not in fact Satire.....
You're going to argue over the definition of the word 'satire', then?

Okey dokey. Look at your definition again, the one you provided:

"sat·ire
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
Noun
The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of...
A play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire."

When you read that, you see "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize specific, real people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of...
A play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire"

Unfortunately, the context of the definition is not one that requires a specific, real person, as outlined in the very example you provided of the definition of the term. Examples of the "people" satirized are:

"reporters"
"policemen"

How am I proving your point, exactly? Another definition (with examples!)

" A text or performance that uses irony, derision, or wit to expose or attack human vice, foolishness, or stupidity. Verb: satirize. Adjective: satiric or satirical. One of the best known satirical works in English is Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1726). Contemporary vehicles for satire include The Colbert Report, South Park, and The Onion. "

Another definition:

"sat·ire [sat-ahyuhr] noun
1. the use of irony sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

I'm all for a nice argument, but really, this is what you toss at me? Throw a curveball or something
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #49
Rhyder

Quote:
You're going to argue over the definition of the word 'satire', then?

Okey dokey. Look at your definition again, the one you provided:

"sat·ire
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
Noun
A play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire."

When you read that, you see "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize specific, real people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of...
A play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire"

Unfortunately, the context of the definition is not one that requires a specific, real person, as outlined in the very example you provided of the definition of the term. Examples of the "people" satirized are:

"reporters"
"policemen"

How am I proving your point, exactly? Another definition (with examples!)

" A text or performance that uses irony, derision, or wit to expose or attack human vice, foolishness, or stupidity. Verb: satirize. Adjective: satiric or satirical. One of the best known satirical works in English is Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1726). Contemporary vehicles for satire include The Colbert Report, South Park, and The Onion. "

Another definition:

"sat·ire [sat-ahyuhr] noun
1. the use of irony sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

I'm all for a nice argument, but really, this is what you toss at me? Throw a curveball or something
so your saying that it is making fun of police and reports because they all are stupid? Or that they are all uncaring?

If you make fun of the president not being able to talk, that's satire, if you make fun of the peace talks because they aren't really talking peace, that's satire......

If I make an article saying all teachers today decided that they will not use pencils because they dont like the kids making a point....that's not satire....Im not making fun of anything they actually did...its a completely made up story and world...someone or some group has to do something, of which you make fun of before its satire.......

What that article is is Fiction.....and not very funny Fiction
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #50
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
I'm not sure if you're serious b/c you just agreed with me. You can find satire to be in poor taste, that's your right. Having said that, no one has a right to not be offended by satire. It's not illegal, so I'm not sure why you felt a need to post what you posted.

Talk about missing the point. No one said you had no right to be offended, I posted that no one has a right to NEVER BE OFFENDED. Take offense all day at whatever you wish, I don't care. But to suggest that someone could never do anything that you find offensive is fascist act.

If you don't understand the difference between those two things you're beyond help.

What the hell.... are we really this dense today?

Seems to me you're the one who is dense. I AGREED with you. Geez Louise. Lighten up!

And I still find the "story" offensive.
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #51
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I got about 3 lines in, and thought "This has to be from The Onion".

Sure enough...it was.

Same here. Their "style" is pretty distinct.
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #52
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
so your saying that it is making fun of police and reports because they all are stupid? Or that they are all uncaring?

If you make fun of the president not being able to talk, that's satire, if you make fun of the peace talks because they aren't really talking peace, that's satire......

If I make an article saying all teachers today decided that they will not use pencils because they dont like the kids making a point....that's not satire....Im not making fun of anything they actually did...its a completely made up story and world...someone or some group has to do something, of which you make fun of before its satire.......

What that article is is Fiction.....and not very funny Fiction

Where do you get the "all" from? I can communicate with a fine level of articulation, keep your words out of my mouth please.

As I already stated, these people are being satirized on several levels. One of the levels is that they are men infatuated with a car to the point of forgetting about their jobs.

You don't understand what satire is. Nowhere is there a cosmic rule that dictates that satire cannot be a work of fiction. Where are you getting these requirements for the category of 'satire' from?

If from the definition you provided, re-read it please, using just the words that are there, nothing you toss in.

Here's an example of a fiction satirizing fiction:

The cartoon 'The Venture Brothers' uses satire based on the cartoon 'Jonny Quest'. The satire being for example that while the main adult lead in Jonny Quest is competent, caring, and ethical, Dr. Venture is a dismal greedy and unethical failure. Not merely is juxtaposition used to satirize, the entire premise is satirical.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #53
Rhyder

Quote:
Where do you get the "all" from? I can communicate with a fine level of articulation, keep your words out of my mouth please.

As I already stated, these people are being satirized on several levels. One of the levels is that they are men infatuated with a car to the point of forgetting about their jobs.

You don't understand what satire is. Nowhere is there a cosmic rule that dictates that satire cannot be a work of fiction. Where are you getting these requirements for the category of 'satire' from?

If from the definition you provided, re-read it please, using just the words that are there, nothing you toss in.

Here's an example of a fiction satirizing fiction:

The cartoon 'The Venture Brothers' uses satire based on the cartoon 'Jonny Quest'. The satire being for example that while the main adult lead in Jonny Quest is competent, caring, and ethical, Dr. Venture is a dismal greedy and unethical failure. Not merely is juxtaposition used to satirize, the entire premise is satirical.
I surrender, you win....whatever...its gone way past the point loss of interest......carry on with whatever....
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #54
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

That's being a sore loser, I didn't expect that from you. You wanted to debate the definition
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #55
Rhyder

Quote:
That's being a sore loser, I didn't expect that from you. You wanted to debate the definition
no I just dont think you are getting what Im saying, it seems we are comparing apples to oranges and insisting we both have pineapples....

my reply would of been that the Satire about Johnny Quest was in fact a Satire about something that was made, I'm not saying Satires cant be based of fiction or fictitious events, just that a Satire cant itself be a fictitious story......it has to be a satire about something that has happened......

there has to be some point to it to be a Satire, it has to be poking or bringing to light something......with the article not being pointed at or about anything, it cant be a Satire Piece.....

but I feel that we will just go round and round.....