Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
69Tom

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
cleaning during a Phoenix summer...

As I just recently purchased my Camaro, I haven't had to deal with this--i would just take my other cars to a car wash during the summer months. As I have no intention on doing this at all with my car, I find myself loathing washing my car. Not because I hate doing it--that's not the case at all. It's just because, no matter what time of morning or evening, the water just dries so quickly, it's so easily to water spot/stain it, especially the wheels.

So, my question is, what are those of you in Phoenix or Tucson doing to keep it clean? These monsoons are blowing around so much dust, it's really difficult, even with it garaged at night (it will soon be covered at work all day once the cover comes in). Sadly, I don't have enough garage space to pull it in once washed to dry it.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
SS One

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I live in Vegas so am in a similar situation. I wash my car every weekend....start at about 6:30 am. I have my hose connected to the water softener, so provided that the car and the water is cool, (as cool as it can be when its 90 degrees at 6:30 in the morning), I rarely have spotting issues. Usually finish up with detail spray just in case. I usually get done within two hours.

Last edited by SS One; 07-08-2013 at 07:31 PM.
SS One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
SmokiNstripes6913

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
Try to find an area that offers the most shade possible to wash it, finishing with a light, gentle stream to get the majority of the water off. Start drying the area that is receiving the most sun first as it will etch the water marks into the paint faster. Finish with the detailer spray if desirable.
SmokiNstripes6913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
As I just recently purchased my Camaro, I haven't had to deal with this--i would just take my other cars to a car wash during the summer months. As I have no intention on doing this at all with my car, I find myself loathing washing my car. Not because I hate doing it--that's not the case at all. It's just because, no matter what time of morning or evening, the water just dries so quickly, it's so easily to water spot/stain it, especially the wheels.

So, my question is, what are those of you in Phoenix or Tucson doing to keep it clean? These monsoons are blowing around so much dust, it's really difficult, even with it garaged at night (it will soon be covered at work all day once the cover comes in). Sadly, I don't have enough garage space to pull it in once washed to dry it.
Congratulations 69Tom!

How have you been enjoying it so far?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
69Tom

Thanks guys.

Thanks! I'm loving it. The handling, the power, the sound. It's all great. And it looks fantastic on top of it all.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I live in the SoCal desert and its brutally hot just like where you are. Try and wash it at night or early in the morning. That's what I do.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
69Tom

Yeah, I tried, but apparently 6:30am wasn't early enough. Haha. At least we never have to change wheels/tires or worry about rust, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself.... I might have to get up extra early--5:30 or so. So much for sleeping in on the weekends!! Oh well, there are worse problems to have....
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
If you're planning to stay in the same house for a long time, maybe think about the cost of a drain. It will be crazy expensive, but depending on how often you plan on washing your car and how long you plan on staying in your place, it may be worth considering. Heat will always be a problem unfortunately.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
69Tom

Yep, sure will. My family has been out here 24 years now. I've moved around a bit, but moved back home after 8 years in NYC as a family member is sick. So, I have a bunch of my stuff cluttering the garage (mainly from a restoration project that I'm seriously considering selling off now that I have my 1LE--if I had only known prior to how nice and fun it'd be to drive....). So I'm sort of hurting myself. I just need to start getting rid of things and free up some garage space. That way at least I could pull it out of any direct sun light, no matter how early in the the AM it is.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Yeah, I tried, but apparently 6:30am wasn't early enough. Haha. At least we never have to change wheels/tires or worry about rust, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself.... I might have to get up extra early--5:30 or so. So much for sleeping in on the weekends!! Oh well, there are worse problems to have....
Ya lol last weekend before a car show I was up at 5 am cleaning my car before sun rise.