Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #85
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I test drove a '16 Challenger Scat Pack today (auto). They were heavily discounting the '16s. Long story short: fantastic engine, torque/power, and sound. But the car just felt too darn big. Like a bionic elephant. I actually was happy getting back into my Jetta and its size.

Last week I test drove a new Mustang GT (auto). Felt much much more nimble than the Challenger. Sounded way too muted and the low end torque was nothing like the Challenger. Also I the cloth seats in the Mustang fit me weird. I passed on it b/c it didn't have the "Wow" power.

Last up I'm going to drive a 1SS Camaro. Going to drive auto and manual. Not sure which one I prefer. If clutch is light, possibly the manual. I run a lot of miles, which is why I may prefer the auto.....give my left leg a rest! LOL.

Not finding huge discounts on '17s though. 16s all gone here. Edmunds price promise has some dealers offering about $1600 off MSRP for the 1SS optioned the way I want.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #86
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I test drove a '16 Challenger Scat Pack today (auto). They were heavily discounting the '16s. Long story short: fantastic engine, torque/power, and sound. But the car just felt too darn big. Like a bionic elephant. I actually was happy getting back into my Jetta and its size.

Last week I test drove a new Mustang GT (auto). Felt much much more nimble than the Challenger. Sounded way too muted and the low end torque was nothing like the Challenger. Also I the cloth seats in the Mustang fit me weird. I passed on it b/c it didn't have the "Wow" power.

Last up I'm going to drive a 1SS Camaro. Going to drive auto and manual. Not sure which one I prefer. If clutch is light, possibly the manual. I run a lot of miles, which is why I may prefer the auto.....give my left leg a rest! LOL.

Not finding huge discounts on '17s though. 16s all gone here. Edmunds price promise has some dealers offering about $1600 off MSRP for the 1SS optioned the way I want.
My guess is that you will find that the Camaro offers the better sports car experience. With NPP it will sounds great, it will handle better than the other two you drove, the LT1 has torque all throughout the rev range. You will find the Tremec manual is a stout transmission and it has rev match to boot. Much better than the mustangs MT82 manual trans. If you go with the auto you get a quick shifting 8-speed that just rips through the gears. If you value the latest suspension tech you can get Mag ride. You basically have a Cadillac ATS with a Corvette engine and rev matching manual. The Camaro is the better car here without question it is just up to you to decide if you like the interior and exterior look as well as overall driving experience. IMO, the reliability of Chevy while not on par with a Lexus, is still much better than Dodge or Ford.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #87
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCSRT View Post
For me the biggest knocks are the paint and visibility. I can let the visibility go, but as I have said in other threads, I was going to take delivery of a Jet Black Camaro, however they would not fix the apparent paint issues unless I signed the contract. As someone that has done paint work, I'm not falling for the banana in the tailpipe.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design, but when you look around with what else you can DD for the money, unless you've always wanted an SS Camaro there are better options. I will use the Fiata as an example, if Fiat, wasn't such a pile of garbage, the new Fiata would have fit the bill better for daily fun more so than the new 4Cyl Camaro, its trunk actually holds a golf bag, but its stuck with a dealer network that is vanishing, and no way in hell am I buying the other variant, ie Miata.
I am curious about what GM is doing in LGR for painting Camaros. You are just one of many that have serious concerns over the paint. I don't know if GM uses the same paint shop as they do for the ATS/CTS, but my going in thought was part of the reason a Camaro was more expensive was it was also getting a Cadillac quality paint job. Mrs. Number 3 is on her second ATS and both have had wonderful paint jobs. Not sure if GM is cheaping out on the Camaro somehow, but I can't imagine they have two paint shops. Should be the same robots and ovens. Maybe just less paint??? If they have the same oven, it should be the same time and temp which is critical for a high quality paint job. I have heard of some European automakers that have two ovens (they actually divide the assembly line in two) so the cars can go slower at lower temps resulting in higher quality paint jobs. That is very expensive though. Typical here is high speed and high temps.

Last edited by Number 3; 12-04-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #88
Vidgamer

Drives: VW Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Here's the thing I believe the camaro should be selling wayyyyy more! Its not and its given up its lead in overall sales numbers. Multiple reasons including gen 6..what really bothers me is this gen doesn't make me buy it, a hard core camaro fanatic. Obviously I'm not alone. Gm needs fix this issue which to me is interior seating size, trunk size and improved pricing..viz is hard to explain to non camaro fans as most of my family kids etc hate riding in them simply because they can't see the outside as we drive. I don't care what complaints they have but many people care what their family says hahaha. Anyway getting spanked by ford makes it a lot worst..end rant
I can deal with the visibility, but some cannot. (Was at a car show, and another lady looking at the Camaro at the same time we were said just that.) But I think with options, the Camaro gets quite expensive, and with a really tight, barely usable backseat, and oddly narrow trunk. I know, sports cars aren't supposed to be practical, but surely they can come up with something. Then again, performance-wise, as y'all say, it's the best yet, so there's always that. And the styling is great. There are good reasons to by the car, but there are reasons to not do so.
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #89
VCSRT

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I am curious about what GM is doing in LGR for painting Camaros. You are just one of many that have serious concerns over the paint. I don't know if GM uses the same paint shop as they do for the ATS/CTS, but my going in thought was part of the reason a Camaro was more expensive was it was also getting a Cadillac quality paint job. Mrs. Number 3 is on her second ATS and both have had wonderful paint jobs. Not sure if GM is cheaping out on the Camaro somehow, but I can't imagine they have two paint shops. Should be the same robots and ovens. Maybe just less paint??? If they have the same oven, it should be the same time and temp which is critical for a high quality paint job. I have heard of some European automakers that have two ovens (they actually divide the assembly line in two) so the cars can go slower at lower temps resulting in higher quality paint jobs. That is very expensive though. Typical here is high speed and high temps.
I don't remember the username, but I believe there is someone that works for GM on the board that said something about there is a paint program and it took some time to get the kinks out, yet they're still being painted pretty bad and lacking QC.
VCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #90
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
I Think everyone forgets that a few states with Louisiana in particular had lost over 200k vehichles and people got there insuarance money in and right oround the months Camaro pulled away in sales was because everyone gotten a new Camaro because they were suddenly in market for a new vehichle and had no need to buy before but now they had open garage and money to do so, this is what even created me the opportunity to buy it in September 14th when I hadn't planed to do so until mid 2017, since I bought mine and the flood happened here, there are a ton of Camaros rolling around baton rouge la and other parts. sad to say but these places that had the tragedies is what helped gm big time those couple months Camaro out sold mustang, and I had nothing but mustangs, 98 gt, 13 v6, 13 gt premium, 65 coupe, 66 coupe gt replica that just got flooded. But as a Marine Corps Vette honestly I feel the less they sale the more rare my car is and the more attention itll get. All ups for me!
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #91
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
My guess is that you will find that the Camaro offers the better sports car experience. With NPP it will sounds great, it will handle better than the other two you drove
Oh yes. You guessed right.

Test drove a 1SS manual last night. Had NPP and MRC. EASILY....the best out of the 3 I've driven recently (Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack).

It was basically a Holy Sh!t!!! experience. LOL. SS was nimble and willing and the power/shifter was awesome. Sound was oh so good too!
Negatives-
-1-4 skip shift is ridiculous/annoying but easy/cheap fix.
-Cabin or should I say cockpit...it's not very roomy. Visibility kind of sucked but felt no worse than the Challenger really.

Dealer was giving me %7.75% discount which to me wasn't enough. And to be quite honest, I may just pass on the car altogether. Mainly b/c I don't know what I would do with all that power on the street and freeway. If there were no speed limits, I'd be all over it. But I'd be speeding like crazy I'm afraid and it's too easy to go insane speeds in this car. Driving it sanely...well don't think that's very realistic for me or fun. Although the sound is good at any speed. I don't think I could go V6 on this car after driving the SS.

Anyway, that's my take. Even if I don't buy one right now....to me I was incredibly impressed. The gen 6 SS is the real deal.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #92
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Hmmmm....still too expensive.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #93
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
That's an easily solved "problem". Just aquire/have more money.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #94
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
That's an easily solved "problem". Just aquire/have more money.
It's not so much a problem for me. I'm paying the extra money for the track prowess. I think I'm a very very small minority of car buyers though.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #95
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Oh yes. You guessed right.

Test drove a 1SS manual last night. Had NPP and MRC. EASILY....the best out of the 3 I've driven recently (Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack).

It was basically a Holy Sh!t!!! experience. LOL. SS was nimble and willing and the power/shifter was awesome. Sound was oh so good too!
Negatives-
-1-4 skip shift is ridiculous/annoying but easy/cheap fix.
-Cabin or should I say cockpit...it's not very roomy. Visibility kind of sucked but felt no worse than the Challenger really.

Dealer was giving me %7.75% discount which to me wasn't enough. And to be quite honest, I may just pass on the car altogether. Mainly b/c I don't know what I would do with all that power on the street and freeway. If there were no speed limits, I'd be all over it. But I'd be speeding like crazy I'm afraid and it's too easy to go insane speeds in this car. Driving it sanely...well don't think that's very realistic for me or fun. Although the sound is good at any speed. I don't think I could go V6 on this car after driving the SS.

Anyway, that's my take. Even if I don't buy one right now....to me I was incredibly impressed. The gen 6 SS is the real deal.
Yeah, this car will consistently put a smile of your face. You are right about the power. You have to excercise control a lot of the time. However, the GEN 6 is much more refined so it drives really smooth when you are just cruising and then it turns into a beast when you put your foot in it. I still think it is fun with all the low end torque. I used to have a manual GEN 5 1LE, it was a blast but I went with the A8 this time and I really like it.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #96
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
Looks like the 20% off MSRP did not spur sales like GM thought it would
Saw a new 2SS sitting on the lot today with $14,000 off.....ouch, guess I was smart not to buy the new 1LE.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #97
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Saw a new 2SS sitting on the lot today with $14,000 off.....ouch, guess I was smart not to buy the new 1LE.
Or so you keep repeating.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #98
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Reality is a B, don't know what to say.........The facts are the facts, these cars are already getting pounded on depreciation....I guess you think that everyone should just blindly go into the night, without knowing what is really going on (because they are too exited to look). I don't....If I can save someone from being upside down $15,000 IN 6 MONTHS, i am going to do it. I wish I would have know when I bought my last one and I CAN afford it. I get it, you are a GM/Camaro fan and that's great, but don't let your dislike of dissenting opinions affect someone that might get financially hurt because they had blinders on.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote