Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
ZL1Memphis

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Dealer help

Please Help problem arose when I tried to bridge HD600/4 SKU above and am getting red and green fault at higher volume. I have ZL1 Camaro updated wiring 1/0 gauge including big 3 and never below 14.4V also tuned to 50Hz as recommended. Audio Control LC6I then EQX. Running 12W0 latest version showing 4.5 Ohm in cold state and 3.7 hot. The dealer where I bought amp said I am over stressing it running it bridged. Should I not be able to run this according to spec. even when it gets hot at 3.7 that is above the allowable 3ohm bridge capability correct. This is sub related but I also have HD900/5 for the fronts C5 and rears C2 6X9 with the sub channel unused.

I tried to get hd600/4 returned today but, the dealer told me if I ran in stereo mode which amp does not fault in that it would be the same power as bridged. Obviously, if I leave 2 channel open that would not stress the amp as much, but that doesn't seem correct to me. I should have bought half the amp if I can't bridge it. I really want to get 2-12W7 as you can tell I am trying to go all JL as this is my dream car. The 12W0 was really just a filler for my wife, but if they won't run bridged then the real deal 12w7s won't either unless they stay above 4ohms. If I am correct would I currently not get more out of just using the HD900 sub channel which is 500/1 vs the 2x150 from running stereo mode on the HD600 alone with two channels open as the dealer suggested.

I am not sure why this dealer would not shoot me straight. Not saying he is not correct just needed you to tell me before I tried to approach him for a return for the second time. I am tearing up my dream car trying to ground and reground my cables please help.
ZL1Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
I will review your essay tomorrow morning when I'm not fatigue and can think straight.
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

what are you using for your power supplies? The default battery?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Memphis View Post
The dealer where I bought amp said I am over stressing it running it bridged. Umm....what?

Should I not be able to run this according to spec. Yes.

I tried to get hd600/4 returned today but, the dealer told me if I ran in stereo mode which amp does not fault in that it would be the same power as bridged.
Again, Umm.....what? That is B.S. 150x2 does not = 300x2. I personally think you should go find another JL dealer and talk with them. They're just trying to avoid dealing with what sounds like a troublesome amp.
Answered above.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
ZL1Memphis

Guys thanks for replying. Yes I am using the stock battery, but have stinger 5 farad and replaced wiring. My first thought was ground or voltage issues, but check at the amp with meter while running at high volume never drops below 14.4V. I grounded in multiple places as well no luck. I contacted JL technical support will post what they say.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
ZL1Memphis

Have been working with JL Tech support since post. He said I should be able to set this up bridged with my current set up no problem. He said from what I tried troubleshooting I pretty much covered all the bases. He advised me to try another dealer here in Memphis to return the amp.

I just still can't believe I bought a expensive amp and wiring, and dealer told me to run in stereo mode instead of bridged. He stated it would be the same power as bridged what a joke.

Was planning on buying another hd900, hd600, and 2-12W7. Glad I didn't get these from previous dealer.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Quote:
Have been working with JL Tech support since post. He said I should be able to set this up bridged with my current set up no problem. He said from what I tried troubleshooting I pretty much covered all the bases. He advised me to try another dealer here in Memphis to return the amp.

I just still can't believe I bought a expensive amp and wiring, and dealer told me to run in stereo mode instead of bridged. He stated it would be the same power as bridged what a joke.

Was planning on buying another hd900, hd600, and 2-12W7. Glad I didn't get these from previous dealer.

I'm speculating on this one but, could the fuse have blown?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
I'm speculating on this one but, could the fuse have blown?
He said that it was running, but that it would shut down at high volume. That does not indicate a blown fuse. If a fuse was blown, the amp would not power up.

Quote:

The sad thing is that you only have to know how to be a salesman to be a dealer. I had a local Audison/Hertz/Phoenix Gold dealer tell me that the only reason companies make 2 ohm drivers is because they sound louder on a sound board..... and he has been "in the business" since the early 90's. Just because they are a dealer does not mean they know crap about car audio.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote