Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #57
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjon9657 View Post
i don't know if anyone else has had experience from time to time depending on what type of bump it is; my front suspension makes a popping sound, almost sounds like the struts. any suggestions on what it might be?
------

Ive experienced this poppin' front suspension noise in cold weather conditions, if you noticed, it goes away in warm conditions or after long driving. When the top strut mounts are cold, the elements are hard, which causes this phenomenon. You may also find the mounts leaking or cracked.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #58
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
So by getting rid of the the 2010 and getting the 2011 solved the problem, it tells you then that their is a problem with the 2010 and for GM not acknowledge there was a problem going on to change the strut assembly on the 2011 really proves they screwed up in the 2010 design and now we are stuck with this until we dump the car.
Please post the part numbers that are different for the front strut on the 10 and 11.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #59
JusticePete

He traded car with a noise for a car without a noise with the same parts. Did he get rid of his noise, yes.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #60
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
So you are telling me that the strut assembly wasn't to blame for the noise he had.Didn't GM change tower structure, it looks different
There is NO change to the strut assembly or the area that the strut assembly mounts to. Order a strut mount for a 2010, 2011. 2012 or 2013 5th Gen and you get the same strut mount assembly. It is the same mount they use at Buick.

The ONLY change that was made to the strut assembly was to move from a rubber upper coil insulator to a urethane upper coil insulator. When we install Xa coilovers, we through those in the stack of spare parts with NO noise.

It isn't the parts. It is loose nuts and bolts or a wron or broken part. A properly functioning front Camaro does not make noise other than a hydraulic flutter. What you see in this thread are a wide range of cars. Some stock and some modified. Bring me 10 5th Gens with this noise on the same day and a group of interested people. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #61
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
I think I captured the clunk. Listen to the car as stops at the beginning of the video. I still get it at random times. I don't hear it anymore, I just am used to it and so it doesn't bother me that much. Now wife's latest desire to hit cones...that is something Pedders actually made worse.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #62
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
I think I captured the clunk. Listen to the car as stops at the beginning of the video. I still get it at random times. I don't hear it anymore, I just am used to it and so it doesn't bother me that much. Now wife's latest desire to hit cones...that is something Pedders actually made worse.

I know that noise was not in your car when we took your test drive. It is hands down the worst noise I have heard to date. I am thinking it could be an engine mount. Worse it could be a loose caliper. Your engine won't fall out, but I have seen what happens when a caliper comes off. Until you check the caliper bolts don't drive it. Please bring your car into Heath's. We'll do a complete inspection for safe and secure and then put the chassis ears on it and track it down. That sound is not the clunk or pop that people are talking about in this thread. It is loud and a clear indicator that something is wrong. Be CAREFUL and give me a call so we can get you in to Heath's a.s.a.p.

O 248.522.8021
M 616.834.8100

We will not charge you for anything but GM parts if they are required.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #63
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Found out from my dealership that GM made as to date 3 revisions of the strut mount so far if this helps. My personal belief is that this popping sound originates from within the 2010s and early 2011s strut mounts making it hard to distinguish where the noise came from. Try going to the parts dept. give the parts guy a vin of say a 2012 SS and get the strut mount for that 2012 application and maybe this would fix the problem.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #64
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I know that noise was not in your car when we took your test drive. It is hands down the worst noise I have heard to date. I am thinking it could be an engine mount. Worse it could be a loose caliper. Your engine won't fall out, but I have seen what happens when a caliper comes off. Until you check the caliper bolts don't drive it. Please bring your car into Heath's. We'll do a complete inspection for safe and secure and then put the chassis ears on it and track it down. That sound is not the clunk or pop that people are talking about in this thread. It is loud and a clear indicator that something is wrong. Be CAREFUL and give me a call so we can get you in to Heath's a.s.a.p.

O 248.522.8021
M 616.834.8100

We will not charge you for anything but GM parts if they are required.
Hmmm. So now I am worried. My morning has just taken a dramatic turn.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #65
JusticePete

Quote:
Hmmm. So now I am worried. My morning has just taken a dramatic turn.
I am headed over to the shop.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #66
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Well what we have discovered...is Das Peach House makes a full tray of cobbler even in the middle of the week.

Thanks to Pete for making the drive down to investigate my Bigfoot-like noise (heard only on a blurry video but no sign of it in person). We tightened, checked, re-checked and drove around but nothing seems to have surfaced. What I thought was the noise everyone is reporting in this thread turns out to be much more but much more elusive as to what it is. One thing was proven, customer service from Pedders was to me, epic.

Thanks again to Heath and Pete.

As soon as it squeaks funny again, I will let you know. Two days of autocross this weekend may produce something.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #67
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I think you will be all set.
I'm sorry for not posting sooner.

I talked to Pete after he had worked on your car, and i'm 90% sure that he fixed it.

Tell me if what i describe sounds like the noise that your hearing,
Makes the noise when braking, but only once,
Makes the noise when braking in reverse, or when first put in reverse, but only once.
Makes the noise when you hit a pothole or something, but not over larger less shocking bumps.
doesn't make the noise when turning the wheels after the noise has happen.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@PeddersUSA.com View Post
I think you will be all set.
I'm sorry for not posting sooner.

I talked to Pete after he had worked on your car, and i'm 90% sure that he fixed it.

Tell me if what i describe sounds like the noise that your hearing,
Makes the noise when braking, but only once,
Makes the noise when braking in reverse, or when first put in reverse, but only once.
Makes the noise when you hit a pothole or something, but not over larger less shocking bumps.
doesn't make the noise when turning the wheels after the noise has happen.
Pretty accurate. The noise is very random. Not able to produce it if we try.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #69
JusticePete

Quote:
Well what we have discovered...is Das Peach House makes a full tray of cobbler even in the middle of the week.

Thanks to Pete for making the drive down to investigate my Bigfoot-like noise (heard only on a blurry video but no sign of it in person). We tightened, checked, re-checked and drove around but nothing seems to have surfaced. What I thought was the noise everyone is reporting in this thread turns out to be much more but much more elusive as to what it is. One thing was proven, customer service from Pedders was to me, epic.

Thanks again to Heath and Pete.

As soon as it squeaks funny again, I will let you know. Two days of autocross this weekend may produce something.
And cobbler it is!

What we found is not all that unusual in a part time track / part time daily driver Camaro or any car for that matter -- nuts that looked tight that were not tight.

Our new sway bars come with fixed lateral locks as opposed to our earlier bar that used clamp on lateral locks. We had revised the mounting procedure for those and added a spacer. We could find no trace marks of contact, but as long as we had the car, why not.

In the front of the 5th Gen there are three ball studs bolted to the knuckle on each side. On the driver's side the LCA ball stud took 3.5 turns. Out of the six total between both side 5 of the 6 took one full turn. Only the radius arms had been touched sine the car left the assembly line. One did not move the other took a turn.

Radius bush bolts were both pretty tight, but we still got a half turn on each.

Synergy SATX has Pedders OE Quiet High Efficiency Endlinks. One jam nut was loose. One ball stud nut took three turns.

The brake caliper bolts and transmission mount bolts were all tight.

As far as we know, the engine mounts have not been touched since they left the factory. Using a 3/8 drive ratchet the upper and lower engine mount bolts took 1 to 2 turns. The same was true of the engine mount bolts to the engine.

In the rear, the differential had been replaced under warranty. The front two bolts were tight the rear bolt took a little more than a turn.

On the top side, we removed the strut retaining nut and the retaining plate to access the jam nut. We put one turn on each.

Have we fixed the loud clunk that is unmistakeable on the GoPro video? We are not sure. We could not produce the noise before or after the inspection. Time will tell.

This is a great opportunity to remind everyone that drags, auto crosses or road courses their 5th Gen to check your nuts before you go on track. In your suspension and driveline nuts and bolts vibrate and work can work loose. The best practice is to check them before and after every event.

We'll check Synergy SATX's Camaro any time he wants as long as he bring the peach cobbler
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #70
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I've had a few G8's that had the same type of noise, some of them were very consistent, while the others were only every now and then.

On each of them we found the lower ball joint on the radius arm to be either bad or not tightened enough.

On the cars that the ball joint was not tight enough it would make the noise every now and then, but typically followed my post above. Once tightened the cars typically did not make the noise again.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to check your car out,
The cars that
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote