Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Hurst, T-handle, Pistol Grip shifters for the Aisin 6M?

Did anyone who was at Indy see or hear of these accessories are also available for the LS/LT camaro with a manual? I'm mainly interested in the Hurst.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
There was info on Hurst products, I don't think they ever mentioned it was specific to V8. My guess would be there will be a Hurst with various handles for the Aisin trans.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
good question, i suspect yes, we need johnnycamaro to come on here and let us know.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
fierodeletre

Is the hurst that is offered a true short-throw accessory? Or is it simply a different expensive shift knob? I noticed that was one of the very few complaints motor trend had for the V6 camaro, that the shifter was just a hair sloppy in its action. I'll have to check the actual quote...
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
hurst is making the short throw kit, and you can order the car as a hurst optioned car
Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Sorry but I don't really know anything about shifters, and I tried looking but it was not very clear what these shifters actually do/improve. I would be getting the auto, but kinda wanted to upgrade the shifter and was wondering what each of these 3 do? Can they hurt mileage or anything bad like that, or are they merely cosmetic?
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
fierodeletre

With an auto, changing the shift handle will only make things look like you want them to. I personally think the auto's shift handle looks great.

For a manual, a short throw setup makes it so you are moving the actual shifter a shorter distance to each gear, the theory being that it will improve your shift time ever so slightly. Keep in mind that human-speed shifting and human-speed brain function are the only inherent weaknesses of a manual transmission. If you can do something mechanical to enhance this weakness, people will do it.

Also, Hurst has been putting shifters in pony cars for a long time. It's kind of a tradition. My 77 formula had a Hurst from the factory in it. It was a very fun car to drive, even if it was only rated at 135 hp.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
^Cool thanks! I was only going to change the shifter knob thing if it would be beneficial in terms of performance or effieciency or something. So I guess I will stick with the stock one which should allow me to get another option or two.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah. I've got a factory short-throw shifter in my ride. Although it was a standard option with my trim.

fierodeletre, explained it very well. A short-throw shifter basically does what it says. It shortens the "throw" from gear to gear, Essentially or theorectically shortening your shift times, and improving acceleration.

I know I'm definitely going to opt for it when I do look into getting a Camaro next summer seeing I'll be getting the Aisin 6-spd manual.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
JohnnyCamaro

Drives: 98 Camaro
Hurst Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
Did anyone who was at Indy see or hear of these accessories are also available for the LS/LT camaro with a manual? I'm mainly interested in the Hurst.
This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from GM Accessories and GM Performance Parts. The Hurst Short Throw Shifter is an option for both V6 and V8 at time of ordering. A shift knob is not in the portfolio as it is assumed people will either use the factory one or pick from the many aftermarket options.
Exhaust systems and Air Intakes are also available on V6 models. The Headers are for V8 only.
JohnnyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Is there any way you could get pics on here of the short throw shifter John? That would be great.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
JohnnyCamaro, can you give us part numbers for the following items for the V8, M6:

Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Shorty Headers
Performance Air Intake

I've tried to find them on your website, but had no luck. Any help you can give me would be great. I'm heading down to the dealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks again.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
JohnnyCamaro

Drives: 98 Camaro
Hurst Shifter Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
Is there any way you could get pics on here of the short throw shifter John? That would be great.
Sorry I cant reveal anything on these yet. I can tell you they will be at SEMA and you should know more about them then.
JohnnyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
ok thanks. I'll just add them to the order after SEMA

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote