Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I doubt that GM will be able to maintain 100k sales/year. They can, however, keep interest in the Camaro alive through the convertible a year after production starts...then maybe...a Z28 after that...
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #16
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Yeah I agree...give the options they have this year, the vert the next and then bring in the Z28 the year after...should keep the interest up.

But...how many folks are holding out for the vert and the Z28? Enough to hold the market share...I don't know?
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legend View Post
Yeah I agree...give the options they have this year, the vert the next and then bring in the Z28 the year after...should keep the interest up.

But...how many folks are holding out for the vert and the Z28? Enough to hold the market share...I don't know?
I forgot about the convertible, that will definitely help second year sales
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
It's such a big worry. Sport coupes just don't sell anymore. Discounting two door G6's, and Accords, the only sport coupes left, sold in this country are the mustang and Mitsubishi Eclipse. We can only hope. I do put the GTO in a different category. It wasn't sporty enough, and there was no V6 model. There is a built in Camaro audience out there...42,000 i guess. Of course, with no Firebird, roughly 33,000 they were selling a year should go to the Camaro. So , optimistically, that's 75,000 right there. The big concern is whether they can maintain 100,000 sales a year.
These numbers are blowing my mind. A 100K Camaros a year? I know there is a lot of Camaro lovers, but 100K a year. With the economy in the dump and people loosing their homes. I fear that number might be far in between. But heres to dreaming.

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
Who really cares if the car sticks around.. As long as you get your 2010 or 2011 camaro. It should be all good. It would be better if they ended the production, because you will have a collector's item. Ha
I care because I can't get a 2010, maybe not even a 2011 (unless I get used). As for collector items, I doubt it. It is only the cleanest and rarest of cars that end up beating inflation.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
If I remember correctly, the GTO didn't even sell that many cars combined for the 2004-06 models! And that was a great car, albeit very homely...

Dudes - not to incite a riot; but, did you sit in and look at the GTO. It was so plastic that I opted to lease a Crossfire. Same blind spot and better performance, fit and finish. Sorry; but, I still like a solid feel and sound when you close the door.
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
They need to sell 80,000 cars and hope to sell 100,000+ according to Chevy's statements then? This sounds pretty optimistic considering the last year of production they sold 42,000.

If I remember correctly, the GTO didn't even sell that many cars combined for the 2004-06 models! And that was a great car, albeit very homely...
Due to it's price the GTO is only comparable to the Camaro SS. In that regard the Camaro is better or at least as good in most categories such as price/performance/style. I say this liking the GTO, if money is tight when I'm ready to buy a used 06 GTO will be on my shortlist. My point is the SS is planned as only ~20% of the long term Camaro production though which means a goal of 15-20k SS models that going by GTO sales is very realistic IMO. GM is counting on the V6 to bring in the sales though. It's not the most fun or the most practical car but it's a rare mix of both at a price that is in reach of a large number of people. If the auto industry continues to slump overall that will effect all models but this would only delay the Camaro's profitability, which would not kill the car but simply lead to a longer time until it gets refreshed or in the worst case cancelled.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
kmn5

Drives: Lexus SC300
I just had a vision of seeing a Camaro on every block in nyc

hmmmm would having 80k of the same cars running around, then having one wouldn't so special any more
kmn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
They need to sell 80,000 cars and hope to sell 100,000+ according to Chevy's statements then? This sounds pretty optimistic considering the last year of production they sold 42,000.

Don't forget that Firebird sales were also F-body. I think that they are hoping stronger numbers then that because this time at least to start it is just Camaro.
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Remember this new Camaro is far above the other production camaro.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
1967rsss

Drives: 67, 68, 88, 98, 10, 12 ZL1 Camaros
GM stopped promoting the F-bodys, and wanted them to die off.

Now they are going to build one of the best looking Camaros of all time.

The problem is the economy.

Now the next question will be, how do they out do them selves for the 6th gen?
1967rsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
AParker

Drives: Silver SS ordered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The goal was 80-100k cars a year. Then gas prices spiked. When gas prices started to come down, credit evaporated. But GM is doing better than the other automakers right now and everything says that the Camaro should be better than the competition. I'd say that GM will be closer (as a %) to their sales goal than Dodge will be with the Challenger.
woah that's a lot of cars to sell in this economy! I got faith tho this is one of the best value performance cars available right now. Heres to the economy picking up later this year so GM can reach the target soon
AParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
Who really cares if the car sticks around.. As long as you get your 2010 or 2011 camaro. It should be all good. It would be better if they ended the production, because you will have a collector's item. Ha
I care.... I would like for the General to make money and survive. I may need new parts and warranty work in the future.

My gut tells me that the Camaro will make money for the General because:

1. It is much better looking than either the 02 Camaro or any Mustang;
2. The remarkable OHC V-6 for the low 20's, and
3. The bargain basement SS for low to mid 30's if you stay on a diet from some of the overpriced wheels and other options- no other car offers that much bang for that low a price, including Mustang or Challenger.

And no collector car for at least 30 years! I don't plan to keep it that long. All these cars will depreciate.

Regarding the GTO, it failed BECAUSE it looked like a Grand Am. Ugly (or ordinary) doesn't sell, unless you are shopping for a minivan. Just ask Jaguar, who have been using good looks to sell POS cars for years. Even the biggest Mopar and Ford fanatics couldn't honestly call the new Camaro ugly or ordinary looking.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AParker View Post
woah that's a lot of cars to sell in this economy! I got faith tho this is one of the best value performance cars available right now. Heres to the economy picking up later this year so GM can reach the target soon
Like I said, that was the goal. I will be very surprised if they sell more than 70 000 for 2010 now, given the market. But there are 10 000+ on order right now and the 2010 MY will have a run of 20 months to add up sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Regarding the GTO, it failed BECAUSE it looked like a Grand Am. Ugly (or ordinary) doesn't sell, unless you are shopping for a minivan. Just ask Jaguar, who have been using good looks to sell POS cars for years. Even the biggest Mopar and Ford fanatics couldn't honestly call the new Camaro ugly or ordinary looking.
I won't dispute that it looked ordinary, but the Grand Am was the most styled Pontiac car at the time. The G5, G6, GTO, and to a lesser extent the Grand Prix, were all blobs with a split grill.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote