Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #85
azrickster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM 6M #38916
Strange your bushings wore out so quickly. I have to say, I was really shocked at the lack of quality of the OEM shift mechanism. I expected better :( but really glad I installed the Hurst shifter. WAY better!
azrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #86
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
That's great....but cant find them !!!
PM Sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE CENTERING SPRINGS/INTERIOR RUBBER DUST BOOT(it's v6) SO THAT I CAN DROP THE SHIFTER?!
thanks
Springs? Is that an auto? I've only worked on my stick shifter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrickster View Post
I installed my Hurst shifter over the weekend. Took just under two hours, now that o know what to do, I can do it in about an hour. Thanks for posting the pics and video clips. It was very helpful. Love the new shifter. Looks awesome and makes driving tthe Camaro even more fun.
Rick
You got it. Now...try dropping that bad boy and tossing in those brass bushings. HOLY SH!T!!! TOTAL new shifter feel! I've had them in for what...a couple weeks now? The new feel is absolutely incredible. I would ONLY recommend this shifter with the brass bushings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrickster View Post
Strange your bushings wore out so quickly. I have to say, I was really shocked at the lack of quality of the OEM shift mechanism. I expected better :( but really glad I installed the Hurst shifter. WAY better!
Yeah...stock shifter SUCKED. There was SO much play with it. It was like an oar in a rowboat. Sorry GM. But I wasn't happy with that at all. In fact, if I had the cash, I'd upgrade to a 1LE with the new shifter, tranny, rear end, everything. This stock shifter was crap... from right off the bat, I KNEW I had to so something with it. Can't believe the change that was made just by adding the Hurst shifter with the bushings. WOW>
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #87
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Cant find the brass bushings...but Kenji came through and Hurst is sending me an updated set under warranty....I hope they last...will keep you guys posted.
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #88
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
This thing is awesome, and I have had mine installed for a year. I have to ask (I know it's probably obvious to most of you and silly that I'd ask)... what will the brass bushing do vs the nylon one that came with the kit?

The feel of my shifter is still awesome. It pops right into each gear, and the only time I ever feel uneasy is when the skip shift decides to override my decision about shifting into 2nd.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #89
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
This thing is awesome, and I have had mine installed for a year. I have to ask (I know it's probably obvious to most of you and silly that I'd ask)... what will the brass bushing do vs the nylon one that came with the kit?

The feel of my shifter is still awesome. It pops right into each gear, and the only time I ever feel uneasy is when the skip shift decides to override my decision about shifting into 2nd.
Time to get a skip shift eliminator
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #90
Speed2acer

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS Summit White/Inferno
Send a message via Skype™ to Speed2acer
Anyone have trouble with the HURST brass bushings not fitting correctly? mine will only go in half the way and is now stuck.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #91
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2acer View Post
Anyone have trouble with the HURST brass bushings not fitting correctly? mine will only go in half the way and is now stuck.
Depending on which ones you have, they almost press into the shift shaft and the pin needs to be burnished to fit, it is a tight fit and so far mine is still operating perfectly.

Last edited by sycraft; 07-07-2013 at 07:05 AM.
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #92
Raptor3141

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT M6
Just installed NH-SS's brass bushings yesterday. Burnishing was a PIA but, got it done. The problem I ran into was getting the fork perfectly aligned with the shifter to get the pin installed because the tolerances are so close.

Word of caution: I had developed a rattle in my shifter and wasn't sure what it was. When I went to remove the shifter, I found that both retaining screws has fallen out and were lying in the dust boot. Maker sure you get plenty of lock-tight (supplied with the shifter) on the threads when installing.

The result of the new bushing install wasn't even comparable. There is now NO play in the shift handle at all. Feels great.
Raptor3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #93
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2acer View Post
I used a vice. Aligned one on one side and pressed it in, then did the other. The problem I found was that with the brass bushings with the rubber rings, the rings popped out of the rivets and got smushed in between the brass rivet edge and the fork. Therefore, it created a tiny gap on either side which ended up causing a pain in my ass trying to get that fork to slide on on either side. There wasn't enough room.

I had to use a razor, catch the edge of the rubber ring, pull out as much as I could, and then press that somnabitch with all my might. It pushed them in near all the way and then I hauled @ss to get the shifter in and fork on before what rubber was left in the rings pushed it back out.

But it worked....and worked well. NO play. I'd use a press or vice if I was you. There's really on reason it shouldn't continue to go in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3141 View Post
Just installed NH-SS's brass bushings yesterday. Burnishing was a PIA but, got it done. The problem I ran into was getting the fork perfectly aligned with the shifter to get the pin installed because the tolerances are so close. EXACTLY.

Word of caution: I had developed a rattle in my shifter and wasn't sure what it was. When I went to remove the shifter, I found that both retaining screws has fallen out and were lying in the dust boot. Maker sure you get plenty of lock-tight (supplied with the shifter) on the threads when installing.
And never expect to take them out. Talk about a PITA!!!
The result of the new bushing install wasn't even comparable. There is now NO play in the shift handle at all. Feels great.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #94
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Just thought I would chime in. I just received this as a birthday gift last week. I have a m6 LFX. The video hurst put up is good to watch. I probably watched it 10 times before I got it as a gift and then another 3 before i installed. Everything was going well until I couldn't get the stock shifter out. In the instructions they give you a small little blurb about the centering springs and that's it. No pictures, no tutorial nothing in the video, nothing. I wound up fighting this god forsaken thing for an hour and a half. I had snips in my hand, and was about to cut the dust boot open to see what the hell was going on. You can't take the dust boot off, and the only way you can see into it is by using your fingers to try and open it up from the small hole where the shifter goes through. It's freaking impossible. I tried screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, fingers, still couldn't get them to loosen the shifter. The springs are on both sides of the shifter, it holds up the shifter from coming out both the top nd the bottom. As a last straw, I pulled up on the shifter from inside the car. Then with it up all the way, I pulled it towards the passenger side of the vehicle and twisted and it came out. I couldn't believe it came out that way. I had to then reach back in and fix the springs because I was trying to move them around. Then i went back under the car and in probably 15 minutes I was done down there.

I tried to contact hurst to tell them how disappointed I was in their lack of instruction and guidance with this issue. I left a voicemail for someone who I was told I would have to talk to, and they never called me back. I'm disappointed that try never called me because it says to me as a consumer, "we already got your money, it's your problem now." Whereas if they would do the right thing and show people what is necessary to do the job, i would have better things to say about them. I can't say I would recommend them, solely based on the experience I have had. Yeah the shifter is nice, but had I know of the problem I would have removing the old one, I would haven't done it. Or had someone else do it. I am mechanically inclined, I just feel misguided.

It would be nice if hurst would get back to me, but I'm sure they are too busy counting their $$.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #95
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
Cant find the brass bushings...but Kenji came through and Hurst is sending me an updated set under warranty....I hope they last...will keep you guys posted.

Hey Kenji, I havent received these bushings yet? Your sales rep said no tracking available...can you please check on the delivery for me...Thanks!
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #96
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
I don't mean to crash the page, but i have a 2012 camaro n it has the hurst shifter but is there a difference from that hurst to the one with the white ball? Or is it still the same short shifts and its more of a different look?
H/C + Bolt-ons + Tune •485RWHP/435RWTQ•
Full BMR Stage 2&3 Suspension
3.91 1LE Gear Diff Swap
MGW Short Throw Shifter
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #97
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
It's probably just the lower stick attachment that they changed. Try popping off your 4 pack gauges and the 4 screws that hold the boot on and look to see if you have the 2 screws holding on the upper stick. If its not 2 pieces I might not be hurst.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #98
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Just thought I would chime in. I just received this as a birthday gift last week. I have a m6 LFX. The video hurst put up is good to watch. I probably watched it 10 times before I got it as a gift and then another 3 before i installed. Everything was going well until I couldn't get the stock shifter out. In the instructions they give you a small little blurb about the centering springs and that's it. No pictures, no tutorial nothing in the video, nothing. I wound up fighting this god forsaken thing for an hour and a half. I had snips in my hand, and was about to cut the dust boot open to see what the hell was going on. You can't take the dust boot off, and the only way you can see into it is by using your fingers to try and open it up from the small hole where the shifter goes through. It's freaking impossible. I tried screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, fingers, still couldn't get them to loosen the shifter. The springs are on both sides of the shifter, it holds up the shifter from coming out both the top nd the bottom. As a last straw, I pulled up on the shifter from inside the car. Then with it up all the way, I pulled it towards the passenger side of the vehicle and twisted and it came out. I couldn't believe it came out that way. I had to then reach back in and fix the springs because I was trying to move them around. Then i went back under the car and in probably 15 minutes I was done down there.

I tried to contact hurst to tell them how disappointed I was in their lack of instruction and guidance with this issue. I left a voicemail for someone who I was told I would have to talk to, and they never called me back. I'm disappointed that try never called me because it says to me as a consumer, "we already got your money, it's your problem now." Whereas if they would do the right thing and show people what is necessary to do the job, i would have better things to say about them. I can't say I would recommend them, solely based on the experience I have had. Yeah the shifter is nice, but had I know of the problem I would have removing the old one, I would haven't done it. Or had someone else do it. I am mechanically inclined, I just feel misguided.

It would be nice if hurst would get back to me, but I'm sure they are too busy counting their $$.
From what I remembered, the instructions were for the V8 shifters only. It's been a LONG time. I honestly don't have any idea what you were talking about with springs and hate to say that if you would have asked, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. Sorry... Would liked to have helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCAMARO 2SS/RS View Post
I don't mean to crash the page, but i have a 2012 camaro n it has the hurst shifter but is there a difference from that hurst to the one with the white ball? Or is it still the same short shifts and its more of a different look?
You have the stock GM hurst shifter. Nothing wrong with it. If I were you, I'd stick with it. This H shifter (with the white ball) has a tiny bit shorter throw. It's a great shifter and with the brass bushings...really can't be beat (IMHO).