Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
ddck24

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Just imagine of you had a water/meth mix.
I don't like the idea of throwing water on the fire I'm trying to burn! Lol
More fuel, plenty cooling, high octane, more timing... Alky control 100% ftw!!
ddck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddck24 View Post
I don't like the idea of throwing water on the fire I'm trying to burn! Lol
More fuel, plenty cooling, high octane, more timing... Alky control 100% ftw!!
Then you do not understand how a meth water system works or a breaking balls! The water evaporates becoming vapor. You aren't putting out any fires.

Water absorbs almost twice as much heat as methanol in the intake and inside the combustion chamber. Water cannot be flash-ignited, so has what is almost an infinite octane number. In the government studies for WWII piston-powered aircraft, 50/50 water-methanol was found to be the best fluid to use for auxiliary fluid injection.

It's a fact that water cools better than pure meth.

Again, everyone has their own opinions on what works and why but science is science.

You guys using it should do a few pulls on the dyno using both methods.

I ditched the meth and run race gas with an ice to water setup to control temps so unless I'm looking to steam clean my engine I have no use for methanol injection.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #31
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Many water injection systems use a mixture of water and alcohol (often close to 50/50), with trace amounts of water-soluble oil. The water provides the primary cooling effect due to its great density and high heat absorption properties. The alcohol is combustible, and also serves as an antifreeze for the water. The main purpose of the oil is to prevent corrosion of water injection and fuel system components;[2] it may also assist in engine lubrication when running in a high power state.[citation needed] Because the alcohol mixed into the injection solution is often methanol (CH3OH), the system is known as methanol-water injection, or MW50. In high performance automotive applications these methanol-water mixtures are often erroneously referred to simply as "methanol injection". In the United States, the system is also commonly referred to as anti-detonant injection, or ADI.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

In a piston engine, the initial injection of water cools the fuel-air mixture significantly which increases its density and hence the amount of mixture that enters the cylinder. The water (if in small liquid droplets) may absorb heat (and lower the pressure) as the charge is compressed, thus reducing compression work.[1] An additional effect comes later during combustion when the water absorbs large amounts of heat as it vaporizes, reducing peak temperature and resultant NOx formation, and reducing the amount of heat energy absorbed into the cylinder walls. This also converts part of combustion energy from the form of heat to the form of pressure. As the water droplets vaporize by absorbing heat, they turn to high pressure steam. The alcohol in the mixture burns, but is also much more resistant to detonation than gasoline. The net result is a higher octane charge that will support very high compression ratios or significant forced induction pressures before onset of detonation.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
No_Traction_B

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS D1SC
So needless to say it seems that for a stock bottom end motor looking for safety and some power 50/50 is the best way to go?
No_Traction_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Traction_B View Post
So needless to say it seems that for a stock bottom end motor looking for safety and some power 50/50 is the best way to go?
I would say yes.

You ask ten other guys and you'll get 10 different answers.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
No_Traction_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I would say yes.

You ask ten other guys and you'll get 10 different answers.
Well thank you very much for your opinion.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Traction_B View Post
Well thank you very much for your opinion.
What system did you go with? Trunk mount?
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #37
No_Traction_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by avellanet.jr View Post
What system did you go with? Trunk mount?
AIS trunk mount stage 1
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #38
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Dual nozzle Alky Control kit running 100% meth and nothing else. Makes great power and dropped iat's to 26* at its coolest.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #39
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Meth itself will actually cool better than water. Evaporation is what pulls the heat away from something. Meth will evaporate faster than water, therefore cool faster and to a lower temp. You ever touch meth or alcohol.....cool to the touch because it evaporating. The advantage of water isn't so much cooling the IATs as it is knock resistance because water doesn't ignite/detonate. So it will increase knock resistance. Many in the racing world go either or. Straight meth won't have the knock resistance of water but water ofcourse puts out fires. Soooo with water you'll usually need more timing, leaner condition, and tighter gap on your spark plugs all to make sure the car performs optimally. But back to the temp thing, I saw Detoxx dyno with 26° IAT on an 80° day with straight meth, so it definitely cools. Oh and of course 50/50 isn't flammable a definite advantage to something being kept in a plastic container in a road car.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #40
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Like I said..... 10 different opinions.

Neither are 100% wrong nor right.

If you trust your tuner, and you should, go with his reccomendation. It'll be more sound than a bunch of keyboard mechanics. I don't think any of us have a phd in chemistry.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #41
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
I read every internet article i could find and still couldnt come up with a definitive answer so i went 75/25 meth/water.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #42
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Jamie...I understand you have a lot of experience...but I know meth kits pretty darn well, and julio is right...100% meth is what you want. M1 to be specific, uncut. It will allow for more consistant tuning, nice cool burn, plus added fuel. Folks cut it 50/50 cheaping out, making it harder on themselves, or so they can run washer fluid...lol...pick one.
I ran A LOT through my GN with one of Julio's kits. I was running 30psi on 93 octane with it.

One of THE best places to read about meth and tuning with it is www.turbobuick.com. Julio is a moderator on the alky section of the forum. At least read tuning archives for AFR and what not.