Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #477
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
6,000$ difference between the two cars, thats enough for some DR's, a tune, pulley, intake, you name it.

For the same money you can take the ZL1 and make it nearly as fast in a straight line. And it will still corner better, and look better of course
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #478
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Let me clarify something. Both cars are amazingly fast. I respect the Mustang, and -gasp- have even driven a few over my lifetime (though I've never owned). I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd ever buy one though. We all have our limits

That being said, both Chevy & Ford both improved the Camaro & Mustang across the board from the SS & previous GT500. But I believe I speak correctly when I say that the amount of improvements cost wise to each platform went more to the suspension, TPM, Magnetic Ride in the Chevy...whereas Ford put a large chunk of those dollars into making a VERY powerful motor. Most of the Ford improvements on suspension are relatively cheap compared to putting in MRS.

I do believe Fords focus was on producing the faster 1/4 mile time, and that Chevy's focus was on making an all around car with excellent handling on the track. Both cars are capable in what they didn't focus on. But each will excel in the areas that I believe the focused on.

This is all my opinion, of course...
Ford had to do something they have been losing sales to the Camaro since its rebirth. So what do you do with an aging chassis? Throw as much at it as you can. They knew it was not possible win the chassis battle (due to GM's new technology advantage) so they threw everything at the engine they could to try and out trump the new Camaro's top dog. And congrats to their new engine's capabilities. The real battle is when both are into their next gens, as they will have had the time and means to move very forward.
It will only get more interesting stay tuned!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #479
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Where I think that Chevy just hits it out of the park with the ZL1 is with how it implemented PTM & Magnetic Ride. I mean, I know I wasn't in the car at Nurburgring with a butt-meter going, but it was REALLY impressive in how it just totally didn't mind hitting the burms I've watched that video a bunch of times, and I know if I took corners like that in my SS, it would be damn squirrely in the corners as it hit and got off of them.

Though the Mustang's suspension is improved, I don't think it can come anywhere close to matching that control you get in that situation.

This translates to real-world driving conditions too...in that bumps and road imperfections in corners can cause some cars to get out of shape. Are we going to drive on the track like that? Well...you can say no-one will, but it's going to happen. The cops will nail you for it, but that's not going to stop quite a few people from trying to enjoy back roads. That added safety and control is what matters to me.

I plan on getting a ZL1 someday...I already miss my SS, and the Sonic I got will be my DD. It's a year or two off maybe....but there are health issues I'm dealing with in my family and myself that are a priority right now.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #480
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
What I find amusing about this whole thing is that when the ZL1 was announced, GM was saying this was a track car, with lots of extras like the oil cooler and other racing necessities for track racing included with the car (except the roll cage) and warranty.

So, a while later, the Mustang comes out with its specs and releases the horsepower figures. All the Ford people are claiming victory based just off that, scoffing at those that said that the Chevy would outhandle the Ford. More tests will come in, but I won't discount the head to head skidpad and slalom results. I still expect that the ZL1 will do quite well against the GT500 on a road track.

Now, most of the Ford people aren't even addressing the handling disparity, only talking about 1/4 mile times...which the ZL1 was never built for. The GT500 -is- built for the 1/4 mile though, with the LRA and better power to weight ratio.

To be fair on this, I think that the diehard Chevy people need to give Ford props for making an excellent 1/4 mile car...one that will beat the ZL1 stock for stock.

But 1/4 mile times do not make an all around good car...and I'm sure we'll see more of this over the next few months as they get tested head to head.
Here is a question for you to ponder: If the ZL1 was built for the road courses, then why are so many companies and people modding the ZL1 and running it at the strip? Ive seen countless 1/4 mile times, and ZERO information about the track. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm not trying to swing on Fords "n**s", but I keep seeing the same thing. This leads me to my next question: Why is the GT500 and the ZL1 even being compared? Two cars for two different events! Makes no sense to me.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #481
LeviG

Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Both are great cars! I'd still like to see a head-to-head race around a track like Leguna Seca or something like that, just to see who actually has the edge. Like the video says, the GT500 accelerates quicker, but the ZL1 handles better. Would be a very interesting race to say the least. I still gotta give it to the Camaro in the looks department though. Dont get me wrong, the Mustang is a REALLY good looking car, but the Camaro is just, I dunno, edgier, if that's a word...

Thumbs up to both in my book. Great competitors built by the Great Competitors.

LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #482
LeviG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastil View Post
Where in that article does it clearly "show" that the GT500 isn't capable on mountain roads? Where are the times? Where is the video proof? Where is there any evidence other than what they fed you? There's nothing.... nothing at all. The review does CLEARLY show that the zl1 is "less" capable at the strip... there are numbers to back that up..... Quite interesting that there is NO video of the cars on the "mountain roads", but tons of video of the zl1 being annihilated at the strip... what this tells me, using the C5 Nurburgring argument, is that it just didn't favour the zl1 to the extent it should have... You know how C5 Nurburgring argument goes right? It goes like this - Ford hasn't posted any times for the "ring" because it didn't beat the Zl1. Same thing here.... Time Slips, Video, etc... or it is BS.... And I`m callin`BS....
Oh Ford fans...

The "mountain roads" he's talking about are hypothetical I believe, coming from the guy in the video saying that the ZL1 is clearly the better handling car. I its better handling than the GT500, then its reasonable to say that it would be better on mountain roads than the GT500. Whereas the GT500 would probably annihilate the ZL1 on the street, which unfortunately for us Camaro fans, is where most of the comptition is going to be, Street races from light to light.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #483
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Good to know but no surprises here. Hey, just curious, does anyone still enjoy the Camaros that most of us drive? I'm having a "burn the title" party this weekend to celebrate no more payments. Its like getting a raise and my Camaro seems to be riding and performing better (kinda like it seems to do after a good wash and wax).
Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #484
LeviG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
So what they are saying on the down low is they had a contract for these tires......

BUT..... HINT HINT!!!!!..... Slap some Mickey Thompsons on it and the ZL1 does 11's all day......

Not to play Devil's advocate here but... slap some sticky Mickies on that GT500 and we're back to square one

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #485
LeviG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
Good to know but no surprises here. Hey, just curious, does anyone still enjoy the Camaros that most of us drive? I'm having a "burn the title" party this weekend to celebrate no more payments. Its like getting a raise and my Camaro seems to be riding and performing better (kinda like it seems to do after a good wash and wax).
LOL! I payed my car off and it turned into a POS!

P.S.: Note, my car is NOT a Camaro.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #486
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
Here is a question for you to ponder: If the ZL1 was built for the road courses, then why are so many companies and people modding the ZL1 and running it at the strip? Ive seen countless 1/4 mile times, and ZERO information about the track. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm not trying to swing on Fords "n**s", but I keep seeing the same thing. This leads me to my next question: Why is the GT500 and the ZL1 even being compared? Two cars for two different events! Makes no sense to me.
The Chevy engineers knew that customers were going to want to take it to the track and drag, hence, the testing with drag radials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpJunkie69 View Post
This!! Also if the ZL1 was built for auto cross and not the drag strip why in the world did GM spend all that money to engineer launch control on the car?? Why in that hollywood movie trailor they released was there a TON of footage of it at the DRAG STRIP?? Hmmm
Why ask why? It's great that they gave launch control... to have better launches. Even the GT500 was given launch control, because without it, it would just spin the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastil View Post
Where in that article does it clearly "show" that the GT500 isn't capable on mountain roads? Where are the times? Where is the video proof? Where is there any evidence other than what they fed you? There's nothing.... nothing at all. The review does CLEARLY show that the zl1 is "less" capable at the strip... there are numbers to back that up..... Quite interesting that there is NO video of the cars on the "mountain roads", but tons of video of the zl1 being annihilated at the strip... what this tells me, using the C5 Nurburgring argument, is that it just didn't favour the zl1 to the extent it should have... You know how C5 Nurburgring argument goes right? It goes like this - Ford hasn't posted any times for the "ring" because it didn't beat the Zl1. Same thing here.... Time Slips, Video, etc... or it is BS.... And I`m callin`BS....
More mag/video comparisons will determine that. We'll just have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG View Post
Both are great cars! I'd still like to see a head-to-head race around a track like Leguna Seca or something like that, just to see who actually has the edge. Like the video says, the GT500 accelerates quicker, but the ZL1 handles better. Would be a very interesting race to say the least. I still gotta give it to the Camaro in the looks department though. Dont get me wrong, the Mustang is a REALLY good looking car, but the Camaro is just, I dunno, edgier, if that's a word...

Thumbs up to both in my book. Great competitors built by the Great Competitors.
It'll happen...guarantee.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #487
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
The strip and dyno are a great measure of acceleration. And, many Camaro (and Mustang) owners mod there cars. Why not add horsepower?

As others have said in this thread, it's much easier to upgrade the ZL1's engine than it will be for the Mustang to match the handling.

And, yes...some people will drag race too. Corvettes do the 1/4 mile as well, but they are a sports car....why would they go to the drags?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #488
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
But it was said that the GT500 is a "drag car" so it makes a lot of sense to offer launch control on a drag car car.

It was also said that the ZL1 was NOT a "drag car". So i ask. If that is indeed the case why go to the lengths that GM did to ensure the car LAUNCHES well??
It's not like Launch Control is new technology or anything. It's already on the SS. Tuning launch control took a little time I'm sure, but why wouldn't they add it. It's not like they had to add 200 pounds to the car to program the computer to do it.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #489
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
The ZL1 Camaro really benefits to a great deal the knowledge that GM has built up developing cars like the ZR1 Corvette and CTS V. The PTM and magnetic shocks gives the Camaro a really solid parts bin to pick from, can you picture though what a Z28 Camaro might be like with the parts GM has.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #490
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
But it was said that the GT500 is a "drag car" so it makes a lot of sense to offer launch control on a drag car car.

It was also said that the ZL1 was NOT a "drag car". So i ask. If that is indeed the case why go to the lengths that GM did to ensure the car LAUNCHES well??
GM said this was going to be a car that people will take to the track and emphasized how the focus was how well the handling is going to be on road courses but knew that people will also take it to the straight line tracks. That's what makes this car an ALL-around performer, may not excel at it but still is capable of competing at either one.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500