Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
eco
eco179

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I parked my 2010 SS after minor mods when tehy announced the ZL1. It was going to cost as much to get my SS in the same performance range as the ZL1 yet the ZL1 has a full factory warranty. I sold the SS and took delivery of my ZL1 3-weeks ago and I am completely satisfied with my decision. I loved the SS but what I wanted to do to it was going to be costly. As for the Z28, I'm not concerned. The Z28 and the ZL1 have always been night and day apart. The 69-ZL1 was a factory bullet, which is where this new one originated. Suppose they make a Z28; do you really beleive that they would make a more expensive Camaro? Doubtful. I think we're at the maximum feasable amount with the ZL1. Yet for the money, there's no comparison to what I bought in my ZL for the same amount.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
thebatdude

Drives: 70 Chevelle big block
I don't have one yet, but my intention is to buy one. Before the ZL1 came out, I was going to buy an SS with an automatic (daily driver in traffic) and drive it until after the warranty then install some type of supercharger. I know that it has been done, but I was concerned about using the L99 with the variable timing and a supercharger. Also, I wasn't sure how much power could be added before I would need to upgrade other suspension/drive train parts.
With the ZL1, I will get 580 HP with a warranty, I don't have to wait to get my supercharger, and I have a feeling I would have spent nearly as much on the SS just over a longer course of time.
On the other hand, I am still a bit jealous of the SS folks that get to say 'I modded this and created my own unique performance vehicle.'
thebatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I'm thinking now about how much fun I had in my SS. It's official, I'm in the love the ZL1.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
I really feel the 1LE is the ultimate bargin for the best base to mod from. The only significant thing you are not getting with the 1LE is the MR suspension but has improvements in suspension over the SS. I've heard road track times between the 1LE and ZL1 are pretty close.

I've yet to drive a ZL1...I'm curious, but not in the market.
I kind of agree. In my mind a 1le with the right supercharger on it ~48k seems like it would be right in the mix performance wise.

I still think the day to day livability of the mag ride is nicer.

I think the ZL1 looks better than a 1LE though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I'm aware the 1LE doesn't have MRC-- thus, I'm wondering if it not having MRC is a dealbreaker, or if the price of the package with its' other options outweighs not having MRC.
Got it!
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
I really feel the 1LE is the ultimate bargin for the best base to mod from. The only significant thing you are not getting with the 1LE is the MR suspension but has improvements in suspension over the SS. I've heard road track times between the 1LE and ZL1 are pretty close.

I've yet to drive a ZL1...I'm curious, but not in the market.
Only one problem I see with this statement, and I know I'll get flamed for it... The LS3 power cylinder is not meant to be supercharged. I know a lot of people supercharge the L99 and LS3 but those power cylinders were designed to be NA. The ZL1 at least provide you with a power cylinder that was purpose designed for a supercharger.

The reality is you can't really go wrong any way. It's all a matter of what you want. There are plenty of odified SS's out there that will kick the crap out of a stock ZL1 and there will be plenty of modified 1LE's that do the same thing. It's just a matter of what you want and what your goals are vs your budget. You can't really make a wrong choice.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #35
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
I drive a 2010 SS/RS and an E92 M3. I'm trading the 2SS for the ZL1. I would like to compare the ZL1 to the M3. By far, I find the M3 the best car I have driven. It is such a well rounded vehicle. At home on the road or on the track. As cars that I have driven go, I prefer the M3 over a Corvette, Mustang, Audi, or a Porsche. I hope that the ZL1 can replace my M3. From what I read, I think it just may well do that.

Regards.

George
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #36
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
My ZL1 depression deepens. :( Lol.
I feel ya, sold my SS last November for the ZL1 better be good. I know it will be good though.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #37
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
If there is a Z28 it wont outperform the ZL1. It will be something like the Boss is to Ford. Gm has a car that competes at every level. ZL1-GT500 SS-GT z28-Boss
1LE would be the boss competition, the only real room for the z28 is above the price point of the zl1
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
My ZL1 depression deepens. :( Lol.
Sorry dude... just being honest... It's also been a long time since I've driven a stock SS...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

To me the Zl1 has a feeling all unto it's self. It handles like it's in the pavement grip wise and steering, but the bumps and lines you just float over like a cloud. I got the auto instead of the manual this time around. I have to tell you the auto is badazz, when it's in Sport mode you can stab the gas and it will just down shift and hold the gear until you decide what you want to do next. The exhaust note is amazing for a stock car. It acts some what tame, until you put your foot into it ... I also don't know if it's just me, but the seats feel much nicer than the SS or Lt with leather. The backs of the seats almost feel like they have gel in them, and you just kinda mold into them. Really hard to describe.

I do however find this car is much easier to drive like a normal person. I don't feel I need to push it all the time to enjoy the ride. Best money I've spent in a long time.

And I can't forget that new car smell for the third time in as many years ...

Thanks Team Camaro, you did an AWESOME job !!!
Now my ZL1 depression deepens

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #40
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
Dont forget that even if you mod a ss and get the same performance for close to the same money, When you sell that modded SS even if parted out wont be worth close to the same amount as the ZL1, in fact it would be like throwing away 15 k or more in the end .
I say that IF in 3 years both cars were sold , the moded SS wont get much extra for Mods and would of been better off selling the SS , while it was still hot and had a high resale value!

I think its a bad plan to try to save a few k by modding a SS , for your money the Zl1 is a way better investment than a Modded SS!!
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #41
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieSVT View Post
Dont forget that even if you mod a ss and get the same performance for close to the same money, When you sell that modded SS even if parted out wont be worth close to the same amount as the ZL1, in fact it would be like throwing away 15 k or more in the end .
I say that IF in 3 years both cars were sold , the moded SS wont get much extra for Mods and would of been better off selling the SS , while it was still hot and had a high resale value!

I think its a bad plan to try to save a few k by modding a SS , for your money the Zl1 is a way better investment than a Modded SS!!
Sound logic, but the reason most people go the SS route is dependent on their income and passion to build something to their liking at a rate they can afford.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
No comparison bro