Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Joseph92

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
GM Protectiom Plan?

I am thinking about purchasing the GM Protection Plan.

Any thoughts?
Joseph92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
MrFrost

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
What is that? Like an extended warranty?
How much is it?
What do they cover?
Interested myself because warranty will run out soon.
Thanks!
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Joseph92

Well there are different level types for the plan. But it is supposed to cover the things that are not covered by the power train warranty. For example like if the AC stops working and stuff. But does not cover things that are meant to wear out like your serpentine belt or air filters and things like that.

My warranty will expire in about 3 weeks and I am just worried about having electrical problems and any other things that could happen.

I have plans to mod my car to get 600+ HP. And I know that some of my warranty could be affected if the issue was caused by the mods. But my concerns are things that won't have deal with mods.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Waste of money, bought it, haven't used it once and after reading what it actually covers and the comparing the cost to fix those items if they did happen to fail it's like throwing money down the drain especially if your going to mod the car.

I don't know how many miles you have, but being a 2011, I would think if something had a defect it would have shown up by now especially with the electrical or powertrain components.

My recommendation, just put the money you would spend on the coverage in an account and don't touch it for anything but repairs, this way you can cover repairs IF THEY ARISE and not have to worry if the coverage you purchased is going to cover it or not. These guys have studied the market and there not about to lose money so it should be pretty obvious that repairs hardly occur during the coverage period.

Sorry for the rant, but this was my first new personal vehicle and I got suckered into the additional coverage, looking back I had never purchased coverage on any of our fleet vehicles and never had the option on all the used vehicles I purchased, but I never had any major repairs (over $1,000) on any vehicles under 200,000 miles much less if they were under the 100,000 miles that I believe they cover.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac

Last edited by K1SSRSS; 02-19-2014 at 02:23 PM.
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
MrFrost

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
So I know that most mods/tunes will void a warranty according to GM.
But say you mod and tune it then go buy an extended warranty afterwards, is it good then?
And not just GM, I have got about 12 letters from different companies offering me some kind of extended warranty, wonder if it would cover a modified ride?
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrost View Post
So I know that most mods/tunes will void a warranty according to GM.
But say you mod and tune it then go buy an extended warranty afterwards, is it good then?
And not just GM, I have got about 12 letters from different companies offering me some kind of extended warranty, wonder if it would cover a modified ride?
I think they are all a waste of money and almost borderline scam from what I have researched.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
think GM would offer it if they lost money on it?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Joseph92

Well the issues I have are various things acting up but either they can't be reproduced at the dealer or have not been able to find the problem or fix.

I am in college and almost every break I had the car has been in the shop.

I had these items replaced:
AC compressor
2 AC blower motors
Some boot in the steering column
The whole exhaust from the cats to the rear
Window regulator
Power streering pump
One of the horns

There are other things related to trim work but nothing big.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
fsrtwo

Drives: 2013 1Lt Conv, Blue
Google GMPP. You will be surprised how many online GM dealers will sell you the warranty much cheaper.
fsrtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
If you decide to get it (I did), definitely look online. I saved a bunch of money. I haven't needed it yet, but it was worth it to me, since I have a 2010 and was a little concerned about getting a first-year model.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Joseph92

What did you end up paying if you do mind me asking.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I have it on mine. The plan I purchased basically extends the bumper to bumper warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles (I believe those are the numbers). It covers everything except items that wear out (same as the standard warranty).

In any case, many people get it and don't need it. I had an extended warranty (not as comprehensive) on the 2005 Silverado I traded in, and it paid for itself over the life of the warranty and I didn't have any major problems to resolve.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
I got something similar, but will be canceling it for a refund...no way I will wait that long to mod beyond bolt-ons
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Waste of money, bought it, haven't used it once and after reading what it actually covers and the comparing the cost to fix those items if they did happen to fail it's like throwing money down the drain especially if your going to mod the car.

I don't know how many miles you have, but being a 2011, I would think if something had a defect it would have shown up by now especially with the electrical or powertrain components.

My recommendation, just put the money you would spend on the coverage in an account and don't touch it for anything but repairs, this way you can cover repairs IF THEY ARISE and not have to worry if the coverage you purchased is going to cover it or not. These guys have studied the market and there not about to lose money so it should be pretty obvious that repairs hardly occur during the coverage period.

Sorry for the rant, but this was my first new personal vehicle and I got suckered into the additional coverage, looking back I had never purchased coverage on any of our fleet vehicles and never had the option on all the used vehicles I purchased, but I never had any major repairs (over $1,000) on any vehicles under 200,000 miles much less if they were under the 100,000 miles that I believe they cover.

depends on whether or not the car has issues..

typically you can purchase the plan up to the end of the 3/36, I have always waited until the end of at least 2 - 2.5 years and then decide if it is needed. If the car is going to be a problem child you will know by then.

I won't buy it when I buy the vehicle because they wrap it into the financing and you get charged interest on that additional $2,000 - $3,000 where if you wait and buy it later it is usually a 1 year interest free loan.

Tags
gm protection plan, issues, problems, warranty