Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
Chevy should build the code 130r!

Now knowing that the mustang will have a 4 cylinder option, Chevy should create a brand new car with a turbo 4 as the only option in the car. The car should seat 2 and be marketed as a mini corvette. The camaro would be marketed towards a different crowd. Options would include a slip differential, recaro seats, and magnetic ride fully loaded at 30k. The next gen camaro should start around 25k. This car should start around 22k. Just make the styling not like the concept. Like Mark Reuss said the styling is dated.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Or they could just put a turbo 4 in the Camaro and make a play for both crowds with the same platform, rather than spend many millions of dollars to develop a whole new vehicle just to compete with one Mustang variant.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Cyanogenmod using Tapatalk.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
130r would be a brz/frs/(potential) 240sx competitor if it would be made.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Lazerbrainz2k3

With the return of a G8-like platform in the SS, I do think it'd be nice to see the return of another defunct Pontiac product with new Chevrolet badging, and with the two seats you mentioned: the Solstice, of course. It can even possibly be based on something similar to the 130R (though smaller is better). But it should be there to compete with the Miata, 370Z, even the BRZ/FR-S twins, not the Mustang.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Lazerbrainz2k3

In that case you're leaving a big gaping hole in the Mustang/Camaro competition. Not a good idea, in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Or they could just put a turbo 4 in the Camaro and make a play for both crowds with the same platform, rather than spend many millions of dollars to develop a whole new vehicle just to compete with one Mustang variant.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Cyanogenmod using Tapatalk.
I agree. Let the public decide.

I think people would be surprised how many turbo 4 Camaros could be sold
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The problem with making a 4 cylinder Camaro is that it is inherently a compromise. And a compromise is just another way of saying that nobody gets what they want. If you want something small, and light, and RWD then a 6th gen Camaro probably won't be the car for you. Neither will a Mustang. Instead, these people will be looking at something like the FRS. I think that market is far bigger than any potential market for 4 cylinder pony cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
In that case you're leaving a big gaping hole in the Mustang/Camaro competition. Not a good idea, in my opinion.
And following Ford for the sake of following Ford is somehow a better idea?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
Do people see the camaro as a mini corvette? I don't see it that way. So I just thought GM could introduce a lite corvette. If GM allowed the SS to come into production why not a car like I described.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
I think people would be surprised how many turbo 4 Camaros could be sold
Only if they price it as the base model.

If they do what Ford is doing, don't expect to sale that many. Ford is placing it as a premium engine which is a mistake imo. Their turbo 4 makes less hp and trq than the v6, gets the same mpg as the v6, but yet cost more than the v6 and almost the same as the v8. This makes no sense to me at all.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

If they do what Ford is doing, don't expect to sale that many. Ford is placing it as a premium engine which is a mistake imo. Their turbo 4 makes less hp and trq than the v6, gets the same mpg as the v6, but yet cost more than the v6 and almost the same as the v8. This makes no sense to me at all.
It might make less power than the V6, but it will definitely be making more torque. And while it will be more expensive than the V6, but I don't know if it will be approaching the V8. There is quite a bit of space between a base V6 and a GT -over 8k at the moment. I'm thinking the price premium might be between 1 and 2 grand
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I think if Chevy/GM did their homework, they could steal some sales away from the compact sports category. I think they should go forward with Code 130r.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Mr_Draco the official power numbers haven't come out on the 2.3L Ecoboost yet, but it is suppose to be more powerful than the V6 (and more turner friendly)
Quote:
The base engine will be the 3.7-liter V6 from today's Mustang, apparently with a few tweaks, given that Ford's projections of 300 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque are each a bit lower than the same engine in the current car.

Slotting between the V6 and the V8 is the most significant development in the world of Mustang outside of the independent rear suspension: a turbocharged, direct-injected EcoBoost 2.3-liter four-cylinder. Its major hook? V6-trumping power and "significantly better" efficiency.

The official line today is that the EcoBoost 2.3 will develop more than 305 hp at 5,500 rpm and in excess of 300 lb-ft of torque between 2,500 and 4,500 rpm on 87 octane, though our sources indicate the peak output will land in the neighborhood of 330 hp. It's an undersquare layout (3.5-inch bore and 3.7-inch stroke) with 9.5:1 compression ratio and a twin-scroll Honeywell turbo that bolts directly to the head, sans traditional exhaust manifold (the exhaust runners are integrated and paired directly in the head casting itself).

We're told that the new car's weight distribution is slightly less nose-heavy, especially with the lighter EcoBoost four-cylinder up front. All three engines will be available with a new Getrag six-speed manual gearbox or a paddle-shiftable six-speed automatic complete with rev-matched downshifts. The manual box's new internals are said to provide smoother shifts, while the automatic has less parasitic loss and the ability to handle more torque than the outgoing one.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
I think if Chevy/GM did their homework, they could steal some sales away from the compact sports category. I think they should go forward with Code 130r.
Yeah that's true. Since it seems like Chevy is really not going to do a Cruze SS this time around.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
I don't think the Camaro is the route to go to capture the teenybopper tuner crowd. a two-seater would be a better option imo.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote